Holocaust Museum shooting

Guest Speed Racer

MSNBC is reporting that the shooter was a geriatric white supremacist. That's not the world on its head so much as one more nut with a gun.

What I read said he got shot. Hopefully it hurt really bad, then he died.

"A gunman armed with a shotgun walked into the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in downtown Washington today and opened fire on a security guard before being shot and seriously wounded by at least one other guard, authorities said." from the Post.

two guards were injured and the man with the shotgun was seriously wounded.

Guest Speed Racer

two guards were injured and the man with the shotgun was seriously wounded.

No, that report says one guard was injured, and one guard injured the suspect. Two people were shot total, says the Post.

No, that report says one guard was injured, and one guard injured the suspect. Two people were shot total, says the Post.

"A third person sustained minor injuries in the shooting, according to police. " from later in the article. 3 people total were injured. one was a guard, one was the shooter, and i mistakenly thought the 3rd was the other security guard. there was a third injury though.

tradegy at holocaust museum

i really do think the world has turned itself upside down this month.

I wonder how he managed to get a shotgun anywhere close to the place.

There really isn't a lot of street parking in the area and surely he didn't have it on the mass transit.

There really isn't a lot of street parking in the area and surely he didn't have it on the mass transit.

Since he's an old man, maybe his rifle was disguised as a cane...probably got the idea from the spy museum down the street.

This guy sounds like a piece of work. He’s one of those types who have written about all the “unanswered questions” surrounding Obama’s citizenship as well as writing about Tommy Franks and his mysterious background. Seems like he saw Jewish conspiracies behind everything he didn’t like. Once tried to arrest people at the fed and went to prison for it. Loonie with a large font capital L .

The holocaust museum is such a solemn place and this sh*thead goes and shoots people there. What an Ahole.

MSNBC has just reported that the guard has died.

that makes me very sad. i saw some news report that published excerpts from the guy's writings. that i don't agree with, why give him a platform to spread hate and nastiness after causing such a tragedy. i don't get the news media sometimes. commit an act of violence and your voice will be heard. that's just plain wrong.

This guy sounds like a piece of work. He’s one of those types who have written about all the “unanswered questions” surrounding Obama’s citizenship as well as writing about Tommy Franks and his mysterious background. Seems like he saw Jewish conspiracies behind everything he didn’t like. Once tried to arrest people at the fed and went to prison for it. Loonie with a large font capital L .

The holocaust museum is such a solemn place and this sh*thead goes and shoots people there. What an Ahole.

The Third Reich was founded on a conspiracy theory. Those things are dangerous.

The batshit crazy shooter is part of a scary trend.

There are a lot of angry people out there. People who feel powerless and are looking for a political party/ethnic/religious group to blame. People angry at what they see as the erosion of their rights. People who want to seceed from the Union. People angry at the erosion of their wealth while the rich live like Modern Romans. People angry at the erosion of the middle class.

There are a lot of fearful people. People who feel even more powerless at (what they feel to be) the hands of an all powerful, impersonal group of 'others'. People afraid of losing their house, their job. People who are afraid to get sick because they can't afford health insurance.

What we need to worry about is Angry, Scared people. We are three years of continued war and economic problems away from major civil unrest in this country. There is a convergence in angry and fearful right and the angry and fearful left coming.

One cn easily envision the uber wealthy hanging from telephone poles by their heels like Mussolini.

I have a nephew who was home schooled. His parents are fearful...afraid of the secular world; scared of black people; scared of the government.

I live in a relatively shelterd world. I have black, asian and hispanic friends. My wife is Arabic. I don't really know any Jewish people, although I went to a Jewish wedding...that was fucking cool. In my work situation I deal with wealthy people who are wealthy simply because they won the lucky sperm award as well as dealing with hard working poor people who are scared.

A change is gonna come...and I am afraid it won't be pretty.

MSNBC has just reported that the guard has died.

I saw the re-aired version of Hardball, Chris Matthews said some nice things regarding law encforcment, capitol police, etc. The guard died a hero for sure, vibes to his family :ohwell

about the guard

I thought the last quote in the article was very humbling:

"This speaks so powerfully to the mission of the museum," Bloomfield said. "Which is that hate is still with us, and this is why the museum exists."

when I walked into the museum I work at this morning, I had a whole new respect for the guards that sit at our doors. Our museum isn't nearly as sensitive of a place as the Holocaust Museum, but having spent so much time in this environment, we sometimes forget how well trained museum guards are and what they are trained to do/how dangerous their jobs are. They are such nice people that say hello and goodbye and know everyone's routines and comings and goings. whenever I stop to chat with them, I always wonder how they are able to sit in solitude observing, checking bags, greeting and helping visitors. my heart goes out to this man's family.

"The small red Volkswagen Jetta that von Brunn allegedly double-parked outside the museum before launching his deadly mission remained on 14th Street in the early morning mist..."

I wonder if his car choice was intentional.

"The small red Volkswagen Jetta that von Brunn allegedly double-parked outside the museum before launching his deadly mission remained on 14th Street in the early morning mist..."

I wonder if his car choice was intentional.

Jesus. Dude kills one person and shoots another, and they feel the need to put "allegedly" before the "double-parked"?

Jesus. Dude kills one person and shoots another, and they feel the need to put "allegedly" before the "double-parked"?

remember, it is the washington post, lower your expectations when you read.