I wonder if anyone here on VC ever saw Jimi play. Man, if I was just 10 years older...

I think we were talking about this recently. Jimi didn't really play around all that much and I didn't see him.

On his most recent album, Dave Alvin has a song about seeing him (not his best song however.) I was all of 20 when he died. I do remember that however.

LouieB

I think we were talking about this recently. Jimi didn't really play around all that much and I didn't see him.

LouieB

Well damn, I thought you might be the guy. :lol

I had a friend (now deceased, sadly) who was a photographer and he did get to take some wonderful shots of Jimi, and actually got to meet him. I have a Hendrix book around here that listed his shows and evidently they did play in Indy once (with the original CTA opening). As someone stated in another thread Jimi was quite impressed with Terry Kath. THAT would have been a show to see.

Apparently he was murdered by his former manager who was eager to cash in on an insurance policy:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/hendrix-murdered-by-his-manager-says-former-aide-1693583.html

Is The Independent a reputable publication (as English newspapers go)?

i'm serious! - i never understood that man apart from Wind cries Mary

One does not 'understand' a force of nature.

most overrated musician ever.

I think Hendrix is one of the few musicians that might be impossible to overrate. The man created a new language with the guitar after all, and his ability to combine elements of Rock, R&B, Blues and Jazz and take them to another stratosphere was quite something.

i don't think he's over-rated, as such, but liking him is no guarantee to having any musical nouse, i think that's because his music is pretty much a dead-end. liking jimi hendrix doesn't open-up any musical doors to anywhere; well not any that shouldn't be locked with warning signs placed on them, anyway.

fav jimi song: burning of the midnight lamp

Here's another article. I'm not a conspiracy theorist on most things, but given the circumstances leading up to his death and his notoriously ruthless manager, I'm open to the possibility he was murdered.

The Mystery Behind Hendrix's Death

http://www.thewrap.com/blog-entry/mystery-behind-hendrixs-death_7330

By David Comfort

Published: September 17, 2009

James Marshall Hendrix, hailed as “the greatest guitarist who ever lived,” died September 18, 1970. On the thirty-ninth anniversary of his passing, the tragedy remains a mystery.

Or does it?

Like many short-lived rock icons -- John Lennon, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain -- Jimi heard his train coming early on. "I’m not sure I will live to be twenty-eight years old,” he'd told friends. “He kept repeating that he was going to die before he was thirty,” recalled his lover, Colette Mimram.

The guitarist’s last days were ominous. He left the states for a European tour in August, 1970, saying, “New York is killing me at the moment.” Indeed, he was caught in a crossfire between his mafia-connected manager and his Black Panther bodyguards.

A year before, just after headlining Woodstock, he had been kidnapped at gunpoint and held captive for three days.

Matters went from bad to worse for what was to be his last performance, the Love and Peace Festival on the German Isle of Fehmarn.

It was raining torrentially, the fans were in a foul mood, and the Hell’s Angels securitymen -- two-fisting booze, leapers and creepers a la Altamont -- were not feeling the love either.

During a break in the storm, Jimi did a quick set, kicking it off with Killin’ Floor, then managed a getaway in a taxi before the Angels torched the stage, shot one of his roadies, and shanked his tour manager with a nail-studded plank.

Bassist Billy Cox freaked, convinced that they would return home in body bags.

“We’re gonna die!” he kept sobbing hysterically on the plane from Hamburg.

“Nobody’s gonna die,” Jimi kept telling his old army buddy.

But, on arriving in England where he had launched his career three years before, he told another friend, “I’m circled by wolves.”

Who were these wolves? Stalking lovers, lawyers on his tail for paternity suits, music producers trying to extort him. The real predator, however, was his very own manager whom he was about to fire for mismanagement and the embezzlement of millions.

Mike Jeffery was the Machiavellian Al Capone of rock managers. He’d cut his teeth as a demolition expert and assassin for the British MI6. Retiring to civilian life, he became the understudy of Don Arden himself, the self-described “English Godfather of Rock” (and father of Sharon Osbourne, Ozzie’s future wife).

Arden, who later managed Black Sabbath, the Small Faces, and ELO, negotiated and protected contracts with brass knuckles, Lugers and German shepherds.

Proving himself a precocious student, Jeffery went independent after stealing “Mr. Big’s” golden goose, the Animals, and living to boast about it.

He then bought up rock clubs, torched them for the insurance, built bigger clubs, bankrupted the Animals and opened numbered accounts in Majorca and the Caymans. Finally, he usurped Hendrix’s management from the Animals’ bass player, Chas Chandler.

After relentlessly touring and bleeding the Hendrix Experience for two years, the former spy became a multi-millionaire. By contrast, Jimi was too drugged out to realize he remained a pauper except for Stratocasters, totaled Corvettes, and mountains of coke and acid.

When, just before his death, he staggered into a London club, his friend Eric Burdon was “devastated” by what he saw. “Jimi was a mess -- dirty, out of control like I’d never seen him,” recalled the Animals’ singer who had forewarned him about Jeffery.

“He had a head full of something – heroin, ludes, or German sleeping pills.”

As Hendrix left the club that night, he mumbled, “I’m almost gone.”

Two days later, the body of the guitarist lay on a stainless steel gurney at St. Mary’s Hospital. His clothes and hair were soaked with red wine which he had never drunk.

The surgeon on duty, Dr. Bannister, suctioned inexhaustible quantities from his stomach and lungs. “Someone apparently poured red wine down Jimi’s throat to intentionally cause asphyxiation,” he stated years later.

Though Bannister concluded that Hendrix had been “drowned,” the coroner’s report dismissed the case as “death by misadventure.”

A former Jeffery associate, James Wright, asserts in his 2009 title, Rock Roadie, that the manager confessed to the murder in 1971. “That son of a bitch was going to leave me,” Jeffery said. “If I lost him, I’d lose everything.”

Jeffery collected on the star’s $2 million life insurance policy. He was reportedly killed in an unexplained 1973 airline crash over France.

His remains, however, were never found. Eric Burdon, Experience bassist Noel Redding, among others, have speculated that the former MI6 demolition expert checked baggage but never boarded the flight.

“If it is possible to maintain consciousness after death,” wrote Noel Redding in his memoir, ”then Jimi must be in agony.”

But, in spite of it all, surely not. Jimi once said, “My goal is to be one with the music. I just dedicate my whole life to this art.”

Few doubt that he achieved this grand ambition. During his all too brief life, he taught us that “with the power of soul” anything is indeed possible.

froggie if you like The Wind Cries Mary, then you should check out Red House, Little Wing, Burning Of The Midnight Lamp, Rainy Day Dream Away, If 6 Was 9, Castles Made Of Sand, Hey Joe...

i like Midnight lamp - i just hate it when he hides behind a wall of feedback. i thought that was Spector's job?

i like Midnight lamp - i just hate it when he hides behind a wall of feedback. i thought that was Spector's job?

It could be that you would like the latter Hendrix. I am much more inclined to want to hear Straight Ahead, than say, Foxy Lady.

Speaking of mysterious rock star deaths, I read a while back that the death of Brian Jones is being looked into again. He and Jimi were close friends.

Guest Speed Racer

Here's another article. I'm not a conspiracy theorist on most things, but given the circumstances leading up to his death and his notoriously ruthless manager, I'm open to the possibility he was murdered.

I'm definitely open to the possibility that he was murdered, too. I think the New York Times or Washington Post had a feature on his death - specifically exploring the nature and purpose of the red wine on his body - a few months back.

But Holy Christ Almighty was that a horribly, horribly written article. Not that The Wrap should be held to the highest journalistic standards, but it was almost completely void of proper nouns exploring the devious nature of Hendrix's manager. No clubs that he "torched" were named, and there was no "airline" accident in France in 1973 except for a flight originating from Rio de Janeiro that he likely did not blow up himself.

If there was some sort of conspiracy theory, they shouldn't have trouble coming up with basic facts that like. Not saying that it isn't a possibility (like I said, I believe it is), but what a shitty article.

According to all Hendrix books I have read, and documentaries I have seen, Michael Jeffery was a pretty shady character.

This has always been the statement about his death:

He was killed in 1973 in a mid-air collision over Nantes, France, whilst aboard an Iberia Airlines DC-9.