Interesting take on the "wilco sound" from Gibson

not much new. oh well. rock on.

This is new to me (thanks!):

He also takes a Relic Les Paul with a Bigsby tremolo on the road along with his 1954 Gibson J-45 acoustic. His other acoustic guitars are a pair of Breedloves, a Martin 00-21 from the 1930s, and a 1972 Martin D-12. Plus he

That was interesting. No details on Pat's stuff though. I never noticed Jeff playing Tele's I guess. I do love that Blue SG with the Bigsby that he plays. Out of all his electrics, that would be the one I want.

I never noticed Jeff playing Tele's I guess. I do love that Blue SG with the Bigsby that he plays.

Tele:

29_wilco.jpg

yes the Blue SG is badass, never seen one in that color so it must be Custom.

I have to admit I don't like the blue SG. SG's gotta be red.

image_5379901.jpg

Jeff played a Strat in Knoxville on one song. I can't remember which song it was, and I don't recall seeing him play a Strat at any other show. Anyone have any details on the Strat?

Jeff played a Strat in Knoxville on one song. I can't remember which song it was, and I don't recall seeing him play a Strat at any other show. Anyone have any details on the Strat?

going to see them tomorrow, ill try to cap a picture of the strat

Ill post a pic later, just got back...It was an old black USA strat maple neck with a round red WFMU sticker...sure it was vintage, although kind resembled those 'reliced' ones

they hock these days

The Les Paul Jeff has is a flamed tiger maple standard with bigsby, he used it on Boxfull of letters

Nels has a new (i think) Jaguar, silver with silver headstock, with a charlie christian pickup at the neck...dont know if the pic came out, Jeff saw me take it and i felt silly, considering the horrible and inattentive crowd tonight

I believe that Nels also is now using 2 kaoss pads, not 1

It makes me kind of angry when people act like Nels saved Wilco or something. Jay's playing was simple but to me also more accessible.

You're misreading the quote. They said quantum leap, not save.

Ill post a pic later, just got back...It was an old black USA strat maple neck with a round red WFMU sticker...sure it was vintage, although kind resembled those 'reliced' ones

they hock these days

The Les Paul Jeff has is a flamed tiger maple standard with bigsby, he used it on Boxfull of letters

Nels has a new (i think) Jaguar, silver with silver headstock, with a charlie christian pickup at the neck...dont know if the pic came out, Jeff saw me take it and i felt silly, considering the horrible and inattentive crowd tonight

I believe that Nels also is now using 2 kaoss pads, not 1

sorry flash was off

IMG_9800.jpg

This is new to me (thanks!):

He also takes a Relic Les Paul with a Bigsby tremolo on the road along with his 1954 Gibson J-45 acoustic. His other acoustic guitars are a pair of Breedloves, a Martin 00-21 from the 1930s, and a 1972 Martin D-12. Plus he

Unless someone from Wilco told them otherwise, it's pretty sad that Gibson can't even date their own guitars based on obvious visual clues. The J-45 is a '55, best case, since that's the first year for the batwing pickguard. I've never seen him play a J-45 with the teardrop PG common to the model from '42 - '54.

Good observation! Id have to say that sadly dating gibsons exactly is often impossible...serials get murky before the '60's, and many models ended up getting made from what ever parts and materials they had at the time...ive owned Js, lgos and B-25 models guitars from the same era that each had different pickguards, neck blocks and bracing...

Based on what ive encountered, it isnt far fetched to think that jeff's '54 might not have left the factory until '55 with the new pickguard...or the pickguard was retrofitted during the later fifties seeing as how he was not the original owner...

The article in question was actually much better than i thought it would be, although nothing but slick marketing...i mean look how much it has gotten us to talk about gibsons...it is interesting, im sure they winced at having to even mention Nels's fenders

Good observation! Id have to say that sadly dating gibsons exactly is often impossible...serials get murky before the '60's, and many models ended up getting made from what ever parts and materials they had at the time...ive owned Js, lgos and B-25 models guitars from the same era that each had different pickguards, neck blocks and bracing...

Based on what ive encountered, it isnt far fetched to think that jeff's '54 might not have left the factory until '55 with the new pickguard...or the pickguard was retrofitted during the later fifties seeing as how he was not the original owner...

The article in question was actually much better than i thought it would be, although nothing but slick marketing...i mean look how much it has gotten us to talk about gibsons...it is interesting, im sure they winced at having to even mention Nels's fenders

Granted, the only thing consistent about Gibson's are their inconsistency. I guess it all comes down to the FON on the neck block which probably isn't even legible. I had a '56 J-45 with a FON that was all but gone except for the V and most other J-45s and SJs I've seen from the mid 50's seem to have the same problem...

By the way, Jeff's J-45 has 20 frets which makes it a '55 at best...