It's honestly like he's NEVER been to a concert before. He fails as a music critic. And he may be a VC member.

Never been to a concert before? Fails as a music critic? Doesn't grasp the English language?

Awfully harsh for a bunch of 'in-tune' music fans. Since I only happened across this thread on accident and was not trolling for comments, I'll just reply in kind to a few of these fun statements:

I've been to more than 250 concerts in my life. Please let me know if you've been to more and we can have a private pissing match over who is cooler. My 'failure' as a music critic: enjoyed that one. Your lack of industry knowledge suggests you fail as a human. Writing for the examiner is a 'pay-per-click' gig...at a penny a view. If you think for an instant I'm some kind of 'professional' critic, than you have smoked yourself silly. My concern is not to write 'professional' criticism, but to capture a review or music-related article worth reading to the surface fan. If you want something more in-depth, go read Rolling Stone or PF. Die-hards can find their pleasure somewhere more known and established. I think this sentiment carries on to the 'English-language' comment. And while I'm not here to defend myself but instead shed some light on ignorant comments as a response, my 'grasp' of the language is irrelevant. Drop me a line and we can talk privately as well...maybe you'll enlighten me on how to speak more gracefully to my audience. Or maybe I'll embarrass your ability to criticize a practically un-paid writer with one-liners akin to a grade-schooler.

Hope you enjoyed the show. I know I did.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew it! Damn the internet.

I'm glad you're an enthusiastic fan of music, and I'm glad you enjoyed the Wilco show. Beyond that, I really am going to send you a message, and we'll begin with the typos. ;)

Cheers, sir, and welcome to Via Chicago.

I didn't stop by to make enemies. And writing publicly you're always open to criticism. I'm fine with that and this isn't the first time I've been chaffed. You have to have thicker skin than that. Unfortunately, with the wonders of the web, most everything you post can be read as well, regardless of its level of publicity.

We are all fans of Wilco, are we not? Wednesday's show was amazing...and despite my early morning and somewhat beer-infused efforts to capture that appreciation, some felt it was a less than stellar effort. I'll try harder next time. But am always open to dialogue, recommendations, and your angry reviews of my happy review anytime ;)

not old, just out of touch...those are cheap compared to most bigger bands

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this, it gave me a bit of perspective... The prices don't look so bad now in comparison, with WILCO being the biggest rock act I've seen in 10 years, I think I need to re-adjust my upper spending limit qualms.

I was at the Wolf Trap show and then saw them again in Wilmington two days later. We had 10th row seats at Wolf Trap, and managed to get right up in front in Wilmington (where the tickets were general admission). To be completely honest, the main sets in both shows were nearly identical as far as song choice goes. They did two encores in Wilmington, with the second one saving the show in my opinion (Box Full of Letters, Hoo Doo, and some other older stuff). To be fair, I'm used to seeing them in St. Louis, where the song mix tends to be a lot better (i.e. it covers most of their catalogue and doesn't draw almost entirely from Yankee on) and often includes at least one Uncle Tupelo song. I've seen them in several different cities, and so far the St. Louis concerts have been my favorite. If you ever get a chance to see them in the Lou, you should.

Someone else's comment about the cranky old people at Wolf Trap made me laugh. We had a group of 4 senior citizens sitting next to us, and they lasted about 4 songs before they left. It's a shame 4 real fans couldn't have come down and filled those seats. Then there were two chicks behind us who talked loudly and incessantly throughout the entire show. Thankfully, the large burly guy in front of me turned around and told them to shut up. Overall, I'd say the show was okay (it was Wilco), but probably my least favorite show so far (so so set list + quirky venue that is better suited for sit down shows + crowd that had too many non-fans and people constantly getting up to go to the bathroom = won't bother with Wilco at Wolf Trap again).

ya.. considering Pearl Jam is selling tix by the pair, and they start at $140/pair. And Ben Harper opening up?

We got a steal of $38 and having Conor Oberst opening up!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this, it gave me a bit of perspective... The prices don't look so bad now in comparison, with WILCO being the biggest rock act I've seen in 10 years, I think I need to re-adjust my upper spending limit qualms.

i think that is fairly obvious.

problem being that Wolf Trap isn't actually there yet.

-justin

True - but some people never look past the TTL section, or only look at the music sections.

finally ... right?!?!

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=526876

Wilco

July 8, 2009

The Filene Center

Wolf Trap

Vienna, Va

**16 bit source**

Source: B&K4022(ortf) > Sonosax > 744T

Location: front of sbd cage, slight roc, 6' stand, 60' from stage

Transfer: 744T>cd wave>soundforge(fades/volume/delay)>wavelab(resample/UV22)>flac

Taped & transferred by Craig Davis

One Set

Disc One:

01 Price is Right Intro

02 Wilco (the song)

03 A Shot in the Arm

04 At Least That's What You Said

05 Bull Black Nova

06 You Are My Face

07 I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

08 One Wing

09 How to Fight Loneliness

10 Impossible Germany

11 Deeper Down

12 Jesus, etc.

13 Sonny Feeling

14 Handshake Drugs

15 Hate It Here

Disc Two:

01 Walken

02 I'm The Man Who Loves You

03 Hummingbird

Encore:

04 You Never Know

05 Heavy Metal Drummer

06 Misunderstood >

07 Spiders (Kidsmoke)

08 I'm A Wheel

Notes:

venue staff made us move the stand at the last minute

so we had to run it really low at the front of the sbd.

Two dudes talked & made weak attempts to yell funny

stuff during most of the show. I edited and leveled

it out as much of it as I could.

Those "two dudes" were right behind my wife and I - so annoying and clueless. Just yakking loud nonsense nonstop and checkin' the blackberry almost the entire show. I don't think that those seats/row were really for sale, just a little space to accomodate the sound board and wires, etc. The Wolf Trap ushers were splitsville at that point as they usually are for the louder/rowdier shows. Usually turning around and giving 'the death ray' stare does the trick or folks just settle down by the 3rd song, but this was'nt happening. This is not uncommon behavior at DC area shows in general the past few years. Other than that, I can't wait to hear it!