Sears Tower's newest attraction

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It occurred to me as I sat white-knuckled and sweating in the dentist's office today, how ridiculous it is that I'm not the least bit concerned by any of the death drops in this thread, but I panic about getting my teeth cleaned.

Anyone seen this?

http://www.manonwire.com/

Besides me and chaslor, I mean. :wave

Great movie, that would probably make most of you pass out.

God, I remember that. It was NEWS. I mean, who would willingly do such a thing? And yeah, the stratosphere thing = no fucking way.

• 7 months later...

I'm not usually afraid of heights, but this photo (found via Twitter, no idea whose it is) terrifies me:

3855256580_dca234f4dc_o.jpg

On one hand it's irrational, of course. I mean, how many times have you been sitting somewhere - say, on the edge of a pier - and without warning pitched forward and fallen off? That doesn't just happen. At the same time, I keep looking at the guy leaning forward and thinking, STOP IT!

I don't know if it's photoshopped or what. I'd like to believe that it is, but it probably isn't.

On one hand it's irrational, of course. I mean, how many times have you been sitting somewhere - say, on the edge of a pier - and without warning pitched forward and fallen off? That doesn't just happen.

It's probably really windy up there, so it could easily happen. Plus, you'd likely be shaking with fear, making it more likely that you'd spasm and fall.

On a similar note, I was recently looking at some Life Magazine photos of the construction of the Empire State Building. Scary and amazing.

empire-state-workers-1930.jpg

EDIT:

PF412.jpg

It's probably really windy up there, so it could easily happen. Plus, you'd likely be shaking with fear, making it more likely that you'd spasm and fall.

On a similar note, I was recently looking at some Life Magazine photos of the construction of the Empire State Building. Scary and amazing.

empire-state-workers-1930.jpg

OSHA did not play a big role on those job sites.

Guest Speed Racer

I just watched a History Channel thing on Netflix of the building of the Golden Gate Bridge, and men are mighty casual about jumping around on the top of the suspension frame. They interview one man who fell and broke just about everything he had to break, because the safety net below him wasn't taut. And it might not have worked anyway, but damn.