Roman Polanski

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure. And being put in prison for some years certainly allows to get away with it after. That's what everyone takes as justice in this world. That ridiculous notion of punishment.

"to pay the price". Good Lord, as if there was a price to pay. If that is the case, many people are ready to pay the price.

In short, to tell what I think, punishment doesn't change anything.

I don't care that 76 years old Polanski would be finally put in jail. I sincerely don't care. What irritates me, is the people who want to punish him for the sake of the punishment, and call that *justice*. But that's not *justice* at all. Give me a break, moralist freaks.

Well, fuck it, then. When he gets to LA, just shoot him on the tarmac and throw his body in the tar pit.

Who, in this thread, has said that? Who anywhere has said that?

I've read that on several other sites and read it between the lines here as well. You know, if "he can't get away with it", that means "he should be punished". No? As well as from half of the French people mentionned earlier in this thread, funny to note that those who treat Polanski of "pedophile" are from the worst political side of our country (extreme right winged - the fascist kind, the ultra national front). Well, they certainly hate Polanski's movies anyway. The way they go from the rape of a teen in attenuating circumstances to straight "pedophelia" is simply disgusting. Polanski isn't a child rapist, and he hasn't done any other rape over more than 30 years. And what kind of rape it was, only him and her know. I for one won't judge, as much as I won't excuse the man either.

Polanski Case Exposes Divisions in France

By DOREEN CARVAJAL

For two days, supporters in the demi-monde of movies and media circulated petitions and took to the airwaves in his defense. Among them was the philosopher Bernard-Henri Lévy, who suggested that perhaps the Swiss had more serious criminal matters to attend to than Mr. Polanski, who, he said, “perhaps had committed a youthful error.”

44 year old man gives 13 year old girl champagne and sedatives, then sodomizes her against her will. Youthful error!

Guest Speed Racer

if "he can't get away with it", that means "he should be punished". No?

No! I haven't seen anyone outright say that. I think people dislike the fact that he raped a 13 year-old, but no one is saying, "Punish him again!" Re-read the posts people wrote.

44 year old man gives 13 year old girl champagne and sedatives, then sodomizes her against her will. Youthful error!

And certainly not anything to do with pedophilia!

Vanity Fair has an interesting piece about Polanski's arrest. "The French, in particular, are constantly baffled at the Puritanical fervor with which the United States pursue men they admire, from Woody Allen to Bill Clinton. Sexual deviance, they seem to believe, is a natural and acceptable side-effect of greatness."

In 2005, Polanski won a libel suit against Vanity Fair after a 2002 article in which "The magazine asserted that Mr. Polanski had groped and sweet-talked a Scandinavian model, promising to 'make another Sharon Tate out of you', in August 1969, while en route to the funeral of Tate, his wife, who had just been murdered along with several friends in California."

Polanski's proclivities were well known.

Ironically Mia Farrow testified in his defense.

I think two of the unfortunate side effects of “greatness” are entitlement and narcissism, and when combined, they tend to lead to the sorts of behaviors exhibited by Polanski. Neither of which should be encouraged or excused - imo.

Edit: That was not a response to you Matt, I was speaking to the French.

I wonder how many French men would excuse or subject themselves to being drugged and then raped by, say, Lou Ferrigno, a person who, at least one time in his life achieved “greatness.”

funny to note that those who treat Polanski of "pedophile" are from the worst political side of our country (extreme right winged - the fascist kind, the ultra national front). Well, they certainly hate Polanski's movies anyway. The way they go from the rape of a teen in attenuating circumstances to straight "pedophelia" is simply disgusting. Polanski isn't a child rapist, and he hasn't done any other rape over more than 30 years. And what kind of rape it was, only him and her know. I for one won't judge, as much as I won't excuse the man either.

This makes absolutely no sense. Are you generalizing that those that think he should be "punished" are extreme right winged fascists? Huh. First time I've been mistaken for a conservative.

He was 44 she was 13. I don't care if she was completely sober...there is no fathomable way a 13 year old has the mental capacity to consent to sex with a 44 year old. No matter when, where, what the circumstances...sex between a 44 year old and a 13 year old is rape. Now, what the appropriate punishment is, if there should be a statue of limitations, had he already served his time, that merits itself for discussion. in my humble opinion anyway.

i think there are a lot of people in this world that have exhibited greatness and have been able to keep it in their pants.

To say that it's a side effect of greatness appears to be a bit of a stretch. I know plenty of people who are't great that engage in "sexual deviance." It may be a side effect of being alive.

or a side effect of the sexuality which we can see everywhere in the media and in our society. What does surprise the French more about the US, is the paradoxe between their society and their puritanism, the latter appearing mainly hypocrite.

or a side effect of the sexuality which we can see everywhere in the media and in our society. What does surprise the French more about the US, is the paradoxe between their society and their puritanism, the latter appearing mainly hypocrite.

There are two reasons the English came to America in the early 17th century - to make money (Virginia) and to build the New Jerusalem (Massachusetts). We have been struggling with that dual identity ever since. Sure, the Pilgrims wanted religious freedom - for themselves from the Church of England, so they could repress themselves and the native population.

No matter when, where, what the circumstances...sex between a 44 year old and a 13 year old is rape.

Disagreed. Anyway, I don't believe the girl was consentent. But I don't believe she "was afraid of him" either.

How a 13 years-old girl should be allowed to follow an adult to his house and pose naked anyway? In my opinion, circumstances count.

The most despicable side of Polanski in this matter is having used his status of celebrity to abuse a teen, along with her parents (who must have trusted him - I wonder if they had ever watched his movies...)

Apart from that, the media are worse again, as the girl herself will attest later. Whatever you say, it's indeed ALL a matter of circumstances.

Polanski was accused and charged with a crime. How circumstance plays into the crime is up to a court of law to decide. That the victim has forgiven him has no bearing on the legal ramifications.

If someone is to blame for the victim having to be dredged through this yet again, I think that responsibility rests squarely on the shoulders of the person who left the country with unfinished legal business.

Disagreed. Anyway, I don't believe the girl was consentent. But I don't believe she "was afraid of him" either.

How a 13 years-old girl should be allowed to follow an adult to his house and pose naked anyway? In my opinion, circumstances count.

The most despicable side of Polanski in this matter is having used his status of celebrity to abuse a teen, along with her parents (who must have trusted him - I wonder if they had ever watched his movies...)

Apart from that, the media are worse again, as the girl herself will attest later. Whatever you say, it's indeed ALL a matter of circumstances.

I am not quite sure how to respond. You are essentially saying it is ok for adults to have sex with children.

Guest Speed Racer

Polanski was accused and charged with a crime. How circumstance plays into the crime is up to a court of law to decide. That the victim has forgiven him has no bearing on the legal ramifications.

If someone is to blame for the victim having to be dredged through this yet again, I think that responsibility rests squarely on the shoulders of the person who left the country with unfinished legal business.

The next time I want to post something, can I PM you a draft for you to edit and shorten? :wub

:cheekkiss

Yeah, there's really nothing else that needs to be said about this, this is spot on.

--Mike

I am not quite sure how to respond. You are essentially saying it is ok for adults to have sex with children.

No kidding. I can't believe people are excusing his behavior. Sure we can debate whether punishment 30 years after the crime was committed makes any sense, but to say that sex between a 44 year old man and a 13 year old girl can be ok depending on "circumstances" is utterly incomprehensible.

And I am FAR from a right-wing religious zealot.

If Polanski had drugged and raped a thirten year old boy this discussion wouldn't be taking place right now because there is no way he would have escaped the country. No plea bargain would ever have been reneged upon because none would ever have been reached. So why is it different because it was a girl?

Hey! I made your signature!