Girls - Album

but what bugs me more than them slapping a 9.x on the latest thing, is probably the so-so reviews and scores (between 6-7.9) that they give tons of really great records (especially from what i've been told by former staffers about how they come about their scores). i mean i honestly know a couple people who check Pitchfork and just glance at the scores, anything less than like an 8 they automatically stop reading and likely never check out the record. which i know is super lame, but if i know some people like that personally, clearly they're not the only ones.

that's what i want from a magazine. i know what they like, therefore i like them (cos we like similar things) and therefore when they say something is good - i know i'll think it's good too, something middling and i'll think the same etc..

i'm not necessarily saying that's how i feel about pitchfork - i generally find out what's good from what people say on a few forums (which is probably an indirect pitchfork influence anyway!), but what i'm saying is that what you think is bad , and everyone else seems to think is bad - should actually be the best thing about them.

i recognize their impact and applaud Schreiber for creating something so widely regarded out of his basement in suburban Minneapolis, but i think far too many people take what they say as the gospel. but what bugs me more than them slapping a 9.x on the latest thing, is probably the so-so reviews and scores (between 6-7.9) that they give tons of really great records (especially from what i've been told by former staffers about how they come about their scores). i mean i honestly know a couple people who check Pitchfork and just glance at the scores, anything less than like an 8 they automatically stop reading and likely never check out the record. which i know is super lame, but if i know some people like that personally, clearly they're not the only ones.

What's their method?

that's what i want from a magazine. i know what they like, therefore i like them (cos we like similar things) and therefore when they say something is good - i know i'll think it's good too, something middling and i'll think the same etc..

i'm not necessarily saying that's how i feel about pitchfork - i generally find out what's good from what people say on a few forums (which is probably an indirect pitchfork influence anyway!), but what i'm saying is that what you think is bad , and everyone else seems to think is bad - should actually be the best thing about them.

i guess i've never experienced that kind of consistancy/matchup with my tastes and ANY publication, past or present, so maybe i just have pretty weird taste (wouldn't surprise me in the least). ;) but as you said, forum recommendations, whether it's Via, SOMB, UKK, etc. are much more useful for me personally since i usually have some type of knowledge of or relationship with the person making the recommendation (even if it's strictly online), and i tend to know their tastes a lot better than I would a random Pitchfork reviewer. it used to be easier when Pfork was the same 5-6 writers, that much i did like about it earlier on.

but in the case of Pitchfork, i'd also argue i don't "know what they like" really, since it's often so random/arbitrary. most of the artists i truly LOVE don't get that good of Pitchfork scores/reviews, that's for sure. and their slighting of most anything mainstream (unless it's rap) can be tiring.

but in the case of Pitchfork, i'd also argue i don't "know what they like" really, since it's often so random/arbitrary. most of the artists i truly LOVE don't get that good of Pitchfork scores/reviews, that's for sure. and their slighting of most anything mainstream (unless it's rap) can be tiring.

That's definitely what wears me out the most about them.

I'm giving this one the college try. First listen the vocals grated me. Second listen i warmed to it a little.

I think i need to spin it a few more times before making a final decision. Although i di think it safe to say it would not receive a 9.1 on the intodeep scale, but it still may be a nice album when all is said and done.

ditto.

i think the latest popular band they ate for lunch was Pearl Jam with Backspacer.

basically the reviewer's score has very little to do with what score they deem the album... which is why you often read reviews that glow more than the review score states (or vice versa). just seems they often have too much editorial control in the overall score. and like i said above, even if I don't really take much stock in their scores, plenty of people do. it's great when it helps a band, but sucks when it really hurts a band too (esp. in cases where other media outlets have a fairly positive consensus on a record)

he does write catchy songs - i think the profanity - even in the song titles - will hurt it as a commercial entity - although E manages to get songs on soundtracks/movies, etc anyway, so maybe not.

of course, they'll probably say "i won't sell my music," but that may be the only way to make a decent income.

...he does write catchy songs - i think the profanity - even in the song titles - will hurt it as a commercial entity...

I thought that exact same thing today as I was listening to the album while exercising. I made a special note in my head of the profanities in the titles and lyrics. He could have done without most of them to be honest.

Enjoying this. I don't have any big issue with the guy's voice.

For some reason these guys are reminding me of The Fletcher Pratt, a fantastic but now defunct band from Detroit who put out a masterpiece called Nine By Nine several years ago.

For some reason these guys are reminding me of The Fletcher Pratt, a fantastic but now defunct band from Detroit who put out a masterpiece called Nine By Nine several years ago.

The All Music Guide review makes that album sound very interesting. Hopefully I can hunt down some songs to stream online.

The All Music Guide review makes that album sound very interesting. Hopefully I can hunt down some songs to stream online.

I'll look for my copy this evening. Maybe I can help you out.

• 1 month later...

saw them on Saturday here in Minneapolis...

really boring live band who seemed like it pained them to be onstage playing music sadly.

even Lust For Life had zero energy compared to the studio version (it seemed like they rushed through the song just to get it over with too, i'd guess it was maybe 1:45 long live)

unfortunate because the record has grown on me quite a bit, to the point where i love 3-4 songs a TON (rest is kinda filler for me)

my friend who saw them twice @ SXSW this past March said that of the 2 sets he saw, one was awful and one was quite good, so sounds like they're just pretty hit or miss.