July 21 in Royal Oak, MI

anyone know if this place has a lame curfew like so many of the venues they've been playing over the past couple summers? I know nothing about this place...

Looks like that depends on which 12 hours of that day Wilco rented the venue for...

The drive is roughly 5 and a half hours for me, one of the closest Wilco gigs yet.

Anyone else going to see Neko in Pontiac the next night?

YES!! We will see Wilco on the 19th in Lewiston, NY, Wilco the 21st in Royal Oak, Neko Case the 22nd in Pontiac AND THEN The Old 97s on the 23rd in Indianapolis!! WHOOT!

nothing to contribute here other than a thank you to whoever updated the thread title with the correct name of the city... was driving me nuts! :lol

:lol

Call it abuse of moderator privileges if you wish; I couldn't take it anymore. (No offense to the topic starter - half the people I've ever talked to about the city seem to call it Royal Oaks.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is very very close now and I couldn't be more excited! Does anyone know what's good for restaurants or shopping down in Royal Oak or if the theatre is even downtown? We've never been.

Also, I believe doors open at 7:30 and I am going to assume Wilco at 8? The last 'Evening with Wilco' show I believe was pretty long (gonna check Wilcobase now!), but anyways since it's GA what time is everyone lining up at?

I'll be with my two pals (guy and girl) and my dad as some of you have met us before, odds are I'll be wearing a Wilco t-shirt, so come say hi! It's always super cool/weird when people from the board meet up. Two days!

This is very very close now and I couldn't be more excited! Does anyone know what's good for restaurants or shopping down in Royal Oak or if the theatre is even downtown? We've never been.

Also, I believe doors open at 7:30 and I am going to assume Wilco at 8? The last 'Evening with Wilco' show I believe was pretty long (gonna check Wilcobase now!), but anyways since it's GA what time is everyone lining up at?

I'll be with my two pals (guy and girl) and my dad as some of you have met us before, odds are I'll be wearing a Wilco t-shirt, so come say hi! It's always super cool/weird when people from the board meet up. Two days!

The theatre is right downtown. There are tons of restaurants -- we usually head over to Main Street, which is just a couple of blocks away, and find something there. I can't remember the name, but there is a fun Mexican restaurant on Main Street that has pretty good food. Small Plates is another favorite (a tapas restaurant).

alright guys, two days away. This is my first GA wilco show, so I'm really wondering for all you vets - what is a good time to start lining up to get a great seat? am I going to have to start lining up the day before to get an excellent seat or will I be safe showing up in the afternoon?

There's a fairly large parking garage around the corner. I don't remember if it costs anything, but if it does it's not much. I've parked there for each of the shows I've seen at that venue.

If I recall correctly, it's just west and north of the venue, maybe a block away.

I think there may also be street parking possibilities in the neighborhood to the west, but I haven't tried that.

cafe habana is a good cuban resturant next to bastone and they serve bastone beer. memphis smoke is decent barbeque resturant.

the parking garages are your best bet - $3 and right around the corner on Lafayette. don't try to park on the street. they ticket til 10 and they WILL get you. RO Brewery is a fave. Bastone is good and there is a very good wine bar attatched as well. Small Plates is gone, but Tom's Oyster Bar is still there and very good. Right next door is Ronin for sushi.

4 people in line already.

That record shop is OK - there is a better one about a mile south of Royal Oak in Ferndale. It's called the "Record Collector" and is one 9 Mile Road in downtown Ferndale (straight down Woodward Ave. from the place you asked about).

Used to be a really good independent store in Ferndale called "Record Time" but it unfortunately closed about a year ago.

Not to be contrary but I actually think the prices on used vinyl are a bit better at Solo Records (Royal Oak) than the Record Exchange (Ferndale). Record Exchange does have a somewhat better selection.

Solo Records is definately worth checking out.

Also to jump on the restaurant thread - you can't go wrong with Bastone, Ronin Sushi, Little Tree Sushi or Cafe Habana. Sangria across the street from the theater has decent tapas.

Also if you are looking for a bar with a good jukebox check out Gusoline Alley (a dive bar) just a short walk from theater.

Not to be contrary but I actually think the prices on used vinyl are a bit better at Solo Records (Royal Oak) than the Record Exchange (Ferndale). Record Exchange does have a somewhat better selection.

Solo Records is definately worth checking out.

Also to jump on the restaurant thread - you can't go wrong with Bastone, Ronin Sushi, Little Tree Sushi or Cafe Habana. Sangria across the street from the theater has decent tapas.

Also if you are looking for a bar with a good jukebox check out Gusoline Alley (a dive bar) just a short walk from theater.

bastone is goood plus they brew their own beer. also gus' is probably the best bar in royal oak i think today is $3 drafts.

Thanks for the Gusoline Alley tip. $3 pints! This is from their myspace: " Tuesday $3 pints (includes Guinness, Boddingtons, Belhaven, Magic Hat #9, Warsteiner, Bell’s Winter White, and Woodchuck)". That works for us. We might not worry about getting in the venue early and hang with Gus!