Why I Love Sky Blue Sky

Sky Blue Sky always brings about fond memories for me.....ACL taping, Living Room Show and countless evenings spent with our closest friends. I play the song SBS almost every time I pick up the guitar. It is the album that solidified Wilco as one of my favorite bands. :thumbup

Great Thread!

I love this. Thanks for all the nice words, getting passed over for a promotion is small potatos, but you all helped!

(Hoping that "dick karma" kicks in soon! :D"

Um, What Light is the best song on the album.

i dont know about calling the "best" song on the album, but its definately my favourite. when i first heard it played live back in 2006 in the key of Bb, it blew me away. the album is in G, which doesnt make it sound as good

People knock this album but they seem to enjoy the songs when they are played live. Impossible Germany, Hate It Here, Walken, Side With The Seeds and You Are My Face always get a big rise out of the crowd when played in concert. So is it the recorded versions people dislike? You either like a song or you don't. When all is said and done this will be considered one of their best of all time.

When all is said and done this will be considered one of their best of all time.

i think you're right about that, and it won't surprise me one bit. i loved SBS the very first time i heard it. to me it has everything: magnificent lyrics, musical complexity, at times elegant simplicity, and jeff's totally unique, unmatched, and beautifully unpredictable voice.

another reason it "has everything" for me is that i know it better than any other music i've been listening to during my fairly long life (and that's a lot of music). i know it backwards and forwards, upside down and inside out. this is because in the fall of 2007 i suddenly woke up one morning with very bad tinnitus (and it's been with me ever since). it scared the hell out of me and i was miserable for months, and listened to no music at all during that time. i thought music was gone from me. then someone knowledgeable about tinnitus advised me not to give up on music, and to get it back into my life by picking one about-hour-long album and listening to it all the way through, once every day, with the volume very low at first. i picked SBS and started out at a very low volume, raising it ever so slightly each week, until months later i was listening at a normal volume.

it was a thrilling experience. at first i was scared i would hurt my ears, and scared that i wouldn't be able to really hear or feel the music because of the tinnitus getting in the way, and so on. but soon it became the high point of my day, going into a room in late afternoon by myself, settling into a chair, and listening to every note and every word of SBS for the whole hour. it didn't hurt my ears, and it rebuilt my relationship with music. i heard things i'd never heard in SBS before and looked forward to those secret moments. i came to know and love the album so much that i was almost glad i'd gotten the tinnitus that ended up making me listen to it so carefully! (but hey, i really would rather the damn electrocuted crickets just be gone gone gone.)

this is a great thread, thank you for starting it.

People knock this album but they seem to enjoy the songs when they are played live. Impossible Germany, Hate It Here, Walken, Side With The Seeds and You Are My Face always get a big rise out of the crowd when played in concert.

My very sophisticated, mature response to this is "Yeah, what you said!"

SBS was my first entree into Wilco. during my exploration of the album my father was diagnosed and a year later succumbed to cancer. It brings strong emotions every time I listen to it... I've since acquired all of Wilco's stuff and am a HUGE fan.

Thanks to everyone for posting their thoughts.

I've probably said this in variation too many times, but I still can't ever get over just how cool SBS sounds. I have never heard a record that sounds the way that it does. On sonic terms it has loads of what I would call intimacy and integrity. You can wear those guitar tones like a wool cap.

That coupled with the optimistically somber tone of the majority of the songs. It's the ultimate winter morning album.

I've probably said this in variation too many times, but I still can't ever get over just how cool SBS sounds. I have never heard a record that sounds the way that it does. On sonic terms it has loads of what I would call intimacy and integrity. You can wear those guitar tones like a wool cap.

That coupled with the optimistically somber tone of the majority of the songs. It's the ultimate winter morning album.

So true. SBS has its' own vibe, a very unique and distinctive sound, even for a Wilco record it's kind of "different". The recording and production values on SBS have been discussed here a lot, it might just be worth noting again how restrained Nels sounds, especially in light of recent comments that he can sometimes overpower the band in concert (which I agree with to some extent, tho I still enjoy the hell out of most of his performances).

Also, again here are Jeff's 'official' comments on SBS song by song.

http://www.nonesuch....ms/sky-blue-sky

• 1 month later...

Bad day. Theatre was incredibly bad, I'm the only one doing my job correctly, and overall, I'm just sick of people knocking me when I'm the one who has his crap together. To top it off, I now have to learn to accept that I'm an arrogant person. I've always thought that arrogant meant that I held myself above other people- and I don't, everyone's equal. But in my attempts to be a voice of reason and get everyone in line, I have discovered that whether I'm meaning to or not, when people call me arrogant, they're right. And that really depresses me, on a deep level.

But Sky Blue Sky can do something for me that no other Wilco record can. Something about it lifts me up and tells me that I'm going to make it. It sucks to realize that you ARE what you dislike in a person. It sucks to be in that mindframe, that you yourself have become something that you hate...but I think I'm going to make it, and it has a lot to do with the fact that as I type this, I'm on the tail end of "On and On and On", and this is my second playthrough of SBS today.

Thank you, Jeff and gang. My troubles are petty, but my self-doubt is so huge. Thank you for making this record. It means so much to me.

Bad day. Theatre was incredibly bad, I'm the only one doing my job correctly, and overall, I'm just sick of people knocking me when I'm the one who has his crap together. To top it off, I now have to learn to accept that I'm an arrogant person. I've always thought that arrogant meant that I held myself above other people- and I don't, everyone's equal. But in my attempts to be a voice of reason and get everyone in line, I have discovered that whether I'm meaning to or not, when people call me arrogant, they're right. And that really depresses me, on a deep level.

But Sky Blue Sky can do something for me that no other Wilco record can. Something about it lifts me up and tells me that I'm going to make it. It sucks to realize that you ARE what you dislike in a person. It sucks to be in that mindframe, that you yourself have become something that you hate...but I think I'm going to make it, and it has a lot to do with the fact that as I type this, I'm on the tail end of "On and On and On", and this is my second playthrough of SBS today.

Thank you, Jeff and gang. My troubles are petty, but my self-doubt is so huge. Thank you for making this record. It means so much to me.

Yup yup yup.