Why I Love Sky Blue Sky

I've had a very bad day -- the other manager in my department was promoted to director today (he's been here for 3 years, it'll be 10 for me in December). And he is -- let me put this as delicately as possible -- a dick, and now he has authority over me. I've been working so hard all year to get myself in place for a promotion next year, and now this. So, I'm a little depressed.

But, I get in my car and turn on the stereo, and am immediately embraced by the sweet warmth of Either Way. It's an aural arms open wide, a sonic shoulder for me to cry.

Now, I know my sweet, wonderful Sky Blue Sky gets dissed for not being as experimental, as avant guard as the others. But, it makes me so happy. So, it will always be my favorite.

I still cried as I drove home, but felt like I was not alone.

With the exception of "What Light," I love Sky Blue Sky. I even love the stuff that most people here seem to hate: "Shake It Off," "Please Be Patient With Me," and "Leave Me Like You Found Me." It's been on repeat on my car's CD player for the last several days and I've been quite happy. :)

Sorry to hear about the promotion situation, barbkm.

I also love Sky Blue Sky and wish I could hear "Either Way" live more often. Sorry it took such a sucky day at work to remind you of your love for it.

I few years ago, I was out in the garage, cleaning things up.

Stereo was on - my 28 year-old speakers mounted up in the rear corners of the garage were humming away.

I had a fight with my wife, so I was in a bad mood.

On and On and On started playing.

My father died in 1995 of cancer. My mother died in 2002 of a broken heart.

I sat down on a stool in the middle of the garage and just listened to this song.

I could see my parents speaking the words of this song to each other.

I cried like a baby.

But that's OK, the tears felt good.

Thanks, Jeff.

Stereo was on - my 28 year-old speakers mounted up in the rear corners of the garage were humming away.

I sat down on a stool in the middle of the garage and just listened to this song.

I cried like a baby.

Thanks, Jeff.

I'm not sure which is more beautiful: the words in On and On and On or your post. Wilco will love you baby.

I cried like a baby.

Thanks, Jeff.

Thanks for sharing, Robby. :thumbup I just came home to some horrific news an hour ago. My niece's baby boy just passed away at 4 months of age. I'm so stunned I don't know what to think. My wife (the birthing coach, the one who cut the cord) is totally distraught. But I'm thinking SBS might be the next thing I trow on - you are absolutely correct when you say that Jeff can make the bad times a litle easier to bear.

Long after your director's dick karma has come home to roost you will have your Sky Blue Sky. Thanks for the posts, barbkm, Robby, and Mountain Bed. Your emotional connection to a piece music will trump snobbery any day of the week.

And I hope things work out barbkm, and those close to Mountain Bed are able to deal with their loss in a constructive way.

Not sure if anyone's interested but I have an anxiety disorder and periodically suffer from depression. In that frame of mind Sky Blue Sky is one of the most inspiring albums ever. Alot of the songs seem to relate to issues regarding a poor state of mind/mental health and looking for positives or a way out of the darkness. 'Please Be Patient With Me' is exactly what I tell my wife when I am struggling. Songs like 'Either Way' and 'On and On' have a similar resonance. I suppose this would relate directly to Mr. Tweedy's own struggles with Anxiety/Depression. I don't know, but at times when I'm down I feel like that album was written for me and it always help to get me back on my feet again. Even the album cover seems to portray that meloncholy frame of mind.

Um, What Light is the best song on the album.

I agree with this opinion but can grasp why some would disagree. A fine album overall and it certainly conveys a mood.

It's nice to see SBS getting some positive feedback. This album is far too beautiful to be anybody's punchline. It's a great gateway drug to the band, btw. I've created several Wilco fans by handing them off a copy of this album.

Totally agree. Great gateway... it personally means a lot to me because I had just moved away from home for the first time and listened to it every morning. I had liked Wilco before but SBS made me understand them (and myself)

Thanks for sharing, Robby. :thumbup I just came home to some horrific news an hour ago. My niece's baby boy just passed away at 4 months of age. I'm so stunned I don't know what to think. My wife (the birthing coach, the one who cut the cord) is totally distraught. But I'm thinking SBS might be the next thing I trow on - you are absolutely correct when you say that Jeff can make the bad times a litle easier to bear.

:hug

I am so sorry to hear this Scott. Many vibes to you and your family.

SBS is a fine album - I am always happy to hear the songs live, but I generally don't listen to the record .

Just before this recored was released and was being streamed, a dear long time friend of my wife's mentioned during a lunch outing that she had heard it and loved it. She knew we were big fans of the band and we had been telling her about Wilco for a few years. That lunch date was the last time we saw her. She committed suicide a few weeks later.

That recored now has a whole new affect on us as we listen it. To me it's almost like a suicide note meant to comfort, and comfort it does.

It's the strongest lyrical album the band has released to date IMO.

This is a great thread. I've teared up a little reading all of the posts. I want to give my best wishes to everyone who has shared their story.:blush

Ever since I was maybe 7 or 8 years old I've had a similar connection to music. It started with a stomach ache and a cassette copy of Rhythm Nation by Janet Jackson. I can still picture the scene. Ever since, if I'm under the weather, stressed, or depressed, one of my first instincts is to listen to a favorite album. I can totally understand how Sky Blue Sky could be the perfect cure to a bad experience.

Ever since I was maybe 7 or 8 years old I've had a similar connection to music. It started with a stomach ache and a cassette copy of Rhythm Nation by Janet Jackson.

to throw a little humor in a otherwise dark thread... i get a stomach ache and a head ache ANYTIME i listen to Janet Jackson! ;)

A Ghost is Born is the Wilco record that came along when I was in a very dark place..sweet fancy Moses but could I relate to the darkness that Jeff was apparently going through.

Sky Blue Sky is like the rainbow after a nasty storm. The clean breeze that sweeps away the detrius of a bad day.

Wilco (the album) is the return to happiness and joy after the bad times.

Having given up the vices of my youth and finding a way to keep the nasty thoughts and demons at bay (most of the time), Wilco's music provides an anchor: I'm not the only one who has seen the darkness, felt the despair and found a way out.

...think I should stop here.

I completely agree with what Crow Daddy was saying in regard to the last 3 albums. A lot of people like to dismiss this recent run of albums to some degree. I think it has been a very interesting and cohesive evolution. Regardless of how you feel about where the band's sound and play have ended up at this point, I think it has been a great mirror socially. A post-9/11 world in a darker confused state coinciding with the release of A Ghost Is Born. The early indications of a return to normalcy (whatever that is) and a "deep-breath" of sorts with Sky Blue Sky. And finally trying to turn the page on some ugly times with enthusiasm and some light-heartedness in Wilco (the album).

A Ghost Is Born is my favorite Wilco album but Sky Blue Sky is what shored up my belief in this band. At a time when (as Jeff says) I wanted someone to just play me some fucking songs, Wilco did it. And they are brilliant songs.