Post-Velvets  

32 members have voted

1. 1. John or Lou?

• John Cale
    • Lou Reed
    • It's a toss-up
    • What about Mo?!

Okay, here's another one.

I, for one, am a John Cale guy. I find his solo stuff to be infinitely more varied, stylistically and more interesting, as well.

He's not a "street poet" like Lou, but when he strives to poetry, his is of a more studied, literate type. And yet, he still has tunes that can tear your face off.

Nothing against Lou, who I like, but John is unendingly interesting and engaging.

Plus, Paris, 1919 is one of my all-time favorite albums.

For me it's Lou.

I like Cale a lot - and would also put Paris 1919 way up there, but for me there is more Lou material that I really like. I've been listening to Berlin recently. Blue Mask remains an all time favorite. I just got copies of New York and his first one on CD. I even like some of his live stuff - Rock n Roll Animal and Live in Italy in particular.

With that said, neither of them has put anything out in a while that has really engaged me.

Cale by far for me.

and that's not to put down Lou's solo output, but John's stuff is much more up my alley usually.

and yeah, i think we can agree that Paris 1919 might be the best all around post-Velvets solo release

For me it's Lou by a wide margin. Most of his solo stuff I like, and imho New York is one of the greatest records ever made. That one is just SCARY good.

Paris 1919 never clicked with me at all (is it supposed to be boring?), and most of Cale's other stuff is a bit... I dunno, obtuse? Reed by a landslide. If anything, I'm even a big fan of the solo albums we aren't "supposed" to like (Blue Mask, Street Hassle, Ecstasy et al).

i need to check out Paris 1919. i've only ever heard Vintage Violence, which i love and is why i voted for Cale.

well you've got to get yourself paris 1919 immediately, as it's one of the greatest albums ever made. but, apart from that can i recommend you pick up this at the same time. it includes the three albums following paris 1919 (fear, slow dazzle & helen of troy) plus a few bonus tracks too. all of those albums are essential listening, and so it works out a great package for the price.

as for the john cale/lou reed debate. i think cale is a better musician, better lyricist, better arranger, brilliant producer, released more great albums, nicer person, and most importantly - doesn't look like an old lesbian (unlike mr reed), plus lou reed's shtick is far too shticky for me.

Lou Reed ..... it must be true that none of the solo Reed albums even touch any of the Velvets albums but still.

Lou Reed did go from orginal punk to pervert rock n roller pretty fast but still Lou!!!

Coney Island Baby as an example not thrilling but sweet and well something about it

Lou Reed. For his voice (of unique, leather tone) and his fascinating rock attitude. John Cale could do the best he wanted, he could never beat that, which he knew himself since the Velvet days already.

Reed and Cale share a common point that I like from them: they can be crazy on record.

None of them have been up to the Velvet, though. Who knows, the secret weapon might have been Sterling Morrison.

None of them have been up to the Velvet, though. Who knows, the secret weapon might have been Sterling Morrison.
I think the secret weapon was youth, chemistry and unique sound (not to mention the 60s....).

Songs for Drella is an excellent album with the John and Lou sharing the spotlight.

LouieB

Cale gets this for me as well Paris 1919, Fear, and Vintage Violence get the slight edge over Lou's string of good albums in the 70's, and Cale's stuff has remained pretty consistently interesting if not quite as good quality wise since.

--Mike