does this piss you guys off?

I don't understand how this would piss off a Wilco fan. The line is "Writing songs, slightly country, slightly modern. Like Wilco in Designer Clothes."

To it is not a diss on Wilco, but other cheesey "alt-country" bands. Crosby Loggins I am looking at you.

hes clearly making fun of "you never know."

ANYWAY

Your next assignment is to read those 20 pages and come back with a synopsis. See you in class tomorrow. :wave

i learned that ryan adams is unoriginal and jim o rourke transcends time and space. i also learned that some dude on the board met ryan, and wore a green wilco shirt.

and after reading this thread, and the other thread dedicated to this video, i would like to sincerely apologize to each and every one of you for bringing this back up. this is the first day of the rest of my vc life.

hmm, maybe its coincidence. theres a chance he could be making fun of it though.

I really think it is a case of you (and others) hearing "Wilco" in a Ryan Adams "song" and thinking that there is now an East Coast West Coast feud, between DRA and Jeff Tweedy. There is not, there never will be. Though if you want this feud, then go have it.

I really think it is a case of you (and others) hearing "Wilco" in a Ryan Adams "song" and thinking that there is now an East Coast West Coast feud, between DRA and Jeff Tweedy. There is not, there never will be. Though if you want this feud, then go have it.

that would be sick. jeff tweedy would definitely beat up ryan adams. remember when he wailed that dumbass in the face at some show?

It seems Ryan has always been a bit jealous or envious of Tweedy because media and critics seem to praise Wilco more and generally accept they can do certain things no wrong... coming from Adams' point of view.

I'm quite sure many of you have heard his rant to Jim DeRogotis. Not that I usually ever agree with that tool either, but it sure seems Ryan goes out of his way to mention Tweedy or Wilco when he wants to vent.

hes clearly making fun of "you never know."

ANYWAY

i learned that ryan adams is unoriginal and jim o rourke transcends time and space. i also learned that some dude on the board met ryan, and wore a green wilco shirt.

n504970735_304363_820.jpg

Take that RA!

I really like Ryan but I somehow felt the need to mess with him a bit. I know Jeff and Ryan have a disliking and I believe (don't quote me) they've badmouthed each other through the press at one point in time.

Wonder how Jeff feels about Pat contributing to Heartbreaker, ohhhh no.

Take that RA!

I really like Ryan but I somehow felt the need to mess with him a bit. I know Jeff and Ryan have a disliking and I believe (don't quote me) they've badmouthed each other through the press at one point in time.

How did you get that photo of Ryan and Pat? That is pretty cool.

Dickishness supplements Ryan’s oeuvre the same way that food stamps supplement a welfare recipient’s pantry. I’m a fan of Whiskeytown, and Heartbreaker is top shelf, but much like the Ramen Noodles that just fucking dominate the menu of many a poor folk, most of what he’s recorded since contains very little of anything I’d consider nourishing.

Take that RA!

Here's what Ryan had to say in 2000:

Drinking alone

Ryan Adams pours his own sound from the heart.

by Melissa Giannini

9/20/2000

He shouldn’t have to analyze his own record. He made it.

“I actually think I’m a lot better songwriter than Jeff Tweedy is.”

It’s Ryan Adams’ day off and the last thing he wants to talk about is his “similarity” to the singer-songwriter, formerly of Uncle Tupelo and currently with Wilco. Or his “similarity” to Bob Dylan. Or any of the other “sounds too close” comparisons critics have surmised about his twang-tinged folk rock with Whiskeytown and now his first solo outing, Heartbreaker.

“Is it because I have knowledge of great country-rock records that I get compared to them?” Ryan ponders. “I don’t know. It doesn’t bother me because I know that the record will speak for itself.” He sniffs the beginnings of a cold and his voice gets soft over the receiver. Perhaps he’s pushing the hair out of eyes. Perhaps he couldn’t sleep last night and just wants to curl up in his own bed and make the thoughts go away. He shouldn’t have to analyze his own record. He made it.

I do like Heartbreaker quite a bit, but isn't even in the same league as Summerteeth or Being There in my opinion... (the albums Ryan would have had at the time to compare his work to...)

I’m a fan of Whiskeytown, and Heartbreaker is top shelf, but much like the Ramen Noodles that just fucking dominate the menu of many a poor folk, most of what he’s recorded since contains very little of anything I’d consider nourishing.

I'd add Gold ... I recently bought that on vinyl and have been rediscovering it -- truly a fantastic album, and though it might be better if some of the chaff had been culled from it, I think it approaches (but does not surpass) Being There as one of the best double albums of the last fifteen years.

After Gold, however ... there are gems on each record, but I don't listen to those albums front to back like I do Wilco records.

oeu·vre

Pronunciation: \ˈə®-vrə, ˈœvrə\

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural oeuvres \same\

Etymology: French œuvre, literally, work, from Old French ovre, Latin opera — more at opera

Date: 1875 : a substantial body of work constituting the lifework of a writer, an artist, or a composer

Weird, I love Gold and had no idea it's a double album.

Adams intended for the album to be a double album, but his record label, Lost Highway, condensed the album into a single disc to avoid paying Adams more money. According to Adams, the label "took the last five songs, made it a bonus disc and put it on the first hundred and fifty thousand copies. Fucking my fans over and making them pay extra for a record I wanted to be a double album. They counted that as one record." This bonus disc is known as Side Four; the disc's title reflects the fact that the bonus material makes up the fourth side of the double LP edition of the album.

Gogo must be on vacation.

Weird, I love Gold and had no idea it's a double album.

:lol There's some grey area here. How many tracks are on your copy?

I have the bonus-disc version with 21 tracks across the two discs, and the vinyl includes those same 21 tracks and is a true double album (six tracks on side 1, five each on sides 2 through 4).

edit: Analogman got to this before me. Anyway, that's why I think of it as a double album.

I do like Heartbreaker quite a bit, but isn't even in the same league as Summerteeth or Being There in my opinion... (the albums Ryan would have had at the time to compare his work to...)

Heartbreaker is a better album then Being There or Summerteeth. But imo it is like comparing Apples to Oranges.

I still don't get that. Anyhow, we have a Ryan Adams thread where we beat that horse from time to time.

If you guys kept track of the video posting that he was into for a while, you would see that made stuff up like that all the time. I suppose that one catches people's eye around here from time to time because he mentions Wilco. But - it you look at in the context of all the videos he made, you will see that it is no big deal.

oeu·vre

Pronunciation: \ˈə®-vrə, ˈœvrə\

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural oeuvres \same\

Etymology: French œuvre, literally, work, from Old French ovre, Latin opera — more at opera

Date: 1875 : a substantial body of work constituting the lifework of a writer, an artist, or a composer

We know.