Rolling Stones to reissue Get Your Ya Ya's Out

This is kind of cool: isolating the tracks of Gimme Shelter.

Yeah, pretty cool indeed. I wonder if they combined tracks onto one for this demonstration, or if that's how it is on the original tape. The one track has guitar, piano and Mick's harmonica in places. Considering the year of the recording, this was likely recorded on an 8-track or 16 at the most so I'm thinking they probably had to bounce a lot of stuff down to one track. I've always maintained that those kind of limitations force you to be more creative and work quicker. Nowadays people have endless number of tracks, take forever to finish a song, but the music often has less going for it than stuff like this.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of wild that this thread is at the top - I logged on to post in it and figured I'd have to search.

Anywayz, I'm reading Keef's book and am mad for Exile right now and realized I want the remaster. But - there seems to be no package offer where you get the remaster on vinyl, is that right?

@ Sir Stewart - There's a super deluxe version of the 2010 Exile remaster that comes with 2-LPs, 2-CDs, and 1 DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Exile-Main-St-Super-Deluxe/dp/B0039ZF89G

I saw the other week that a 13-LP vinyl box set was released too (No Exile, but some great records in there nonetheless):

http://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Stones-1964-1969-Limited-Remastered/dp/B00461MY30

I love this kind of stuff. Amazing how terrible the drumming is, but it sounds great in context.

Overall I think the drumming is pretty great on that track actually. Great groove and fills that perfectly compliment the song, and the sound of the drums is pretty good too. I'd kill to get a drum track like this on one of my recordings.

@ Sir Stewart - There's a super deluxe version of the 2010 Exile remaster that comes with 2-LPs, 2-CDs, and 1 DVD:

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0039ZF89G

Thanks but: I saw that before asking and while the pic makes it look like there's vinyl included, vinyl is not mentioned in the description (unless I'm blind). EDIT: Reading it again, and searching for the term 'vinyl' on the page, it appears that the Super does include the vinyl.

Wouldn't have checked again if you didn't post that, so thanks GtrPlyr!

Too bad those Gimme Shelter links are gone. That was pretty exciting.

I think those tracks originated from some guys blog. You can find it if you do a search (Deconstructing ‘Gimme Shelter'). I have seen a lot of that sort of thing out there - due to the Rock Band video game.

Cannot access - "this video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by ABKCO."

All but one of the youtube vids at that site are working again. Act quick, they might not last long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On his latest show he talks about how him and Jagger wrote "No Use In Crying" while they were in Linda Ronstadt's cupboard in Malibu. Being a Stones geek, I enjoy these types of stories. It seems that Wood is one of most affable rock stars - it seems he played or partied with everyone. I haven't gotten around to read his auto-bio, yet.

I have it. It's the usual rock book story. I was surprised to read that after all these years he was basically broke.

Unfortunately, he has a lot of bad habits - money management being one of them. Obviously he didn't really start rolling in the dough until the late 80s or early 90s, but still he should have more money.

I browsed over it (at my local Borders, none the less) - it seems like it could be read in one rainy Sat. afternoon.

Unfortunately, he has a lot of bad habits - money management being one of them. Obviously he didn't really start rolling in the dough until the late 80s or early 90s, but still he should have more money.

I browsed over it (at my local Borders, none the less) - it seems like it could be read in one rainy Sat. afternoon.

I think I got it for 5 bucks off one of those bargain tables at Barnes and Noble.

In one of the shows I listened to he talked about the Jeff Beck Group a lot. He has no love for Peter Grant.