Olympics in 2016

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Trib suggests Daley's (mis)handling of the public tax issue and the shitty polling all may have contributed:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-2016...

For months, Daley had promised that the Games wouldn't be a burden on Chicago taxpayers, proclaiming he would stick to limited financial guarantees from the city if the Games lost money. But the IOC stood firm in its demand that candidate cities pledge a blanket guarantee for the Games. In June, Daley did an about-face and promised the IOC just such a guarantee, fueling public skepticism that taxpayers would foot the bill if the games became a boondoggle.

That led to a rocky summer, as Chicago 2016 officials launched a public relations campaign to reassure residents that a novel plan of insurance policies would provide nearly fail-safe level of protection against potential losses.

But public support fell and a late-August Tribune/WGN poll found that support for the Games in Chicago had dipped to 47 percent.

Last month, however, Daley convinced the City Council to once again sign off on the financial guarantee. Whether they were caught up in the Olympics fever or didn't want to cross the mayor, aldermen voted 49-0 to endorse Chicago's bid.

It's almost like the world just said "screw you" to the US. Well, world, next time you all need aid after some tsunami or earthquake or fucked up dictator takes a populace for a ride, call up Brazil. They'll help you -- not.

Of course, I don't really feel that way, but I am upset.

Guest Speed Racer

It's almost like the world just said "screw you" to the US.

Someone had to be eliminated first. Would it have been a "screw you" to Japan, Rio or Madrid?

Someone had to be eliminated first. Would it have been a "screw you" to Japan, Rio or Madrid?

Hey, I'm being emotional here. Facts don't enter into it :lol

Guest Speed Racer

I'm really kind of surprised at how angry people are, and how many people think this is some sort of affront to Chicago or the U.S.

From an AP Article:

"I've never really had a disappointment like this," said Ken Rudd, a 33-year-old salesman from Evergreen Park. "This is one of the saddest things I've ever seen."

He has lived a tremendously lucky 33 years.

Guest Speed Racer

After. It'll be on or around December 21st.

WRONG. It will happen during. Think about how cinematic all of that would be. Last I heard, Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay have retained the rights to the apocalypse.

Guest Speed Racer

You think you can thumb your nose at the Mayans just because they're no longer around?

Eh. They'll either come for me now, or 3 years and 3 months from now. No big difference.

Nonetheless, this is a moment which allows the president's detractors to allege waning prestige on the part of his presidency. And it will raise questions about the political advice that he is receiving."

Totally. Obama needs easy layups right now, not political failures. Is Obama already at risk of being labeled a lame duck?

"You have modernized the games without ever dimming the flame of tradition," Mr. Da Silva said, his voice rising. "The opportunity now is to expand the games to new continents. Light the cauldron in a tropical country, in the most beautiful of cities. Send a powerful message to the world that the Olympic Games belong to all people, all continents, and to all humanity."

I have to admit, he's got a point.

I had the pleasure of watching this unfold on CNN in the waiting room while I was waiting to get my new CPAP mask. You would have thought somebody had told the anchor that his grandmother liked to fellate llamas. Dude was a little shocked and indignant and just WENT ON AND ON ABOUT IT.

I read a pretty good history of the modern Olympic games last year. In 1904, the Olympics were supposed to be in Chicago, but St. Louis was still looking for a way to compete with Chicago's Columbian Expo from ten years before. They were organizing their own expo that year, and threatened to hold their own sporting events to compete with the Olympics. The Olympics were still relatively new, didn't feel they could stand up to the competition, and pretty much just gave up and moved them to St. Louis.

I don't know if Chicago had tried again in between then and now, but not a good track record for the city, overall.

My music career is in shambles.

Ha!

Congrats to Rio, I do think they deserved it the most.

:yes

I had the pleasure of watching this unfold on CNN in the waiting room while I was waiting to get my new CPAP mask. You would have thought somebody had told the anchor that his grandmother liked to fellate llamas. Dude was a little shocked and indignant and just WENT ON AND ON ABOUT IT.

Yeah, that was pretty awesome.