Wilco (the single LP)

Can we just have a hurrah for the fact that the new album on vinyl will be on one record and not two, thus no need to get up and flip after every two and a half songs?

A running time of 43 mins--which is the length albums should be--on two sides! :dancing

http://preorderwilcothealbum.kungfustore.c...-wilco-lp-wil59

hurrah indeedy

I'd bet ( unless they are trying to save cash) that they will still put it on two lps. "prairie wind " from neil is ten songs and is on 2 lps.

It depnds on how much the band appreciates good vinyl sound. And considering jeff said that sbs was meant to be heard on vinyl and that they record everything to tape.

I'd bet ( unless they are trying to save cash) that they will still put it on two lps. "prairie wind " from neil is ten songs and is on 2 lps.

It depnds on how much the band appreciates good vinyl sound. And considering jeff said that sbs was meant to be heard on vinyl and that they record everything to tape.

Pre-order sez single disk.

Prairie Wind is also about ten minutes longer than W(TA), which is the more important thing.

sbs was meant to be heard on vinyl and that they record everything to tape.

That explains why there is that slight hiss sound at the beginning and end of each song. :)

I always suspected it was an analog recording, and same with AGIB. Love the sound of those two records.. I assume the new album was recorded the same way?

That explains why there is that slight hiss sound at the beginning and end of each song. :)

I always suspected it was an analog recording, and same with AGIB. Love the sound of those two records.. I assume the new album was recorded the same way?

On SBS it had to be a conscious effort to include that "hiss." Because it still had to be digitally mastered.

On SBS it had to be a conscious effort to include that "hiss." Because it still had to be digitally mastered.

True. I'm not sound engineer, but I've been around it most of my life. I'm sure they could have cut the hiss out easily in the mastering process.. so you're right, they almost had to leave it in intentionally.

It so far sounds like wta was done on tape but I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of the ambient and effects were done in protools after initial tracking to tape.

From the sounds of it acoustic and drums were definetly done on tape. It depends on what tracking tools they had in new Zealand. I could be able to tell more when I get the vinyl.

I'd love to know more.

In fact it would be sweet if they did a mini making of video or collectors edition cd.

True. I'm not sound engineer, but I've been around it most of my life. I'm sure they could have cut the hiss out easily in the mastering process.. so you're right, they almost had to leave it in intentionally.

From a sound engineering standpoint, I would love to know how they Kotche got the cymbal effect he did on Leave Me Like You Found Me on SBS and at the beginning of Deeper Down, where he's lightly hitting the ride but there's like immediate decay of the cymbal ring. I've tried to get it by touching the cymbal, but it deadens it too much. amazing stuff.

From a sound engineering standpoint, I would love to know how they Kotche got the cymbal effect he did on Leave Me Like You Found Me on SBS and at the beginning of Deeper Down, where he's lightly hitting the ride but there's like immediate decay of the cymbal ring. I've tried to get it by touching the cymbal, but it deadens it too much. amazing stuff.

That's because Glen is a God. You have to be a God to achieve those kinds of sounds. :yes

You'll never be able to figure out what kotche does. That guy has some amazing mysterious techniques. He's probably hitting the cymbal with a baby's heel.

I've been trying to get the electric full sound of the opening bars of "either way".

One of the reasons I love wilco is because of the loft and the warm rich analogue sound they get on their records. The production of SBS is my fav production sound of any record.

You'll never be able to figure out what kotche does. That guy has some amazing mysterious techniques. He's probably hitting the cymbal with a baby's heel.

I've been trying to get the electric full sound of the opening bars of "either way".

One of the reasons I love wilco is because of the loft and the warm rich analogue sound they get on their records. The production of SBS is my fav production sound of any record.

I picked up one of his stick ideas from his web site -- cut a superball in half and run a skewer through it, you drag it over the drumhead and it makes this haunting moan.

All natural cotton canvas tote with Wilco (the album) logo on front. This thick and durable tote has long straps for shoulder comfort and weighs 12 ounces. Perfect for carrying vinyl, books, groceries, children, etc.

LOL