Lambchop, Bonnie "Prince" Billy or M Ward?

I only know Lambchop well out of those.

The Albums I have in order that I like them are:

Nixon

Tools In The Dryer: A Rarities Compilation

Aw C'mon

No, You C'mon - These two (Aw, & No) are essentially the same album in my view.

How I Quit Smoking

Is a Woman - This one is very very low Key

Damaged

What Another Man Spills

The Decline of Western Civilization Vol 2: The Wooodwind Years

Hank

I am sure some would rank these way differently than I have. But each has its own character so each appeals to a different set of listening parameters.

Nixon is a great album but I feel the last two tracks don't quite fit in with the feel of the record. If you take those two off, the first eight songs would make the best album in the world, ever. I agree with your comment that each one has its own character. I absolutely love Damaged but it doesn't seem to get as much love as other albums. The new one OHio is also pretty good, although not up there with Nixon/Is A Woman/Damaged.

They also put out a really good live DVD last year called 'No such silence' which is a great watch and a good introduction to the band. I believe it was only available online. There was a very interesting documentary on the disc.

As an aside, one thing I really like about Kurt Wagner is that he is a really good 'swearer'. Some of the profanity on the Lambchop records is strangly appealing. That may be childish but I do like some rudeness on my records, especially from a voice like Kurt's.

Safe to assume that you don't think I See A Darkness is the most beautifully haunting song ever written, huh? He's not being "intentionally shitty." Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but that's not an opinion IMO, and that's the difference.

good one.

Continue to debate, by all means, but I just wanted to say thanks for all of the good information and opinions on the subject so far. Also, the fighting is always fun too. Really, though. Thanks!

not to blow my own trumpet, but i review both Damaged (which i think is great) and OH(ohio) (which i think is not so great). you can read them here and here Hopefully my writing doesn't put you off Lambchop.

Right on... thanks!

I know I'm a little late to the game, but since M Ward is involved........Yes, I'm gonna have to say that he is my choice of the three.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard either of the other two. :lol

What I like most about this thread is that now I have a desire to delve into Lambchop and BPB!!! :thumbup Thanks!

Guest Hollinger.
as boring as your reaction.

seriously, what's the fucking difference between me expressing my opinion on this thread and others who have listed a preference for one of the three artists in question?

Sorry man, but you seem to pop up in any thread that even mentions him to go off about how "intentionally awful" he is. So far, I've yet to see anyone agree with it.

Sorry man, but you seem to pop up in any thread that even mentions him to go off about how "intentionally awful" he is. So far, I've yet to see anyone agree with it.

better watch out. i do pop up a lot around here with opinions that no one else agrees with (which doesn't qualify them as non-opinions).

Looking to dive in and spend some time with one of these fantastic artists. I have very little knowledge of any of their works and I am looking for a new artist to sit with for awhile. If you could pick only one, which would you pick and what album would you start with?

Palace/BPB without a doubt, and this record (his 2nd, unofficially known as Days in the Wake)

palacebrothers-daysinthewake.jpg

seriously, what's the fucking difference between me expressing my opinion on this thread and others who have listed a preference for one of the three artists in question?

because the original poster wanted a recommendation from the three posted. not some naybobber of negativity pissing all over them.

got the fucking difference?

because the original poster wanted a recommendation from the three posted. not some naybobber of negativity pissing all over them.

got the fucking difference?

if you look at my initial post, i recommend M.Ward over the others.

I recently picked up I See A Darkness and i like it alot now but when an album is suposed to be a classic i expect to hear something else

Ive written better songs than I see a darkness. not knocking the guy obviously thats his style, very hip indeed.

I recently picked up I See A Darkness and i like it alot now but when an album is suposed to be a classic i expect to hear something else

Ive written better songs than I see a darkness. not knocking the guy obviously thats his style, very hip indeed.

good point. i guess some might call it a brilliant mess. anyway, watch out for the backlash.

"Beautifully haunting" is a very good way to describe "I See a Darkness." :thumbup

Did he duet with J. Cash on his version of the same song? I don't have my liner notes with me at work. :)

That version alone should have been enough to make me seek BPB out before now... I think I've heard some Palace Bro's stuff, but I'm really digging me some M. Ward at the moment.

well that's his style on that album. which is why he's a good artist. because he progressed and passed through a number of styles since then; and had done so up to that point also.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input again. I went to Record Store Day at my local establishment with my first thought being that I was going to grab Nixon by Lambchop.... but they didn't have it, and then being further shackled by inventory I settled for "Lie Down in the Light" by Bonnie "Prince" Billy and "Hold Time" by M Ward. I've been listening to them fairly often since I picked them up and I really like them both quite a bit. They both fit different moods for me, so it is hard to pick one over the other, but in a pinch I'll take M Ward. His music is "Cool" you know? BPB music is more "pretty". That sounds super hokey. Anyway, to further state unsolicited opinions, "You Want That Picture" by BPB and "For Beginners" by M Ward are my favorite tunes so far. I think I'll have to jump on iTunes and grab Nixon (yes, I still pay for all my music) even though I prefer supporting my local economy.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't explain, but within the past 6 months "Is a Woman" by Lambchop has become one of my favorite albums...I've pretty much grown to like all of Mr. Wagner's output, but that one's tops for me. I like "Jack's Tulips," "Damaged" and "OH" as well. Look to their earlier stuff if you want a more "country" sound.

my 2 cents on the 'chop: I prefer Is a Woman to Nixon but they both are good. I still think What Another Man Spills is my favorite. Thriller is real good, too. They are best enjoyed live if you get the chance. It's great to see how all the members create these wonderful songs.