i don't think he's over-rated, as such, but liking him is no guarantee to having any musical nouse, i think that's because his music is pretty much a dead-end. liking jimi hendrix doesn't open-up any musical doors to anywhere; well not any that shouldn't be locked with warning signs placed on them, anyway.

Can you expand on this a bit? On the face of it, I would strongly disagree, but maybe I'm missing something. Interesting thought, whether I agree or not.

Maybe you're thinking Hendrix --> Satriani, Yngwie, etc. I prefer to think more along the lines of Hendrix --> Miles Davis electric period, Tony Williams Lifetime, etc . I think liking Hendrix has the potential to lead a listener to many different artists and genres of music, since he incorporated so many different genres into his own music, and played with so many different musicians. It's hardly a dead end.

According to Wikipedia (which is a pretty definitive source for crash information - especially for a possible mid-air collision over France in 1973), there has been only one Iberia Airlines aviation incident, in 1967.

Iberia Airlines crashes

Interesting. A lot of people seem to think he faked his death and went into hiding with large sums of money.

Guest Speed Racer

Interesting. A lot of people seem to think he faked his death and went into hiding with large sums of money.

Found the crash in question in my edited post. That man would have had to go through a LOT of trouble to fake a mid-air collision, though.

Found the crash in question in my edited post. That man would have had to go through a LOT of trouble to fake a mid-air collision, though.

I think the story goes that he checked in his bags, but never got on the plane. He is also suspected of being behind the incident of Hendrix being kidnapped. You can read about all of this in various Hendrix books.

I would recommend this one:

Hendrix: Setting the Record Straight

by Edward E Kramer and John McDermott

i like Midnight lamp - i just hate it when he hides behind a wall of feedback. i thought that was Spector's job?

I would not say he hid behind a wall of feedback. It was a tool that he used much better than anyone had before. He had uncanny control of it.

I would not say he hid behind a wall of feedback. It was a tool that he used much better than anyone had before. He had uncanny control of it.

I wouldn't say that either. Maybe it'd be easy to get that impression if all you knew of him was the end of his Monterey Pop Festival performance, but the vast majority of his output is pretty straightforward, melodic badass guitar playing, effects or no effects. I've recently been listening to South Saturn Delta and the two disc Band of Gypsies set, and I've been blown away by him maybe more than I have since I first heard him as a teenager in the '80s. Anyone who thinks he hides behind feedback, check out either of those releases to have your mind changed.

Can you expand on this a bit? On the face of it, I would strongly disagree, but maybe I'm missing something. Interesting thought, whether I agree or not.

Maybe you're thinking Hendrix --> Satriani, Yngwie, etc. I prefer to think more along the lines of Hendrix --> Miles Davis electric period, Tony Williams Lifetime, etc .

I'd also add Funkadelic and Prince to the list.

I'd also bet that Hendrix has impelled quite a few people to check out the artists that influenced him like Curtis Mayfield, Bob Dylan, Muddy Waters...

i like Midnight lamp - i just hate it when he hides behind a wall of feedback. i thought that was Spector's job?

You need to get your self some religion. Get to the Electric church.

Is The Independent a reputable publication (as English newspapers go)?

The Independent is one of the more reputable yes. One of my preferred reads when I'm on a long journey but never have the time/dedication on a day to day basis.

As far as conspiracy theories go, I always embrace them but never seem to reach a verdict. I'll always (well, almost) find a counter argument to many things...I reckon I could argue a conspiracy theory with meself in an isolated room!

Is The Independent the paper that runs Martin Newell's funny little poems every week?

I can't say I've ever seen them...I think it's more likely the Daily Mail or Express. I'll keep me eyes peeled!

Maybe you're thinking Hendrix --> Satriani, Yngwie, etc. I prefer to think more along the lines of Hendrix --> Miles Davis electric period, Tony Williams Lifetime, etc . I think liking Hendrix has the potential to lead a listener to many different artists and genres of music, since he incorporated so many different genres into his own music, and played with so many different musicians. It's hardly a dead end.

i don't really know how to explain what i mean exactly - i just think that when you get to jimi hendrix, you have to turn around and come back again. :stunned

i don't really know how to explain what i mean exactly - i just think that when you get to jimi hendrix, you have to turn around and come back again. :stunned

Fair enough. I suppose I see your point, in a way.

I don't know how old you are, but maybe it's different for me since I grew up in the '80s. In my world (I don't mean that to sound snarky), when my friends and I got into rock music as a teenagers or pre-teens, Hendrix was one of the first people we listened to, along with Zeppelin, Beatles, the Who, and some then-current acts like Van Halen. So, although Hendrix is technically very advanced, his records are, or were, entry level listening.

So, although Hendrix is technically very advanced, his records are, or were, entry level listening.

Just trying to understand, so you think his music is very easy to digest, simplistic, not complex or challenging? Is that what "entry level" means?

I'm not being sarcastic, in fact I kind of understand what you are saying, I have just never really heard that term "entry level" applied to music. I could see it more with books or art maybe so I suppose music could be the same way. You are not necessarily saying it's not good...

I just think that at the beginning, they didn't know what to do with Hendrix in the studio.

To me, Electric Ladyland was the first one to really capture what he was all about (Little Miss Strange notwithstanding).

That is partly due to the fact that Chas Chandler was gone, and therefore, Jimi was in control. You have to understand that Chas Chandler's vision for Jimi mirrored what he had been through with The Animals. That is, to take raw unrestrained playing, and turn it into a three minute hit song. You can see the change from that sort of thinking start to development on Avis: Bold as Love. Oddly enough, that is how Jimi ended up with Mike Jeffries as he was The Animals manager, and managed Chas, if I recall correctly. Chas sold his interest in Jimi to Jeffries.

And it also has to do with time, technology, and money.

Just trying to understand, so you think his music is very easy to digest, simplistic, not complex or challenging? Is that what "entry level" means?

I'm not being sarcastic, in fact I kind of understand what you are saying, I have just never really heard that term "entry level" applied to music. I could see it more with books or art maybe so I suppose music could be the same way. You are not necessarily saying it's not good...

I'm definitely not saying it's not good, or making any negative comment. Quite the contrary, actually.

What I mean is that Hendrix is one of the most well known and most important names in rock music, and he is one of the first rock artists people got into. At least, that was the case circa mid '80s - early '90s, in suburban Atlanta. It's probably different now.

I don't mean "entry level" in a derogatory way. I mean it more in a "Mount Rushmore of rock music" way, and it's about as good of a jumping off point for discovering a world of music as has ever existed.

I don't mean "entry level" in a derogatory way. I mean it more in a "Mount Rushmore of rock music" way, and it's about as good of a jumping off point for discovering a world of music as has ever existed.

Ah, I got you. I like that.