I was disappointed about them in concert, even at 16. I remember the songs being pretty much note for note performances. The build up to Long Time was pretty cool, but I wasn't wowed.

yeah, that's true ... there wasn't any improv or anything ... but they just sounded great and had awesome dynamics and precision ... all the crap i craved as a teenager ...

EDIT: Sounds like you had a pretty sweet gig.

yeah, other than earning $4.35 an hour or whatever it was!

saw probably 50 shows that year

yeah, other than earning $4.35 an hour or whatever it was!

You made $4.35 in 1977? That's huge money. I was making $4.25 in 1988 at Wendy's, and the only perk to that job was that it was easy to steal french fries.

The first Boston album is better than most of the flavor-of-the-month hipster indie drivel championed in this forum.

probably the most important and concise statement about music these days. well said.

You made $4.35 in 1977? That's huge money. I was making $4.25 in 1988 at Wendy's, and the only perk to that job was that it was easy to steal french fries.

ahhh, dunno ... maybe it was $3.35?

it's all kind of a blur

everything before tuesday of this week is a blur

whatever minimum wage was i was probably earning

ahhh, dunno ... maybe it was $3.35?

it's all kind of a blur

everything before tuesday of this week is a blur

whatever minimum wage was i was probably earning

Must've been pretty low. The only reason I took the job at Wendy's was because Taco Bell was only offering $3-something.

EDIT>>>getting back to topic, I think there was a Boston song on the Wendy's in-house music service.

I looked through my vinyl and had Boston "Third Stage" in there. What a steamin pile that album is. Must be my wife's.

The first album is good though. Amazing guitar tones.

I looked through my vinyl and had Boston "Third Stage" in there. What a steamin pile that album is. Must be my wife's.

The first album is good though. Amazing guitar tones.

Maybe it's for sentimental reasons (it came out when I was 10 yrs old and I wore it out), but I break out Third Stage about once a year and the guitar tones still give me goosebumps. Especially in "We're Ready" , "My Destination" and "To Be a Man".

Maybe it's for sentimental reasons (it came out when I was 10 yrs old and I wore it out), but I break out Third Stage about once a year and the guitar tones still give me goosebumps. Especially in "We're Ready" , "My Destination" and "To Be a Man".

yes, those are great songs. too bad amanda was overplayed. it's not too bad either.

I was just thinking of Boston the other day. I liked and still like their first album. It brings back a lot of memories when I hear it. That was my high school days and a bunch of albums from that era I hear them today as if it were 30+ years ago. BOC, Ted Nugent, druggy Aerosmith, Journey, KISS, Van Halen, Cheap Trick, Schenker era UFO & Scorpions etc

Damn, I always hate bagging on something and then having someone like it. Now I feel bad. The album just never worked for me. Maybe because I hate "Amanda" so damn much it tainted everything else. Plus I knew someone that used to put that damn thing on every time I showed up like it was the greatest thing ever and it drove me crazy. You are right though, the guitar tones are still amazing although they sounded less heavy or raw or something to me.

Everything was better in the 70s.

Well.........mostly.

The popular stuff was way better than the popular stuff today, that is for sure. I'l take ABBA, Blondie, Olivia Newton John, and Anne Murray over Beyonce, Brittney, R kelly etc... any day.

Also not to divert attention on this thread, but the movies were a crap load better. God Father I & II, Taxi Driver, Chinatown, The Last Detail etc...

Everything was better in the 70s.

Well.........mostly.

Everyone has a special attachment to the time that they "came of age" or whatever, but I feel compelled to say that those of us who were in HS during the latter half of the '70s really got away with it - what an amazing time to be a young adult. Of course, I am so thankful that my kids weren't able to emulate me to that extreme. :lol

Everyone has a special attachment to the time that they "came of age" or whatever, but I feel compelled to say that those of us who were in HS during the latter half of the '70s really got away with it - what an amazing time to be a young adult. Of course, I am so thankful that my kids weren't able to emulate me to that extreme. :lol

Or so you've been told.

It's still the best-selling debut album of all time. At least it was at one time. I can't hear two notes of any of their songs without reaching for the radio knob.

I've heard that G'N'R has passed Boston. If not yet, it will. I've listened to the first Boston as much as anyone, but Appetite will still be appealing and selling 100 years from now.

i have no attachment to the 80s, which is when i grew up. the 80s blew assss! bad music, bad hair, bad production values. everything just went to shit. the 90s were a little bit better. (80-82 weren't too bad, it was still the 70s as it was still the 80s until 93)