Olympics in 2016

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully support Chicago in their efforts.

Guest Speed Racer

:unsure Chicago is whiney and arrogant? I have literally never heard this.

The city has certainly engaged in more than its share of chest-puffing. :lol

Washington Post reporting that fewer than half of Chicago residents want the city to host. I don't doubt that all of them are thinking about traffic, at least a little bit. Christ, my 10-mile commute was 45 minutes - and that's only on days that Moses showed up to part the Eisenhower; I can't imagine what it would be like with the Olympics.

The city has certainly engaged in more than its share of chest-puffing. :lol

Washington Post reporting that fewer than half of Chicago residents want the city to host. I don't doubt that all of them are thinking about traffic, at least a little bit. Christ, my 10-mile commute was 45 minutes - and that's only on days that Moses showed up to part the Eisenhower; I can't imagine what it would be like with the Olympics.

I think it's more due to the fact that the taxpayers would be expected to foot the bill if the Olympics lost money - this was a huge sticking point, but a necessity with the IOC to even keep our bid alive.

Guest Speed Racer

I think it's more due to the fact that the taxpayers would be expected to foot the bill if the Olympics lost money - this was a huge sticking point, but a necessity with the IOC to even keep our bid alive.

Wow. Didn't know that - that, plus traffic, and if I was still living there I can say with assurance there's no way in hell I'd support the Olypmics in Chicago.

Edited to add: Traffic really stresses me out. Parking, specifically, but general congestion as well.

Broken link.

Can't figure out why the link isn't working, but the gist of it is below:

Early exit stuns Chicago

Chicago has been eliminated from Olympic balloting in the early rounds of voting by the International Olympic Committee, a stunningly swift defeat for the U.S. bid personally pitched by President Barack Obama.

Oy vey.

from the BBC:

BBC News' Adam Brookes in Chicago: "The shock of Chicago's elimination was greater for the fact that it came in the first round. And greater for the fact that President Obama had taken valuable hours from his packed and tense political schedule to travel to Copenhagen. His legendary powers of persuasion will be said to have failed him, though in reality it will be Chicago's bid that failed him. Nonetheless, this is a moment which allows the president's detractors to allege waning prestige on the part of his presidency. And it will raise questions about the political advice that he is receiving."

Guest Speed Racer

I was wondering what Obama was risking on that trip. In my opinion, that might be the worst speech he has delivered as President. And he should have known better than to go up against a cute 89 year-old.

Do you think we were a little overconfident? I'm relatively certain Obama wouldn't have booked the trip had he not been assured it was going to be a slam-dunk, and a lot of things he, Michelle and Oprah said seemed to reek of overconfidence.

Do you think we were a little overconfident? I'm relatively certain Obama wouldn't have booked the trip had he not been assured it was going to be a slam-dunk, and a lot of things he, Michelle and Oprah said seemed to reek of overconfidence.

That has to be humbling for Oprah and Obama...maybe it is a good thing?