Wilco in Judd Apatow's 'Funny People' Trailer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, when someone hears one or two songs by a band, and no more, and says they like the band, I find that stupid.

I'm not saying legitimate fans need to like every song by a band, but if you only like a small number of songs, you like the songs, not the band.

So how many songs does a person have to like before they are allowed to like the band? I'd like to know the specific cutoff, please.

So how many songs does a person have to like before they are allowed to like the band? I'd like to know the specific cutoff, please.

I can tell I'm alone in my thoughts here.

I don't have a problem with people liking one or two songs by a band. My problem is that they then say they like the band. If I liked HMD, but nothing else by Wilco, I wouldn't tell you I liked Wilco. I'd tell you I like the song Heavy Metal Drummer, by the band Wilco.

It's not a matter of being "allowed to like the band." I just don't see how you can profess to like a band when you haven't heard more than one or two songs. At least listen to a whole album, or something.

I dunno about that. I like a few songs from Phoenix - the one you are hearing a lot and the other one you are hearing a lot. I downloaded their album and most of the rest pales in comparison the first two songs. But I like the first two songs quite a lot -enough that I'd probably go a bit out of my way to see them live and legally buy a copy of their album, too. Can't I claim to liking Phoenix?

I dunno about that. I like a few songs from Phoenix - the one you are hearing a lot and the other one you are hearing a lot. I downloaded their album and most of the rest pales in comparison the first two songs. But I like the first two songs quite a lot -enough that I'd probably go a bit out of my way to see them live and legally buy a copy of their album, too. Can't I claim to liking Phoenix?

First off, I haven't ever heard any Phoenix song. So "the one you're hearing a lot" means nothing to me.

Second, this is a good point. But the difference is that you've heard more than those two songs. You didn't just hear whatever the big one is and say you liked them. That's where I draw the line. I met a couple people who "liked" Sonic Youth after hearing their cover of Superstar in Juno, but they could not name anything else by them. Same with the Kinks and Well Respected Man. I see nothing wrong with liking those songs, but if that's all you've heard by a band, it's a bit early to even have an opinion either way, no?

First off, I haven't ever heard any Phoenix song. So "the one you're hearing a lot" means nothing to me.

They are the latest buzz band - the New Strokes / Franz / Vampire Weekend type band and they are proof that the French are actually capable of making decent popular music. '1901' and 'Lisztomania' are both very good slices of ear candy.

Second, this is a good point. But the difference is that you've heard more than those two songs. You didn't just hear whatever the big one is and say you liked them. That's where I draw the line. I met a couple people who "liked" Sonic Youth after hearing their cover of Superstar in Juno, but they could not name anything else by them. Same with the Kinks and Well Respected Man. I see nothing wrong with liking those songs, but if that's all you've heard by a band, it's a bit early to even have an opinion either way, no?

Makes sense I guess.

Doesn't having a discussion about something often involve challenging one's/others' preconceived notions?

Yeah, when you put it like that, I guess it does. Just seems odd to me. There are going to be the folks who think that way. About any/every band. Just like there are going to be folks that tell you to listen again to an album you don't like. So be it. I will shutup now.

I suppose a VC is a better timewaster than minesweeper. In fact, VC is a bit like minesweeper - clicking around and posting into you get into a huge fight and start calling other people "asshats".

Yeah, when you put it like that, I guess it does. Just seems odd to me. There are going to be the folks who think that way. About any/every band. Just like there are going to be folks that tell you to listen again to an album you don't like. So be it. I will shutup now.

I'm always interesting in reading about new folds to the "real fan" experience, how cool things can get ruined by the perceived identity of the new fanbase, and how any so-called Lord of the Rings "fan" can enjoy the movies, when clearly Jackson should have thrown Robert Plant a fucking bone by playing Misty Mountain Hop over the end credits of Fellowship.

Quite well.

Not just going to concerts, but saying they "like" Wilco. People who think they like any band when they really just like certain songs, or the band's image drive me crazy.

Like I said, I like Seth Rogen, used to like Adam Sandler, and think Apatow has a bit of talent. But knowing the kind of people who think Superbad is the greatest movie ever, the douchebags will see this movie. Sadly, so will I, probably.

so you're the arbiter of who gets to be a "real" fan and who doesn't?

so you're the arbiter of who gets to be a "real" fan and who doesn't?

Nope.

I've already explained by thoughts.

If the band references in the movie make a bunch of people legitimately discover Wilco, then that's great. If it makes a bunch of people like one Wilco song, that's also great. If it makes people think they like the band based on that one song, that annoys me.

Nope.

If the band references in the movie make a bunch of people legitimately discover Wilco, then that's great. If it makes a bunch of people like one Wilco song, that's also great. If it makes people think they like the band based on that one song, that annoys me.

well in that case, I hope a lot of people think they like the band based on one song.

Nope.

Don't be annoyed. Life is too short. Celebrate what you have in common with folks, not the little differences. :)

You should get the previous Phoenix CD...it is better then current...I love it.

Personally I was hoping for 'Immigrant Song' to open ROTK.

Nice. That, or Battle of Evermore, plus Ramble On over the end credits.

Seriously though I hate the movies, both for their lack of Zeppelin, and for their rape of the written word. And by rape, I mean anally, with no lube, entry prepped with a hairdryer, and performed with a sand-covered cock.

Wow, really surprised Wilco would license there music for crap like this. Very disappointing.

Surprised? Perhaps you should've just paid more attention.

See track 1 of the "Girl Interrupted" soundtrack:

http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Interrupted-Original-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B00003ZAKB

It may be disappointing to you, but only because the band doesn't live up to the mis-identity you've created in your head. That's nobody's fault but your own.