Not For The Season

I have been thinking about this song a lot lately and I feel that this song is a true gem. I have few complaints about Wilco, but I will say that I have felt that the prettier (lack of better term) or more technical Tweedy tries to become vocally a little bit of the magic is lost. I was amazed by YHF upon its release but always thought that Tweedy's vocals were a tad mild or sterile too subtle (even thought the subtle production makes that album a masterpiece). It seems that the YHF demos are the last time we saw that overt vocal range out of Tweedy.

Not For The Season displays Tweedy straining in a higher register than is comfortable. The vocals are rugged but carry so much feeling (not to be dramatic). I go back and listen to moments on AM-Summerteeth and you get these little moments of pure vocal joy. Example would be the hoarse delivery on ELT.

Anyway, just wanted to say that Not For The Season reminded me of why I love this band.

Now that being said, even though I love the version on the YHF demos. I first heard and fell in love with this song via IATTBYH, he is playing a solo acoustic version I believe in the movie in San Fran. Can anyone verify that, and if so what is the date of that show and is it available on owl and bear archive.

BTW I never felt Laminated Cat. the Loose Fur stuff was always a little lost on me.

Guest Speed Racer
I once listened to 'Not For The Season' on repeat for an hour, driving erratically on the freeway.

:omg OMGMETOO! :omg Which version?

edit: side streets, actually; I know, I'm lame

Guest Francis X. Hummel
I really like all the versions of Not For the Season/Laminated Cat. It's one of my favorite Wilco songs period.

i'll go ahead and second that. exactly.

i do think that jeff solo, both the drop d, capo 2 version seen in IATTBYH and the open d version w/glenn on drums seen in Sunken Treasure. but i also love the demo versions, the Loose Fur version and the band doing it live on a couple of boots i have.

lyrically, this song stikes me as beautiful, although i regretfully cannot conceptualize what he's trying to say. i'm too dumb to understand much of what jeff writes, but they still seem poetic and pleasing to me.

Guest Jules

i do think that jeff solo, both the drop d, capo 2 version seen in IATTBYH and the open d version w/glenn on drums seen in Sunken Treasure. but i also love the demo versions, the Loose Fur version and the band doing it live on a couple of boots i have.

do you play guitar?

lyrically, this song stikes me as beautiful, although i regretfully cannot conceptualize what he's trying to say. i'm too dumb to understand much of what jeff writes, but they still seem poetic and pleasing to me.

Was the version in IATTBYH in San Fransico? That version captivates me big time. I tried on owl an bear around what i figured was the right time frame, but those links don't list city or song titles. How it the world do you know what song you are downloading?

Guest Speed Racer
The YHF demos version - the full band, rockin one. You?

YES!!

The other versions are better suited for refreshing email in front of a glowing monitor in an otherwise dark room...

Guest Francis X. Hummel
Was the version in IATTBYH in San Fransico? That version captivates me big time. I tried on owl an bear around what i figured was the right time frame, but those links don't list city or song titles. How it the world do you know what song you are downloading?

if i recall, that was the san fran show. and looking at the wilcobase, i'm going to say it's from either 3/8/01 or 3/9/01. he opened with it at each show. he also opened with it on 3/10/01, which was a hollywood, ca show, not in the movie, which is available for download on theowlandthebear.

the show is cleverly titled "March 10, 2001" under the Jeff Tweedy section :D

if i recall, that was the san fran show. and looking at the wilcobase, i'm going to say it's from either 3/8/01 or 3/9/01. he opened with it at each show. he also opened with it on 3/10/01, which was a hollywood, ca show, not in the movie, which is available for download on theowlandthebear.

the show is cleverly titled "March 10, 2001" under the Jeff Tweedy section :D

I will try that one tonight. Thank you

Guest Speed Racer
Full disclosure:

In the wee morning hours on technically the day after Thanksgiving, I missed a turn on my ride home from a friend's place (we played Rock Band and worked on a 19 lbs. turkey until 2am :omg ). Missing that damned turn meant a 15-minute turnaround, but when the song came on it was just what I needed at the moment. I had a full tank of gas and a lot in my head (about a girl, naturally), and I drove until I got lost, then found my way back.

The scary-ass part was that, even at 2am, there were already cars lined up for Black Friday at the malls.

Guest Jules
I had a full tank of gas and a lot in my head (about a girl, naturally), and I drove until I got lost, then found my way back.

You forgot about the half pack of cigarettes.

Hey,

I myself like Sir Stewart and Speed Racer have driven like a madman to this song. I don't know what it is about it, but I'm guessing if my car flips over and the rescue team comes over the song will still be in the awesome guitar solo part.

I also noticed someone saying that their favorite versions are from 12/6 and 12/7 of 2002. I haven't heard those yet, but if H

I myself like Sir Stewart and Speed Racer have driven like a madman to this song. I don't know what it is about it, but I'm guessing if my car flips over and the rescue team comes over the song will still be in the awesome guitar solo part.

I think we've got something here.

Guest Speed Racer
i really like some of the versions from may of 02 with wilco. some really good stuff there...Laminated Cat > Reservations and such.

I'm fond of the Gibson Rooftop show, 10/30/2002; "I think my guitar is sweating..."

Guest Francis X. Hummel
September 4, 2003 - this version is notorious for having that point around 8 minutes where the sounds shriek right into your ear drum. This version is my 2nd favorite because it is preceded by Cars Can't Escape which goes into How To Fight Loneliness than into NFTS.

Dude, yeah, I love that show.

I love this song. personally, I think the YHF demo version is great. I like laminated cat but it's too slow and minimalist. with the full band its great...