I and Love and You (vinyl)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a really fun show, made even more awesome by their Three Amigos costumes:

:w00t

Alright now, calm down, time to get back to reality.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI

Presale for some west coast dates went on sale today.

April 17- Fox Theater (Oakland, CA)

Pre-sale starts 12 PM PST

April 20- Boulder Theater (Boulder, CO)

Pre-sale starts 12 PM MST

April 21- Boulder Theater (Boulder, CO)

Pre-sale starts 12PM MST

April 23- Rialto Theatre (Tucson, AZ)

April 24- Ikeda Theater (Mesa, AZ)

April 27- Crest Theatre (Sacramento, CA)

April 29- House of Blues (San Diego, CA)

http://tixx1.artistarena.com/iandloveandyou/?utm_medium=columbia-email&utm_source=theavettbrothers&utm_campaign=columbia-email|theavettbrothers|20091111

• 3 months later...

just got home from seeing the Avetts in Columbia MO tonight. Low Anthem opened and they were impressive to say the least.

as for the Avetts, if you get a chance to see these guys live, do so. These guys rank up there in terms of live acts that I've seen and are definetly at the top of their game in a live setting. Super talented, big time energy and "Laundry Room" especially tore the doors off the place.

I know I am going to get killed on here for my opinions. However, The Avett Brothers are the best thing going today. I & Love & You is a solid progresion to me. Easily some of the best lyrics out there today. Head full of doubt is an excellent song, so is Laundry Room and Ill with Want. I could only wish that Wilco is half as interesting both on cd/vinyl and live as these guys. I have no clue as why people even bother to post Wilco setlists any longer. Except for 1 or 2 songs a night it is the same old line. My last few Wilco concerts I have been able to predict almost the entire set list from reading them on Via Chicago. Simply put the last Wilco concert I attended was boring. The Avetts on the other hand, provide an energetic and diverse set list every night and for my money way more bang for the buck. I miss the days of the unpredictable Wilco sets. Sorry to disappoint or incite a riot but Wilco is by far not the most interesting recorded or live band anymore. I prefer the Avett Brothers and My Morning Jacket anyday. Still Love me some Wilco but it just isn't the same anymore. Perhaps time for Jeff to shake things up a bit? Now start throwing your stones at me.

I know I am going to get killed on here for my opinions. However, The Avett Brothers are the best thing going today. I & Love & You is a solid progresion to me. Easily some of the best lyrics out there today. Head full of doubt is an excellent song, so is Laundry Room and Ill with Want. I could only wish that Wilco is half as interesting both on cd/vinyl and live as these guys. I have no clue as why people even bother to post Wilco setlists any longer. Except for 1 or 2 songs a night it is the same old line. My last few Wilco concerts I have been able to predict almost the entire set list from reading them on Via Chicago. Simply put the last Wilco concert I attended was boring. The Avetts on the other hand, provide an energetic and diverse set list every night and for my money way more bang for the buck. I miss the days of the unpredictable Wilco sets. Sorry to disappoint or incite a riot but Wilco is by far not the most interesting recorded or live band anymore. I prefer the Avett Brothers and My Morning Jacket anyday. Still Love me some Wilco but it just isn't the same anymore. Perhaps time for Jeff to shake things up a bit? Now start throwing your stones at me.

my wife and I had a conversation on the way home from the show about who is better live the Avetts (currently) or Being There era Wilco. We both agreed that nothing would likely ever top Being There era Wilco in terms of intensity and the "what the hell is going to happen next" factor. However The Avetts right now are just killing it live.

The whole Wilco vs. The Avetts thing, I don't know, I for one am still disappointed with I and Love and You and after Emotionalism and the Gleam Ep's I was expecting huge huge things and was let down. That being said, I think Avetts vs. Wilco is apples and oranges and I will always have room for both. I will concede that one band is peaking and the other has already peaked, for what that is worth.

my wife and I had a conversation on the way home from the show about who is better live the Avetts (currently) or Being There era Wilco. We both agreed that nothing would likely ever top Being There era Wilco in terms of intensity and the "what the hell is going to happen next" factor. However The Avetts right now are just killing it live.

The whole Wilco vs. The Avetts thing, I don't know, I for one am still disappointed with I and Love and You and after Emotionalism and the Gleam Ep's I was expecting huge huge things and was let down. That being said, I think Avetts vs. Wilco is apples and oranges and I will always have room for both. I will concede that one band is peaking and the other has already peaked, for what that is worth.

Great point about bands reaching their peak. I love the sonwriting and the new direction the Avetts have taken and I enjoy being along for the ride. The songwriting on I & Love & You is the best from the Avett's to this date. I do love 4 Thiefs and Emotionalism is a standout, I especially love Salina live. I appreciate the fact the Avett's are willing to take chances and I don't mind at all that they have broadened their audience by taking these chances.

My original point may not have been clear, I was more less comparing current Wilco shows to current Avett Brother shows and for me there is no comparision, the Avett's win by a long stretch. Still Love Wilco but it is very cofusing that Wilco now probably has the most diverse and talented line up ever and they are very routine live, especially given the large catalogue that they can now draw from. Simply put, I get excited to read Avett setlists each moring after a show. Reading a Wilco setlist does not get the same responce as they are normally one and the same. That said I still pay to see them, just don't do back to back nights any longer as I feel it is a waste of money or like watching the same movie 2 nights in a row.

I get where you are coming from. The current Wilco tour in support of (The Album) is the first tour I have not seen them on. I personally have found them to be hit and miss live since the SummerTeeth tour. To me, there is certain comfort about the Wilco shows on recent tours that has left me at times underwhelmed. Wilco use to be emotionally intense in a live setting, now it kind of feels like a band playing their hits (of course there are no hits) but you get what I'm saying. I can't speak for the current tour however.

just got home from seeing the Avetts in Columbia MO tonight. Low Anthem opened and they were impressive to say the least.

as for the Avetts, if you get a chance to see these guys live, do so. These guys rank up there in terms of live acts that I've seen and are definetly at the top of their game in a live setting. Super talented, big time energy and "Laundry Room" especially tore the doors off the place.

good to know! i've got front row for tonight's show...

I have tried and tried with this band. I've seen them live and bought a few albums, and while I like a few songs I just really can't understand what the big deal is. There was a great Mumford and Sons review on Pitchfork a few days back (I have not listened to that album enough to say whether I agree with the 2.1 rating, but it was extremely well-written) that mentioned them borrowing some "exaggerated earnestness on consignment from the Avett Brothers," and I think that's pretty dead on.

I get where you are coming from. The current Wilco tour in support of (The Album) is the first tour I have not seen them on. I personally have found them to be hit and miss live since the SummerTeeth tour. To me, there is certain comfort about the Wilco shows on recent tours that has left me at times underwhelmed. Wilco use to be emotionally intense in a live setting, now it kind of feels like a band playing their hits (of course there are no hits) but you get what I'm saying. I can't speak for the current tour however.

I think some of that has to be the venues involved? Wilco is playing larger venues so I think maybe it's a bit harder to "connect".

Agree, I loved the Beng There and Summer Teeth tours. Went to many shows in several cities. I just got tickets to see the Avett Brothers at Red Rocks, very excited for that. I want to be excited to see Wilco again, hope the sets start to change or I may never feel the same about a Wilco live show. I assume they are still great for folks who haven't been to as many shows or who are seeing them for the first time. The sound and playing are always quality never the less.

I have tried and tried with this band. I've seen them live and bought a few albums, and while I like a few songs I just really can't understand what the big deal is. There was a great Mumford and Sons review on Pitchfork a few days back (I have not listened to that album enough to say whether I agree with the 2.1 rating, but it was extremely well-written) that mentioned them borrowing some "exaggerated earnestness on consignment from the Avett Brothers," and I think that's pretty dead on.

of course pitchfork is going to hate anything that resonates on a sincerely emotional level. but that being said I do agree that the earnestness on the most recent avett brothers record was not as natural or geniune as I percieved it to be on previous records.

as great as the Avett's are live, i really hope they don't bother working with Rick Rubin ever again...

To each his own, I truly like what Rubin has done for the Avett's and most important the band was hoping to make a record like I & Love & You. It didn't just happen because of Rick. The extra money from a major label allowed them the capital to make the record. I love the old Avett stuff as well, just enjoy the way a band matures and progresses and Rick was a major part of that. Don't count on them not working with Rick any more, as I believe they are signed with American now. Keep on, keepig on Avetts! Magazine critics opinion generaly don't mean much to me. For God sakes the critics loved Wilco the album. While it contained a few quality songs, it got a few plays in my car cd then was relagated to bottom of my cd case in favor of much better Wilco and other cds.

that Pitchfork review of Mumford & Sons is total bullshit btw

Maybe, but I like Stephen M. Deusner's contributions more than most on that site.

To each his own, I truly like what Rubin has done for the Avett's and most important the band was hoping to make a record like I & Love & You. It didn't just happen because of Rick. The extra money from a major label allowed them the capital to make the record. I love the old Avett stuff as well, just enjoy the way a band matures and progresses and Rick was a major part of that. Don't count on them not working with Rick any more, as I believe they are signed with American now. Keep on, keepig on Avetts! Magazine critics opinion generaly don't mean much to me. For God sakes the critics loved Wilco the album. While it contained a few quality songs, it got a few plays in my car cd then was relagated to bottom of my cd case in favor of much better Wilco and other cds.

I and Love and You is a bit too close to adult-contemporary at times for me. not a big fan of piano being the main instrument in the band at all, that's not why i got into them.

Maybe, but I like Stephen M. Deusner's contributions more than most on that site.

there's maybe 2 reviewers on the entire site i can actually stand

I and Love and You is a bit too close to adult-contemporary at times for me. not a big fan of piano being the main instrument in the band at all, that's not why i got into them.

there's maybe 2 reviewers on the entire site i can actually stand

I have always respected your views on music on this board, still do. Recent Wilco (SBS and WTA) is far more adult comtemporary for me.

it's more dad rock than adult contemp... but i wouldn't disagree with you, neither are the bands best work whatsoever

seeing Avetts for the 4th time tonight tho! can't wait to see Low Anthem too

it's more dad rock than adult contemp... but i wouldn't disagree with you, neither are the bands best work whatsoever

seeing Avetts for the 4th time tonight tho! can't wait to see Low Anthem too

I probably rank I & Love & You as the 3rd best Avett cd. Behind 4 Thieves and Emotionalism, depending on my mood.

You will enjoy Low Anthem they were great at the Athens, Ohio show. Enjoy! I have tickets to see the Avetts at Red Rocks in September, too bad I have to set through Gov. Mule also.