• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BEST PICTURE EVER!

2v91zx4.jpg

I've heard some of these songs:

Latest rumor on the bonus tracks:

1. Loving Cup (alternate version)

2. Pass The Wine (aka Sophia Loren)

3. I'm Not Signifying (aka I Ain't Signifying, aka I Ain't Lying, aka Ain't Gonna Lie)

4. Dancing In The Light

5. So Divine (aka Aladdin Story, with new guitar parts and possibly new vocals)

6. Soul Survivor (alternate version, possibly with Keith on vocals)

7. Following The River (with newly-recorded vocals from Jagger)

8. Plundered My Soul

9. Good Time Women (early version of Tumbling Dice)

10. Title 5

Amazon.com links:

Exile On Main St. (1 Disc)

Exile On Main St. (Deluxe 2 discs)

Exile On Main St. (Super Deluxe 5 discs)

• 2 weeks later...

The Rolling Stones' 'Exile' Saluted By Special Jimmy Fallon Shows

"Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" is devoting its entire run during the week of May 10 to special shows saluting the Rolling Stones' iconic album "Exile on Main Street." That week, a host of major acts will perform covers of songs from "Exile," and that Friday's (May 14) episode will feature the premiere of a new documentary about the album's creation, "Stones in Exile."

Participating bands have yet to be officially announced, but they are expected to include some of rock's biggest names. It is also unknown if members of the Rolling Stones will be part of the celebration.

Released in 1972, "Exile on Main Street" is infamous for its debaucherous recording sessions at Keith Richards' mansion in the south of France. The album spawned a host of instant Stones classics, including "Loving Cup," "Sweet Virginia," "Tumbling Dice," "Ventilator Blues," "Rocks Off" and "Torn and Frayed."

"Exile" will be reissued on May 18 through Universal with 10 previously unreleased tracks from the original sessions, including "Following the River," "Plundered My Soul," "Pass the Wine" and "Dancing in the Light." A super deluxe edition includes the album on vinyl, a 30-minute DVD and a 50-page book with photos from the era.

Are they remastering any of the original tracks, or is this just a reissue, do you know?

Are they remastering any of the original tracks, or is this just a reissue, do you know?

I believe it is a total deal, re-mastering, etc.

I have not read anything about re-mixing, unless I have forgot, or overlooked it.

Either way, it's fine with me. He could get Mike Myers to come on as Ron Wood.

Yeah, I don't think they are remixing the original album, either - just remastering.

Which is funny - as Mick has often stated that he would like to re-mix the album.

Just saw this on another message board:

This will be followed by the first-ever official DVD release of the 1974 concert film Ladies and Gentlemen... The Rolling Stones. Filmed on their 1972 tour in support of Exile on Main Street, it will be screened in cinemas later this year. This will be followed by a DVD and Blu-ray release in the fall.

Both DVDs feature the same legendary line-up, with Jagger and Richards supported by Mick Taylor on guitar, Charlie Watts on drums and Bill Wyman on bass. In case you needed a reminder of why the Rolling Stones are still one of the highest-grossing acts in the world, these DVDs should do the trick.

Ladies and Gentlemen... The Rolling Stones

1. "Brown Sugar"

2. "Bitch"

3. "Gimme Shelter"

4. "Dead Flowers"

5. "Happy"

6. "Tumbling Dice"

7. "Love in Vain"

8. "Sweet Virginia"

9. "You Can't Always Get What You Want"

10. "All Down the Line"

11. "Midnight Rambler"

12. "Bye Bye Johnny"

13. "Rip This Joint"

14. "Jumpin' Jack Flash"

15. "Street Fighting Man"

That is a great film. I have a boot of it. I have always hoped they would put it out on DVD officially some day.

Also -

The Secrets Behind the Rolling Stones' "Exile on Main Street" Reissue

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards reevaluate their classic 1972 double album

Definitely looking forward to the Ladies and Gentleman release. I only saw clips before. I think they are going to be showing it at theaters, too, which will be great. I guess it only makes sense that the Stones are finally releasing this and the Exile stuff, there is plenty of unreleased stuff and I think it will sell rather well.

For some reason, I hope the put out another new record some day. I have no desire to see them live again, but hearing new songs is always fun.

Great Topic

In agreement w/ Posts about Gram Parsons Influence on the Stones because Keefe has said so

Loved as 13 y.o. Ya Ya's for many of us this set the bar for a new craze of Live Albums it was a good one imo.

Just got Grand Theft Parsons on DVD funny and touching movie... if you get the chance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a release date now:

DVD Release of Ladies & Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones: October 19, 2010

I guess since they are not doing a new album or a tour for at least another year, they are going to continue to re-release old stuff.

Tonight (and tonight only!!!!!) this movie is going to be in the theaters.

Here is a link to the participating theaters.

I am looking forward to it, since I only watched various snippets of it on YouTube. Should be great in a theatre.

Tonight (and tonight only!!!!!) this movie is going to be in the theaters.

Here is a link to the participating theaters.

I am looking forward to it, since I only watched various snippets of it on YouTube. Should be great in a theatre.

I have a bootleg of the film.

I may try to go see it tonight.

• 1 month later...

In The Independent - reference to a Times interview, but The Times has gone subscription only so no idea what goes on there.

Keith Richards tells of 'unbearable' Mick Jagger

By Lauren Turner, PA Friday, 15 October 2010

Keith Richards has revealed Johnny Depp was a frequent visitor to his home for two years before he twigged he was a Hollywood star.

The Rolling Stones star admitted he feared that the screen superstar was his son's drug dealer.

Richards also describes bandmate Mick Jagger as "unbearable" in his autobiography Life, in entries which lay bare their fraught relationship.

Guitarist Richards reveals his nicknames for Jagger are "Brenda" and "Your Majesty".

Richards writes of the distance between the pair, saying: "I used to love Mick, but I haven't been to his dressing room in 20 years.

"Sometimes I think, 'I miss my friend'. I wonder, 'Where did he go?'."

Richards uses the book to take personal swipes at his bandmate, writing: "It was the beginning of the Eighties when Mick started to become unbearable."

In a comment which could infuriate Jagger, who has been renowned for his sexual appetite, Richards writes about the singer's relationship with Marianne Faithfull, saying she "had no fun with his tiny todger. I know he's got an enormous pair of balls - but it doesn't quite fill the gap".

In an interview with Caitlin Moran in Times2 today, Richards says Jagger has read the book and added: "I think it opened his eyes, actually."

Richards, 67, says the only part Jagger wanted to be taken out of the book was a section saying that the frontman used a voice coach, but he refused, saying: "I'm trying to say the truth here."

In the interview he confesses he had no idea who Oscar-nominated actor Depp was, despite seeing him around his home.

Depp credits Richards as the inspiration for his character Jack Sparrow in the Pirates Of The Caribbean films - and the musician even went on to play his father in the third of the hit movies.

Richards said: "It took me two year before I realised who he was. He was just one of my son Marlon's mates, hanging around the house playing guitar.

"I never ask Marlon's mates who they are because, you know, 'I'm a dope dealer'. Then one day I was at dinner and I'm like 'woah, Scissorhands'."

Asked by Moran whether he was trying to "wind up" Jagger, Richards replied: "We've had our beefs but, hey, who doesn't? You try and keep something together for 50 years."

Despite years of drug taking, Richards tells Moran he hopes he has many years left to live, adding: "Well, I'm not putting death on the agenda.

"I don't want to see my old friend Lucifer just yet. He's the guy I'm gonna see, isn't it? I'm not going to the other place, let's face it."

Former junkie Richards gave up his heroin habit in 1978 and eventually stopped using cocaine after his accident in 2006 in which he fell out of a tree, requiring brain surgery and a metal plate in his skull.

"I've given up everything now - which is a trip in itself."

In a comment which could infuriate Jagger, who has been renowned for his sexual appetite, Richards writes about the singer's relationship with Marianne Faithfull, saying she "had no fun with his tiny todger. I know he's got an enormous pair of balls - but it doesn't quite fill the gap".

Apparently Jerry Hall has sprung to Mick's defense, like a dutiful ex-wife.

By chance when I sat down on the train last night there was a discarded issue of the Times from Monday that had the second part of their extracts from his autobiography. Not sure how much massaging of Keefs ramblings his 'co-writer' had to do - but I loved the style of the extract anyway. Captured his enthusiasm for the music he loves and with his character coming through whilst being very well written. There again, not sure if the process of forming the extract added another dimension of eloquence. However, loved some great descriptions there of how he still gets swept up on a rollcoaster ride when playing Jumpin Jack Flash (and it's origins via acoustic guitars fed through an old cassette recorder - he says there are no electric guitars on it apart from the bass (?) ), and his whole story and theory of his 5 string setup (which I also did not actually realise). Lots of little gems of information. I will have to skim this in a bookshop to decide if I actually want to buy it - am usually never interested in music (auto)biographies with the exception of the odd Beatles book (hence maybe not knowing stuff that you did already? - see above).

Anyway, the point is that this book might actually be rather good.

Also, this today:-

Keith Richards: the Keef factsKeith Richards's tell-all autobiography is out soon, but if you don't have time to wade through his hazy memories, here are the 20 essential things you need to know about the legendary Rolling Stones guitarist

Tom Meltzer guardian.co.uk, Monday 18 October 2010 18.40

1. On the night of the infamous 1967 Redlands drug bust, Keef was so far gone on LSD that when the police arrived at his Sussex country mansion, he mistook them for uniformed dwarves, welcoming them in with open arms.

2. He has tight veins. So tight, in fact, that he and his doctors struggle to find them; when he took heroin he had to inject it into his muscles, and sometimes the flesh of his bum. He describes this practice in the book as "interesting" but "not politically correct".

3. He once nearly burned down the Playboy Mansion (in his words: "basically it's a whorehouse"). At a party in the 1970s, he and sax player Bobby Keys accidentally set fire to a bathroom while playing "smörgåsbord" with their doctor's drugs. When staff finally broke down the door to put out the fire, a drugged-up Keef, oblivious to the flames, asked: "How dare you burst in on our private affair?"

4. He's a fan of the corny James Bond pun. Take this corker, for example, describing the night Brian Jones was taken to hospital after throwing a punch at then-girlfriend Anita Pallenberg and smashing his fist into a metal window frame: "He was never good at connecting with Anita." Genius.

5. He used to live in a Nazi mansion. In 1971, Keith moved with Pallenberg and their first son Marlon to a French villa named Nellcôte. During the German occupation of France in the second world war, Nellcôte was the local Gestapo headquarters, and there were still swastikas on the radiators when Keef arrived. It was there that the Stones recorded their 10th studio album, Exile on Main Street.

6. Jumping Jack Flash was actually Keef's gardener at Redlands, Jack Dyer. The inspiration for the song came when the stomping of Jack's rubber boots woke Jagger from a hazy drug-induced sleep. The front man then appended the word "Flash" to the nickname Jumping Jack, the two riffed on the gardener's rural childhood, and a hit was born.

7. In 1967, after the Redlands drugs bust, Keef was convinced his phone calls were being monitored. When he left for Morocco he sent a postcard to his mum saying: "Sorry I didn't phone before I left, my telephones aren't safe to talk on." It was, incidentally, the News of the World who'd stung him.

8. His Belgian chauffeur developed a severe perambulatory impediment after ratting the band out to the News of the World in the build-up to the Redlands raid. In Keef's words: "As I heard it, he never walked the same again."

9. The dark blue Bentley he drove to Morocco in after the bust was named Blue Lena, after US singer, actor and civil rights activist Lena Horne. Richards even sent her a picture of it. The question of whether or not she replied goes sadly unanswered.

10. The car, an S3 Continental Flying Spur, was one of just 86 ever made. It had to be specially fitted with a secret compartment for Richards to stash his drugs in.

11. When he and Pallenberg first checked into a hotel together they used the aliases Count and Countess Zigenpuss, from the German Ziegenfuss, meaning goat's foot. They later used the names Count and Countess Castiglione.

12. He told Tony Blair to "keep on rockin'" in a letter in support of the Iraq war, at least according to a claim in Prospect, which neither Blair nor Keef's people have denied. Sources close to Blair claim the letter is the former PM's most treasured possession.

13. He likes to hug. He writes that, often, he would go to bed with women just for a little hug and kiss, and nothing else, just to have someone to keep him warm for the night.

14. He was a pirate king long before Johnny Depp's Captain Jack. He calls the plane the band hired for their 1972 tour "a pirate nation", moving under its own flag: the lapping tongue. He's also due to reprise his role as legendary seafarer Captain Teague in the new Pirates of the Carribean film.

15. He told Scottish film director Donald Cammell to take "the gentleman's way out" three years before Cammell killed himself in 1996. In the book he describes Cammell as "a twister and a manipulator" and blames him for maliciously orchestrating the affair between his lover Pallenberg and bandmate Mick Jagger through casting them as lovers in Performance.

16. An affair that, by the way, he is, like, totally over. The book contains one particularly magnanimous section in which he directly addresses his estranged band mate, explaining: "But, you know, while you were doing that, I was knocking Marianne [Faithfull], man. While you were missing it, I was kissing it."

17. He continues in a similarly forgiving fashion, describing Pallenberg's encounter with Jagger in detached and forgiving terms: "She had no fun with the tiny todger." He follows this up with a sentence containing, among others, the words "balls", "massive", "fill" and "hole", in a combination that no one ever needed to read.

18. He is a green-eyed monster. At least according to Jagger's ex-wife Jerry Hall. She told Graham Norton: "Mick is very well endowed. I should know – I was with him for 23 years. Keith is just jealous."

19. He never makes the first move with a woman. "I just don't know how to do it," he writes. "I'm tongue-tied." Instead, he claims, his seductive technique was to create an aura of "insufferable tension" and wait for the woman to give in.

20. In fact, on the inside he's a knight in shining armour. He claims he couldn't make a move on Pallenberg when she was still with Jones because of "the Sir Galahad inside". His gallant, knightly nature comes out clearly in such romantic lines as "If I were Brian, I would have been a little bit sweeter and kept the bitch."

• 1 month later...