Blink-182 Reunion

so, this news is like 4 months old but I just found out about it yesterday. I'm sure many of you could care less about Blink but this news excites me to no end. this was my band in high school. I went out on my first date with my first g/f while 'First Date' was playing. I got drunk at my first college party when I was 17 as 'Dammit' played. I watched TV as a girl... well, you know the words to 'What's My Age Again.' granted, some of their songs are geared towards younger kids, I've found that I can still listen to the bulk of their catalog without feeling funny. IMO, these guys are my generation's Beatles. their tunes are short and simple yet catchy and fun as heck. oh, sounds like there will be a new album and tour soon as well!

Blink-182 in 2001 was the first concert I ever saw. I was 13. My music taste have certainly matured since then, but on a recent roadtrip I explored every corner of my iPod and still remembered every word of every song off Enema of the State.

IMO, these guys are my generation's Beatles.

I'm sorry. I know that we all like what we like, and I don't mean to sound judgmental, but this statement is just very, very sad to me.

Although, I suppose that I can understand it from a strictly nostalgic point of view, as you were hinting toward in your original post.

If you mean musically...

[snob] allow me to introduce you to The Buzzcocks and The Ramones [/snob]

these guys are my generation's Beatles. their tunes are short and simple yet catchy and fun as heck. oh, sounds like there will be a new album and tour soon as well!

You've officially hit Panther levels of ridiculousness with that statement.

--Mike

You've officially hit Panther levels of ridiculousness with that statement.

--Mike

haha, i knew i'd ruffle some feathers with that statement. i meant it sort of tongue in cheek. they said the same thing in the latest issue of AP and i thought it was funny. and yes, as i wrote that initial post i thought about Panter, no joke.

but come on, some of you have to be excited about seeing them? i wasn't a huge fan of their last album, maybe i grew up, yet i'm still holding out for this new one.

I was so over Blink 182 by my sophomore year of college. I think you grow past songs about jacking off, not getting any and such around the age of 19 or so (at least you should, right?).

I pulled their albums out of a box in my closet about a year ago and gave them a spin and I was embarrassed at how insipid and dumb the lyrics were. I'm 29 and it just didn't click with me. I outgrew them quick. The cd's were moved back to the box in the closet again, probably to make an appearance in another 10 years. Another band I pulled out at the same time: 311. I cannot believe how stupid their music is to my ears nowadays. They too are sitting in that same box in the closet.

In my dark years, I saw them the year before they went on hiatus (I think). Then I got out of my dark years, 4 years ago. I no longer listen to neopunk, and I am a man now for that. In the neopunk genre they were probably at the forefront, but that doesn't mean neopunk is a worthwhile genre to begin with...

So while this is nice news to see some dudes get back together and play some tunes, for me the band is nothing to write home about at all. I wouldn't even waste breath to mention it to someone, to be honest.

I'm all kinds of excited about this. I still listen to their albums every once and a while and they still do it for me.

Yeah, it's dumb and sophomoric, but what's wrong with that? It's outstanding pop music. I would say they are more my generations The Cure, or something along those lines. Fantastic pop music.

I'm sure that might ruffle as many feathers as the Beatles comment, but whatever. They were heavily influenced by the Cure and I don't think it's that far off. Maybe 10 years from now it won't be embarrassing to say you loved Blink when you were young.

Wasn't the drummer in Blink 182 in an airplane crash last year and almost died? I'm not a fan of this band, or the pop-punk style of music, but it's pretty amazing that someone can nearly lose his life in such a violent way and then get back into good enough shape to play drums the way he does.

I'm all kinds of excited about this. I still listen to their albums every once and a while and they still do it for me.

Yeah, it's dumb and sophomoric, but what's wrong with that? It's outstanding pop music. I would say they are more my generations The Cure, or something along those lines. Fantastic pop music.

I'm sure that might ruffle as many feathers as the Beatles comment, but whatever. They were heavily influenced by the Cure and I don't think it's that far off. Maybe 10 years from now it won't be embarrassing to say you loved Blink when you were young.

Can you post something of Blink-182's that shows a Cure influence? I think I've only heard the tunes of theirs influenced by The Cars.

Can you post something of Blink-182's that shows a Cure influence? I think I've only heard the tunes of theirs influenced by The Cars.

most of their last album, for one. Specifically the single 'always' and 'all of this', which Robert smith sings on. They've always claimed the cure as a major influence. I think Tom more so than mark, because mark always seemed like the sugary pop guy (though plus 44's album had a lot of 80's synth pop influence.)

I don't hear a ton of The Cars in them, really.

Well I only know the singles, and trying to think of their tunes in my head, the first band I can think of is The Cars - head boppin pop. I had no idea Smith appeared on one of their songs. I'll look for it, thanks.

Guest Speed Racer

Wasn't the drummer in Blink 182 in an airplane crash last year and almost died? I'm not a fan of this band, or the pop-punk style of music, but it's pretty amazing that someone can nearly lose his life in such a violent way and then get back into good enough shape to play drums the way he does.

Yeah, he was pretty badly burnt on one side of his body, but I don't think he suffered too many injuries that would prevent him from drumming. He was performing again in a wicked-short amoutn of time, if I recall correctly. I'll go out on a limb, though, and say this tour is going to be by bus.

The fact that Travis is already back to his drumming style is incredible to me.

The dude should have died, and his drumming is certainly not lacking energy. It doesn't really make sense.

Also, I have nothing against Blink's music. It's terrific for what it is. I blast the "classics" every once in a while. It's good, fun pop-rock. Nothing wrong with that.

i'm interested to see how their new album will sound. their self-titled showed some maturity so it'll be cool to see how much they've really grown these past 4 years. i still listen to Dude Ranch and Buddha often and consider those albums to be very, very solid. by the time they got to Enema of the State, they were huge amongst the younger crowd so i think they tried a little too hard to cater to them and alienated a portion of their fan base by doing so. maybe this 4 year hiatus will have wiped their slate clean and will give them a fair chance at starting over.

when their new record comes out and blows everyone out of the water, i'll expect apologies from all you haters in this thread. *smilies aren't working*

when their new record comes out and blows everyone out of the water, i'll expect apologies from all you haters in this thread. *smilies aren't working*

I only know the singles I remember hearing in high school or should I say the few seconds of the singles I heard while I was rushing to switch the radio dial or flip the channel. I don't want to get into it with anyone, if you like them great, but I absolutely despised this band when I was in high school and they were big, and for me I'd call them the Wham of my generation. Still, I think they probably hold up a lot better than their dreadful contemporaries of the time Kid Rock, Limp Biskit, or Dave Matthews. Should this band ever put out anything I am remotely interested though, I may have to give you the Werner Herzog bet:

--Mike

Stranger things have happened. (Like Silverchair blowing me away with their last one.)

won't be surprised if they suck again. their last album was absolute garbage, and i'm not sure how tom has been since then. they were great when they were fun loving goofballs so hopefully they aren't grown up again

I only know the singles I remember hearing in high school or should I say the few seconds of the singles I heard while I was rushing to switch the radio dial or flip the channel. I don't want to get into it with anyone, if you like them great, but I absolutely despised this band when I was in high school and they were big, and for me I'd call them the Wham of my generation. Still, I think they probably hold up a lot better than their dreadful contemporaries of the time Kid Rock, Limp Biskit, or Dave Matthews. Should this band ever put out anything I am remotely interested though, I may have to give you the Werner Herzog bet:

--Mike

i don't blame you at all. in fact, i hated them back in high school, well, for the majority of it. i was actually going through a Nirvana/ Sex Pistols/ Clash phase at the time until i met this beautiful girl who liked the early Blink. needless to say, they came along at the right time and that's why i like the earlier/ obscure Blink as opposed to the later/ mainstream Blink. regarding that Herzog bet, if the new album sucks, the mods can close this thread and we'll all forget it happened. ;)

i will say that this thread has resurrected some found memories of old music. Limp Bizkit, 311 and Dave Matthews were the shiz back in the day, haha. like someone mentioned earlier, they do sound a bit dated now. good times.