The great iPod crash of 2009

Strange. Mine runs really fast, something that it didn't do when I housed everything on my internal HD.

I'm on an iMac I bought in '05. Pre-Intel processor = 1.9 GHz G5 and I have Adobe CS3 installed. That might have something to do with it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't mind illegally downloading, google searching what you want in quotation marks plus rapidshare or megaupload usually does the trick, you can add @320 if you're worried about sound quality. The At Ease Message Board has a ton of uploaded music in its archives in the music section, you have to register, but you can use the board's search function: it's just like VC, and see if you can find anything. Good luck, I've had an entire hard drive die on me: thankfully this wonderful program called senuti let me rip everything off of my ipod on to back on to our Mac when we fixed it, and lost an ipod as well. It's annoying and like you I have so many CD's, I don't even remember what I have or where half of them are these days.

--Mike

If you don't mind illegally downloading, google searching what you want in quotation marks plus rapidshare or megaupload usually does the trick, you can add @320 if you're worried about sound quality. The At Ease Message Board has a ton of uploaded music in its archives in the music section, you have to register, but you can use the board's search function: it's just like VC, and see if you can find anything. Good luck, I've had an entire hard drive die on me: thankfully this wonderful program called senuti let me rip everything off of my ipod on to back on to our Mac when we fixed it, and lost an ipod as well. It's annoying and like you I have so many CD's, I don't even remember what I have or where half of them are these days.

--Mike

yeah, i was going to say atease too. they've got links to virtually everything, if you look or ask someone and they'll find a link or upload it for you. be warned though. don't talk too much to any of them. they are very rude!

--Mike

Thank you so much!

I'm actually going to buy a second 1 TB drive to back up my backup. :lol

that's a good idea.

it not's *if* the hard drive will fail, it's *when*.

and i am *way* behind in backing up my data...i've got at least 50 gigs (shows, not GB...it's a lot more than 50GB) worth of photos w/ no redundancy right now...not good.

I'm in the market for my second external. Any recommendations?

you will always find people who have had failures w/ a specific brand and then swore off using them in the future.

i've had 7 different external hard drives...Western Digital, Maxtor, Seagate and Fantom. two have failed; a WD500 after over a year, and a Seagate after a few weeks. my Maxtor 300gb is my oldest and is at least 4 years old at this point. i've been happy w/ the Fantom drives i've gotten recently, but i really should look into a RAID system.

at least it's doing some serious crunching...iTunes is a colossal waste of resources for no good reason. run foobar and it'll be clear.

Say what? I agree iTunes sucks - what is foobar? (I mean, I googled it, and found info, but what's the skinny?)

that's a good idea.

it not's *if* the hard drive will fail, it's *when*.

and i am *way* behind in backing up my data...i've got at least 50 gigs (shows, not GB...it's a lot more than 50GB) worth of photos w/ no redundancy right now...not good.

Oh my god, please do something about this quick!!! Most of what I lost was my early concert photography. It gutted me!

Say what? I agree iTunes sucks - what is foobar? (I mean, I googled it, and found info, but what's the skinny?)

foobar is an open source media player, mp3 tagger, database etc...hugely customizable, and uses very little resources while running. if you are a coder you can do tons w/ it, or just use it like me...find someone's mod you like and use it.

you will still need iTunes (or something anapod) to move songs onto yr ipod.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys,

Yesterday I lost my entire record collection. I had everything on my iPod, and it crashed and everything disappeared. I tried everything I could think of to get it back, but it was no use, so I reformatted and am starting from scratch. I am first and foremost trying to get the "core" back, I've got all the Wilco studio stuff back on it, as well as some other significant records for me. I found quite a few live shows I lost on Owl and Bear (thank-you O&B!) but there are a few that I had that they don't have anymore (I can't find my disc copies)

October 14, 2005

and

March 17, 2006

I also lost a ton of Frank Zappa, ELO, Beach Boys, Wings and Slobberbone (these are records that I don't own and got from my friend Chris in Athens when I was down there... not going back any time soon either... :( )

If anybody could help me out I would be so very happy, right now I am using Google Blog search to find stuff... not really working too well.

Hope you all have a good day!

sarah

Since the PM deal is down - I will just reply to your post to let you know I found something you may want.

Plays anything and everything for free, and it's not as resource hoggy as iTunes. I have both, I use iTunes because I have an iPod that I actively manually manage, but foobar is a good alternative. It's not as fancy-looking as iTunes, but the ability to play anything from FLAC to wav to mp3 (and convert those formats back and forth) is a godsend. I use foobar mostly for file conversion nowadays since I am shoehorned into using iTunes.

ed: Wow, ok, a little late to the parade, I didn't notice.

Thanks A-Man!

I am still missing all the Beach Boys stuff... managed to find almost everything else I lost save for some live shows. I did get the particular Wilco shows I was looking for thanks to some awesome VC'ers. :)