Rolling Stones to reissue Get Your Ya Ya's Out

From Pitchfork:

You knew the Rolling Stones weren't going to let the entire Beatles Week go by without trying to steal some of that thunder. After all, the Beatles don't have a monopoly on deluxe CD reissues, and the Stones need to get that paper before the compact disc dies entirely and even grandmothers figure out how easy it is to download. So: As Consequence of Sound reports, the Stones will soon release an expanded 40th anniversary box-set version of their 1970 live album Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out.

The album, recorded over two nights at Madison Square Garden in 1969, captures the Stones at the absolute peak of their power. And the 3xCD + DVD reissue, due November 3 from ABKCO, looks like it'll do a pretty amazing job fleshing the original out. On the first disc, you'll get a remastered version of the original live album. On the second, five unreleased performances that didn't make the album's cut, including "Under My Thumb" and "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction". And on the third, songs from those shows' openers, B.B. King and Ike and Tina Turner.

The DVD, meanwhile, will feature the Albert and David Maysles concert film of the same title, as well as the same unreleased tracks that'll be on the second CD and some more bonus footage. You'll also get a replica of the original 1969 tour poster and a 56-page book that'll include, among other things, Lester Bangs' review of the album for Rolling Stone. The whole tracklist is below.

Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out 40th Anniversary Deluxe Box Set

CD1:

01 Jumpin' Jack Flash

02 Carol

03 Stray Cat Blues

04 Love in Vain

05 Midnight Rambler

06 Sympathy for the Devil

07 Live With Me

08 Little Queenie

09 Honky Tonk Women

10 Street Fighting Man

CD2:

01 Prodigal Son

02 You Gotta Move

03 Under My Thumb

04 I'm Free

05 (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

CD3:

01 B.B. King: "Everyday I Have the Blues"

02 B.B. King: "How Blue Can You Get"

03 B.B. King: "That's Wrong Little Mama"

04 B.B. King: "Why I Sing The Blues"

05 B.B. King: "Please Accept My Love"

06 Ike and Tina Turner: "Gimme Some Loving"

07 Ike and Tina Turner: "Sweet Soul Music"

08 Ike and Tina Turner: "Son of a Preacher Man"

09 Ike and Tina Turner: "Proud Mary"

10 Ike and Tina Turner: "I've Been Loving You Too Long"

11 Ike and Tina Turner: "Come Together"

12 Ike and Tina Turner: "Land of 1000 Dances"

My link

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that on Rolling Stone.com (and forgot about it):

In November 1969, the Rolling Stones’ staged an epic two-night stand at New York’s Madison Square Garden that provided tunes for the band’s first official Stones-approved live album, Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! To celebrate the 40th anniversary of Ya-Ya’s!, ABKCO will release a remastered deluxe and super-deluxe edition of the live album, a three-disc/one-DVD box set complete with five unreleased songs from the MSG shows and a DVD featuring the Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out film directed by the Maysles Brothers — the documentary team behind the Stones’ classic Gimme Shelter. In the film, the Stones hang out with Jimi Hendrix and the Grateful Dead, mess around during the Ya-Ya’s cover shoot, perform the five unreleased songs and much more.

Additionally, one disc in the set will be dedicated to the sets from the MSG shows’ two opening acts, B.B. King and Ike & Tina Turner. The set will also include a replica poster and a 56-page booklet featuring photos, essays, Lester Bangs’ original Rolling Stone review of the album and much more (read Bangs’ full review here). The “super-deluxe” version of the box set will also house a three picture disc vinyl version of Ya-Ya’s, complete with etched cover images and the Stones’ signatures, as well as an enlarged version of the replica poster and 56-page booklet. To top it all off, the box set will come with a voucher allowing fans to download the Ya-Ya’s version of the Stones’ “I’m Free” for Guitar Hero 5.

The deluxe box will hit shelves November 3rd, while the super deluxe set arrives two weeks later on November 17th.

I think we are going to see a release like this with the Exile On Main Street album.

I saw that on Rolling Stone.com (and forgot about it):

I think we are going to see a release like this with the Exile On Main Street album.

That would be extremely awesome, and kisses to them for including the Bangs essay.

That would be extremely awesome, and kisses to them for including the Bangs essay.

I would be surprised if the Stones had much to do with this release, as it is among the albums owned by ABKCO. I guess they have to sign off on it somewhere along the line.

I think this list is right:

1. England's Newest Hitmakers

2. 12x5

3. The Rolling Stones Now

4. Out Of Our Heads

5. Out of Our Heads - UK Version

6. December's Children

7. Big Hits (High Tide & Green Grass)

8. Aftermath

9. Aftermath - UK Version

10. Got Live If You Want It!

11. Between The Buttons

12. Between The Buttons - UK Version

13. Flowers

14. Their Satanic Majesties Request

15. Beggars Banquet

16. Through The Past, Darkly

17. Let It Bleed

18. Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out

19. Hot Rocks

20. More Hot Rocks

21. The Rolling Stones Singles Collection

22. Metamorphosis - UK Version

According to a blurb in RS, that's exactly what's going on now. Hopefully it won't be remastered to Mick's liking - he's never been shy about his dislike for the sound of Exile.

I have just never been a fan of Live recordings of the Stones, not sure why.

I would agree with you on this, but Ya-Ya's is the exception. It really is The Stones at the top of their game - Keef's riffing in particular. I've had that record almost since it was originally released and it just KILLS (imo).

It's strange to think that just a week after those recordings was the tragedy of Altamont.

Of course, there is also this famous bootleg. The link is to a Audio Blog. He has the show up in FLAC or Mp3.

Rolling Stones - Live R Than You'll Ever Be (1969)

On with the forty years or more old stuff aboard, this is The Rolling Stones in their '69 US tour with Mick Taylor as the new guitarist, on a recording that many consider better than the official Get Your Ya-Ya's Out!.

It's an historical unofficial release and although being recorded from the audience this was done using an high class microphone and tape recorder. It was produced by the same guys that would be known as the (in)famous label Trade Mark of Quality(TMQ), one of the first to record and release this kind of material. For a lot more information about this record you can go here.

Sound Quality: 9

Source: Audience/Vinyl

Track List:

01 Carol

02 Gimme Shelter

03 Sympathy For The Devil

04 I'm Free

05 Live With Me

05 Love In Vain

06 Midnight Rambler

07 Little Queenie

08 Honky Tonk Women

09 Street Fighting Man

Best post of the day. I can just picture this....

LouieB

I don't know who keeps leaving those old RS issues there, but I grab them as I find them. So far, the issues I have found are in pristine condition.

Speaking of Rolling Stone live albums/concert films, I am still waiting for an official DVD release of this one: Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones. I have a bootleg of it I found online.

• 5 months later...

Another article I just noticed by way of Expecting Rain:

Unearthed Rolling Stones Tracks Set to Debut on “Exile on Main Street” Reissue

2/25/10, 8:00 am EST

The Rolling Stones’ classic Exile on Main Street — one of Rolling Stone’s highest-ranking Greatest Albums of All Time — is returning as a very special reissue. On May 18th, Universal Music Group is re-releasing the album with 10 never-before-heard tracks, including “Plundered My Soul,” “Dancing in the Light,” “Following the River” and “Pass the Wine,” that were produced by Jimmy Miller, the Glimmer Twins and Don Was. The disc also features alternate versions of “Soul Survivor” and “Loving Cup.”

Mick Jagger tells Rolling Stone when the record company asked him to dive in his files for possible bonus songs, he initially believed the band had used all they’d written on the 1972 double album (read RS’s original review). “I went back in the archives and dug out a load of things,” he says. “I added some percussion and some vocals. Keith put guitar on one or two.” Jagger wrote fresh lyrics for “Following the River,” but other than some light revisions to the other songs, “I really wanted to leave them pretty much as they were,” Keith Richards says. “I didn’t want to interfere with the Bible, you know. They still had that great basement sound.”

The intimate Rolling Stones: photos from the band’s 1969 tour.

A deluxe edition of the reissue will also include Stones in Exile, a documentary directed by Stephen Kijak that tracks the making of Exile, along with footage from Cocksucker Blues and Ladies and Gentlemen… the Rolling Stones. After seeing the Exile film for the first time recently, Richards says, “I must not have noticed all the cameramen while I was making the record. I was amazed at how much footage they actually found.”

The Exile on Main Street reissue will be sold a CD featuring the original 18 tracks or as a deluxe CD edition with the 10 bonus tracks. The super deluxe package includes vinyl, the 30-minute documentary DVD and a 50-page collector’s book with photos from the Exile era.

For much more news on the Rolling Stones’ Exile reissue, check out the next issue of Rolling Stone, on newsstands Wednesday, March 3rd.

and Don Was

He must have got a time machine. I am generally not a fan of parts being added to songs (long) after the song was made.

I think Gram only played music with Keith. But then again, I have heard rumors that he is actually on some Stones songs.

Of course, a lot of work for Exile was done in L.A. I use to think it was all recorded live in the basement of Keith's house, but that is not true.