Is the Compact Disk (CD) Dead?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

however, vinyl will never go away and there will still be a market for deluxe sets in the future.
Actually vinyl did go away for awhile.

I pretty much buy vinyl exclusively. I don

I have all of my CDs backed up on an external hard drive and loaded onto iTunes. If I want to listen to music, I fire up the hard drive, flick on the Airport Express on my receiver, turn on my computer's Airport connection, open iTunes...and by that time I've forgotten what I wanted to hear so I put it on shuffle.

I miss the old days.

as someone who is on a indie label i'd say the CD is dying quick.

labels are going towards wanting to only release albums digitally unless they know they can make their money back for sure.

the average person just doesnt buy cds anymore.

i played spaceland the other night with the great lake swimmers and numerous people said oh i'll buy your album on itunes or emusic. im sure their getting it off a blog/torrent site though.

I have all of my CDs backed up on an external hard drive and loaded onto iTunes. If I want to listen to music, I fire up the hard drive, flick on the Airport Express on my receiver, turn on my computer's Airport connection, open iTunes...and by that time I've forgotten what I wanted to hear so I put it on shuffle.

I miss the old days.

:rotfl

Oh brother! I do the same shit!

I still for the life of me don't understand how somebody could spend 9 - 12 bucks on a digital download. the quality is poor and you don't get any of the artwork (meaning booklet). You can spend the same amount on the CD and you'll have all the extras AND you'll be able to transfer the album at any mp3 rate to your itunes library. I transfer my CD's at 320 rate mp3 to my library.

I buy vinyl (on occasion) and i buy CD's...but i'll never spend my cash on itunes or any other mp3 site.

I'm not sure I agree with this, because the iPod can take care of all of this. Take the albums that come with digital downloads, and add the relatively pain free ease of digitizing the records that don't come with downloads, and you can pretty much take your whole collection with you. And easily to boot. I'm also not sure if the vinyl resurgence is a trend or likely to stick around for a little while...I need to think about that one some more.

Not all vinyls come with digital downloads, although admittedly more do now that used to. You can't download all those great used records that are available at record stores, resale shops, house sales, and picked out of garbage cans.

VeeDee's new double vinyl came with a copy of the CD, so some artists are thinking really proactively. Downloads don't last forever either, so if you forget to download within a year you are screwed.

Like everything, the vinyl resurgence is a trend.....not that it is going to end any time soon, because I am convinced it is the one thing that is keeping the hard copy music biz alive for the time being, but inevitably people are going to get tired of of vinyl again. I mean how many times can you play that used Billy Joel album you bought for a buck. And frankly buying a new album on vinyl for 18 or 20 bucks is also sort of a rip-off, with or without a digital download.

Frankly I have no idea where the music business is headed (I think the Robbie Fulks 50 song download is one place however), but I sincerely doubt that one hundred year old technology is going to last another hundred years. I am going to guess that a goodly percentage of folks on this board no longer have LAN line phones either. The LP is a nice throw back that has alot of nostalgic appeal to folks right about now. But of course I believed that the internal compustion engine would be gone by now too and it isn't, so go figure.

(How many of you still use an analog camera??, which clearly takes better pictures than digital ones doesn't it, I mean doesn't it...oh yea..not THAT much better....)

LouieB

I still for the life of me don't understand how somebody could spend 9 - 12 bucks on a digital download. the quality is poor and you don't get any of the artwork (meaning booklet). You can spend the same amount on the CD and you'll have all the extras AND you'll be able to transfer the album at any mp3 rate to your itunes library. I transfer my CD's at 320 rate mp3 to my library.

I buy vinyl (on occasion) and i buy CD's...but i'll never spend my cash on itunes or any other mp3 site.

This is where I'm at. I typically also only buy used cds/lps and the occasional new cd/lp. To me it doesn't make sense that you would buy from itunes...but I guess that's just me.

This is where I'm at. I typically also only buy used cds/lps and the occasional new cd/lp. To me it doesn't make sense that you would buy from itunes...but I guess that's just me.

I have never bought an iTune in my life either, but I don't think folks here are typical music consumers. Those folks who do buy from iTunes want the thing to plug into there iPod and maybe can't even tell that the sound is not so good and could care less about the "extras". The convenience of a download is undeniable if all you want is the music and the convenience of instant music.

LouieB

Exactly. I've been buying a TON of used CD's off Amazon. You get some great deals on there.

Exactly. I've been buying a TON of used CD's off Amazon. You get some great deals on there.

For sure...you can get a deal on CDs within a couple weeks of them coming out through online dealers.

LouieB

I get most of my stuff off eMusic. Tracks cost roughly a quarter, making an album cost about $3. The quality is pretty good. Plus, with the lack of record stores here in Fort Worth, I prefer the instant gratification to waiting for albums to ship. It also enables me to try out artists that I wouldn't otherwise be willing to spend 9-12 bucks on for a CD.

My thoughts exactly. I can buy new CDs from Amazon prime, with free 2-day shipping and no sales tax, for the same price as a digital download. The only reason to use the iTunes store is to buy singles, but I don't really buy singles.

My thoughts exactly. I can buy new CDs from Amazon prime, with free 2-day shipping and no sales tax, for the same price as a digital download. The only reason to use the iTunes store is to buy singles, but I don't really buy singles.

Some people use the excuse that it takes up too much space now to have a CD. Yeah, i can understand that, especially considering the # of CD's that i own...but you can always ditch the jewel case and use plastic/paper slips.

It's not dead with me as I still buy retail CDs and LPs as well as CD-r media for burning lossless downloads.

Same here. I still enjoy buying CDs, but if I could only get music in digital form, I'd deal.

I burn my downloads to CD-Rs (which are also getting scarcer and scarcer). I'm surprised not that many people do. I have an older stereo and no way to play my iPod through it. (I mean, I guess there is a way, but I'm too lazy to.) To my probably not-too-nuanced hearing, they sound fine.

as someone who is on a indie label i'd say the CD is dying quick.

labels are going towards wanting to only release albums digitally unless they know they can make their money back for sure.

the average person just doesnt buy cds anymore.

i played spaceland the other night with the great lake swimmers and numerous people said oh i'll buy your album on itunes or emusic. im sure their getting it off a blog/torrent site though.

the people that want it and that want to support you will get the music legitimately. others may get it 'free' but only listen to it a few times only to delete it. consumers finally have the power to review music before they buy it. i used to buy lots of music, only to get totally screwed by how bad it was. now, i 'review' music and buy what a really like and by artists who really have something to say and aren't just some 'other indie band' clogging up the already saturated pipes.

true, downloads are way overpriced. $5 for an album would solve a lot of problems with pirating and bring in so much more revenue. the ease of downloading at itunes or amazon is so great. if albums were only $5, i would never torrent again. seriously!

I get most of my stuff off eMusic. Tracks cost roughly a quarter, making an album cost about $3. The quality is pretty good. Plus, with the lack of record stores here in Fort Worth, I prefer the instant gratification to waiting for albums to ship. It also enables me to try out artists that I wouldn't otherwise be willing to spend 9-12 bucks on for a CD.

personally, my problem with emusic is that i download 30 songs in half an hour on a whim only to delete it all later. my $10 is better spent on a new cd that i really really want. the next one being the new wilco:)

It's all about the vinyl with the download code. MP3's you can burn or throw on an ipod and a big fat chunk of gatefold art with a slab of vinyl inside. That's how I like to see it done.

There are times being old is a good thing....I remember when LPs (and 45s) were the only way you could buy music (pretty much.) Meanwhile I just went out yesterday and bought 13 Edison disks for a friend that looked in really good shape. Talk about slabs of vinyl....these fuckers can withstand a nuclear blast.....of course you have to have exactly the right kind of player since Edision didn't put out standard 10 inch 78s. Generally they were played on wind-up machines since much of America didn't have electricity when they came out. That was the ultimate friendly technology, but of course you still couldn't jog with a big old wooden record player, but then again no one HAD to jog because they worked their asses off rather than sitting in cubicles and shit. But they are the same technology as an LP. (Later I will post up what the titles and artists are....one was Ernest Stoneman....)

LouieB

It's all about the vinyl with the download code. MP3's you can burn or throw on an ipod and a big fat chunk of gatefold art with a slab of vinyl inside. That's how I like to see it done.

Couldn't agree more.