Uncut: Top 150 Albums of the 21st Century

Ugh too syrupy for me.

I'm one of the few people on this board that seem to dig Nirvana, but I think the topic at hand was the list.

White Blood Cells is a pretty weak best of decade imo. Maybe like a #15 or so, but #1 is pushing it.

I'm happy to see at least one Wilco record over Funeral.

Some of their later material might be described as a bit confectionary, but Bandwagonesque ?? I respectfully disagree.

The Arcade Fire simply rode the Pitchfork Bandwagon to some sort of success. Don't get it.

White Stripes, I can respect the asthetic, now I wish Jack White would just go away.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1991?

Teenage Fanclub, for sure. Also...

Fishbone - The Reality of My Surroundings

De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead

That is a terrible fuckin' list.

this may simply be a terrible time for music in general. Some of these albums aren't bad (not that I have heard all of them), but some don't even rank close to the top of some of these artists work. (I had no idea Scritti Politti was still active...)

LouieB

1991 was a good year! Also had: Achtung Baby (U2), Sebadoh III, Soul Cages (Sting), De La Soul Is Dead, Innuendo (Queen), Whatever's Cool With Me (Dinosaur Jr), Leisure (Blur)...

I'd like to add :

Uncle Tupelo - still feel gone

Slint - Spiderland

Matthew Sweet - girlfriend

Velvet Crush - in the presence of greatness

Some of their later material might be described as a bit confectionary, but Bandwagonesque ?? I respectfully disagree.

The Arcade Fire simply rode the Pitchfork Bandwagon to some sort of success. Don't get it.

White Stripes, I can respect the asthetic, now I wish Jack White would just go away.

Fair enough on Teenage Fan Club.

Arcade Fire to me is like really great arrangements of really kind of average songs. "Rebellion (Lies)" and "Wake Up" are the only songs on Funeral that blow me away. If they didn't have all the swirling string arrangements, they'd be another one of many faceless 00s bands imo.

The White Stripes had a great gimmick, and about a half a dozen good songs; that does not a legendary band make.

I would've put Sea Change and 10 New Songs up much higher, but overall this list isn't too bad. Easy Tiger should have made it, but Ryan did ok. Notably omitted (for me) were Mark Knopfler, Paul Simon, Loose Fur, and Golden Smog. Also this year's Iron & Wine release. The Knopfler/Emmylou album was a thousand times better than what Kraus and Plant did (was there even any original material on that?).

:D alright, it's not that bad an album. it just draws attention to itself too much, by being copied, whereas if it hung around at the back somewhere - just doing its thing quietly - i'd not pick on it like this.

As Peter Griffin once said "It insists on itself Lois, it insists on itself".

For 1991 I might have to go with Flyin the Flannel although god help me I do love Nirvana.

ah, but not in the uk. so, there!

. . . maybe if they'd mixed it in mono

Maybe if they mixed it into a cement mixer. That Strokes album is god awful pish. And don't be dissin' Teenage Fanclub....

What's with the Jack White hate in here? The guy is the closest thing we have to a real fucking rock star right now. Shreds on guitar, produces quality albums, even gets behind the drums and makes one of the best albums of the year. You can hate on the schtick or whatever, but the guy knows what he's doing.

I would've put Sea Change and 10 New Songs up much higher, but overall this list isn't too bad. Easy Tiger should have made it, but Ryan did ok. Notably omitted (for me) were Mark Knopfler, Paul Simon, Loose Fur, and Golden Smog. Also this year's Iron & Wine release. The Knopfler/Emmylou album was a thousand times better than what Kraus and Plant did (was there even any original material on that?).

I like this list way better than the P4K list. But I think you're off on wanting Easy Tiger on there, thought that was a pile of crap personally. Would love to see Loose Fur show up on one of these lists.