Cinco de Mayo historically recognizes the Mexican army's defeat of the French army at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. At this battle, the French miliary was almost two-times the size of Mexican forces. The French army went undefeated for almost 50 years before this battle.

After the Battle of Puebla, the Americas were never invaded by another continent again.

If I didn't have to take my dog to obedience class tonight I'd definitely be paying Francisco and Jesus over at El Tapatio a visit for chimichangas and jumbo margaritas.

...and yet, pretty much no one in mexico celebrates this holiday. the real mexican independence day is 9/16 - 5/5 as a holiday is largely a US phenomenon and almost entirely a product of the marketing campaigns of beer and tequilla makers.

that said, any excuse for a couple shots of fire water is good for me.... we should just celebrate dieciseis de septiembre, tambien! :thumbup

I love the Liz Phair song. It is actually one of the best songs ever in that I can't get it out of my head after I hear it. But in a good way.

I made a shit ton of huevos con chorizo and am washing it down with negro modelo. iViva Mexico!

Do you have source for good chorizo in Des Moines? We've never gotten anything great. We bring it home from the Quad Cities.

Guest Hollinger.
Do you have source for good chorizo in Des Moines? We've never gotten anything great. We bring it home from the Quad Cities.

I just get El Popular at Hy-Vee. It's not fantastic, but it's good enough for huevos. Stay away from the Bob Evans stuff. The Hy-Vee on Grand/Railroad carries another brand that also makes a beef chorizo... Haven't seen it elsewhere, but I'm sure another Hy-Vee (probably closer to downtown or on the southside) has it. Never tried that one. Gateway Market usually carries a couple different kinds of spanish style (cured) chorizo.

Guest Hollinger.
I ate Taco Bell for the first time in 5 years today.

I do that every couple years. I start to think it couldn't possibly be as bad as I remember, and then... yep. It is definitely as bad as I remembered. Maybe worse.

Mexican battles aside, today is the birthday of my nephew, Karl Marx and one of my best friends.

Mexican battles aside, today is the birthday of my nephew, Karl Marx and one of my best friends.

Whoa. I did not realize that when I posted that PM to Jules. Nice!

I started today off by listening to one of my favorite songs.

I married Isis on the fifth day of May,

But I could not hold on to her very long.

So I cut off my hair and I rode straight away

For the wild unknown country where I could not go wrong.

I started today off by listening to one of my favorite songs.

I married Isis on the fifth day of May,

But I could not hold on to her very long.

So I cut off my hair and I rode straight away

For the wild unknown country where I could not go wrong.

Yes, you are quite correct. If you havent done so, check out the version on the Rolling Thunder bootleg, its awesome.

Who was talking about El Tapitio? Jayzuz, we used to gorge ourselves silly at that place.