You are my Face(book)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do this...probably to an obnoxious degree. I don't normally do memes, but a friend just sent me this....thought y'all might be interested. It is kind of short...perhaps we should add to it?

I did this a while back with Wilco, just to kill a few minutes ...

1. Pick your Artist:

Wilco

2. Are you a male or female:

I'm The Man Who Loves You

3.Describe yourself:

Misunderstood

4. How do you feel:

Red-Eyed and Blue

5. Describe where you currently live:

Poor Places

6. If you could go anywhere, where would you go:

Far, Far Away

7. Your favorite form of transportation:

Passenger Side

8. Your best friend is:

We're Just Friends

9. You and your best friends are:

The Ruling Class

10. What's the weather like:

Sky Blue Sky

11. If your life were a TV show, what would it be called:

Kicking Television

12. What is life to you:

It's Just That Simple

13. Your LAST or current relationship:

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

14. Your fear:

What's The World Got In Store

15. What is the best advice you have to give:

How To Fight Loneliness

16. Thought for the Day:

Shouldn't Be Ashamed

17. How I would like to die:

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

18. My soul's present condition:

Blue-Eyed Soul

19. My motto:

You Never Know

Don't wanna be that guy, but the lyric is actually "jet-lag palm."

http://bemydemon.org

I know the lyrics to wilco songs. That was an actual status I posted after a long weekend with the kids. It was supposed to be fun, and many of my friends "got" the joke. Thank you "that guy". More and more people on this site seem to be in a race to be "The Wilco Superfan". It didn't used to be that way.

I love this topic!

In my darker moments: "I know I would die if I could come back new" or "I myself have found a real rival in myself, I am hoping for the re-arrival of my health." (This is probably my favorite Wilco lyric)

In my hopeful moments: "Just smile all the time" or "Maybe I won't be so afraid...I will try to understand, either way."

In my resentful moments: "I hate it here...when you're gone" or "I tap my glass and nod my chin and wonder who you've been in rhythm with."

Then there's the story of my life: "I'm braggin' I'm always in love" and sometimes "I'm worried, I'm always in love." LOL.

I love this topic!

In my darker moments: "I know I would die if I could come back new" or "I myself have found a real rival in myself, I am hoping for the re-arrival of my health." (This is probably my favorite Wilco lyric)

In my hopeful moments: "Just smile all the time" or "Maybe I won't be so afraid...I will try to understand, either way."

In my resentful moments: "I hate it here...when you're gone" or "I tap my glass and nod my chin and wonder who you've been in rhythm with."

Then there's the story of my life: "I'm braggin' I'm always in love" and sometimes "I'm worried, I'm always in love." LOL.

My status is usually lyrics, not always Wilco.

No one ever gets it.

I know the lyrics to wilco songs. That was an actual status I posted after a long weekend with the kids. It was supposed to be fun, and many of my friends "got" the joke. Thank you "that guy". More and more people on this site seem to be in a race to be "The Wilco Superfan". It didn't used to be that way.

Oh relax pal. I getcha now... it was just taken out of context. How was I to know that's when you posted it? Besides, this isn't the first time I've seen someone correct someone about a lyric. I don't claim to be "the superfan," and never will. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what I used recently...

Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm.... Something in my veins, bloodier than blood...

Brent knows nothing of Eminem’s suburban gangster flow.

You know it’s true The other shoe It waits for you What can you do?

Wilco has a sonic shoulder you can cry on.

Brent 's black shirt cries while his shoes get cold.

Brent remembers when they still wore gaiters.

Brent is NOT your typewriter.

recently used 'dreamed about killing you again last night, and it felt all right to me' - that got quite a response.

I've done that one as well. But now that I have some older relatives as "friends" now, including my grandma, I was thinking of recycling this line to see what their reaction will be. Should be a lotta fun to watch.

Guest Speed Racer

Seriously?

I kinda do, too. I'm all for absurdist lyrics-quoting on Facebook pages (I've been known to post "Sometimes I get so hungry, I think about pie all day," references to my suburban gangsta flow), but I hatehatehate when people use lyrics as an attention-soliciting conveyer of their feelings. "I am trying to break your heart," "Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm," "Dreamed about killing you..." Wilco lyrics are not a common tool used by these offenders, mind you (though I do have one friend who engages in this practice almost exclusively with Wilco lyrics).

So there's my thought on the matter.

I update statuses/tweet whatever random thing enters into my head for the most part. A good chunk of the time, it's lyrics. I've been know to do this "in real life" too. I just spout out random phrases. I'm pretty lame on & offline.

No, I find this practice lame.

I agree. When I'm really into a band, I'll sometimes reference them in a status, but i think the lyric status is quite lame, especially when it's one of those cries for attention, or a particularly emotional lyric.

If I posted Wilco (or any band) lyrics, I know that a few people would google them, but the vast majority of people wouldn't even pay attention. I have about 1.5 Wilco fans on my friends list, so it's just a waste of time.

I save lyrics for that little box under your profile picture. They aren't being broadcasted from there, but anyone who cares can read them. I like that more than the status.

I have trouble with Facebook and all that social networking stuff, because most people just aren't interesting enough to warrant the amount of stuff they post. When I see an uber-emotional song lyric in a status, I just groan, because to me, it seems like nothing more than a cry for attention.

However, I enjoy "...is so into *band*" statuses. I think that's a whole lot more worthwhile than picking a lyric to represent your mindset.

It's all preference, obviously. I just view the lyric status as a waste of time. I rarely read them when I see that other people posted them.

Guest Speed Racer

Yeah, having emotions is pretty lame. :dontgetit

Using a cryptic lyric to express emotions in such a way as to solicit attention IS kinda lame. And to me, posting "Lauren is majorly depressed" as a Facebook status is also kinda lame. So is "Lauren just has no way out..." or even, "Lauren is exciteddddd!!!!!!" Any Facebook status that exploits vague melodrama for the purpose of garnering posts that say, "ZOMG WHAT'SUPPP!!?!??" kinda irk me.

I generally hate folks that use Facebook as a tool for emotional outreach, but I'm much happier if the person actually posts WHY they see no way out/are depressed/are exciteddddd!!!!!. "Lauren is majorly depressed because her smokin' hot girlfriend is out of town this weekend," "Lauren just has no way out of cleaning the cat litter," "Lauren is exciteddddd!!!!! Exclamation points are freeeeee!!!!!"

Using a cryptic lyric to express emotions in such a way as to solicit attention IS kinda lame. And to me, posting "Lauren is majorly depressed" as a Facebook status is also kinda lame. So is "Lauren just has no way out..." or even, "Lauren is exciteddddd!!!!!!" Any Facebook status that exploits vague melodrama for the purpose of garnering posts that say, "ZOMG WHAT'SUPPP!!?!??" kinda irk me.

I generally hate folks that use Facebook as a tool for emotional outreach, but I'm much happier if the person actually posts WHY they see no way out/are depressed/are exciteddddd!!!!!. "Lauren is majorly depressed because her smokin' hot girlfriend is out of town this weekend," "Lauren just has no way out of cleaning the cat litter," "Lauren is exciteddddd!!!!! Exclamation points are freeeeee!!!!!"

I like you.

I guess I'm just a more private person, but when I am feeling depressed or whatever, I really don't think the facebook world needs or cares to know. Posting shit like "...is left wondering where it all went wrong?" or "....is having a shitty day" are just screaming for the "Aww. What's wrong?" comment. I cannot stand that.

I think there was a time when the internet was new, and even before it became a reality, that writers and thinkers believed it would be this great thing that brought people across the globe together, that it would shrink the world in such a way as to create a deeper understanding and sympathy for one another. I guess those peeps were wrong. It's really just another place where we can build little walls around ourselves and refuse to connect on any level deeper than those found in mutual appreciation for lolcats and fantasy baseball.

I think there was a time when the internet was new, and even before it became a reality, that writers and thinkers believed it would be this great thing that brought people across the globe together, that it would shrink the world in such a way as to create a deeper understanding and sympathy for one another. I guess those peeps were wrong. It's really just another place where we can build little walls around ourselves and refuse to connect on any level deeper than those found in mutual appreciation for lolcats and fantasy baseball.

The internet is indeed a glorious place.