You And I

I finally heard "You and I" on our AAA radio station over the weekend. The station had been playing "You Never Know" prior to that.

Now I want to say that this post isn't about the musical merits of the song, but just a statement on the topic of pushing a single.

From the first time I heard "You and I" I thought this was easily the best shot at a big single since "Outtasite/Outtamind". Once again, in the context of what works on radio. I think the song is super catchy, easily digestable lyrically, and has the whole w/Feist aspect for the indie kids to get excited about.

Unfortunately, I don't see any overt signs of the band or label or mgmt pushing this thing, despite releasing to AAA and doing one tv show with the song.

Cmon boys, go for it. I would love to see this band have something relatively big on their hands. You know a Weezer "Islands In The Sun" type of level. Anyway, 2 cents on this.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

"Island in the Sun" confirmed my suspicions that Weezer post-Pinkerton deserves to be censored indefinitely.

That being said, I hear "You & I" on the radio here every time I listen to the radio - about every other day.

God, I hope not. Picking one of your worst songs ever and pushing it as a single is a terrible idea.

I guess you missed the part about not focusing on the merits of the song. Just whether it is single material?

I also realized I screwed up in my earlier post. I personally think that "I'm A Wheel" and "Nothingsevergoingtostandinourwayagain" were sure fire hits. I mean why is "Nothings..." not a theme song for a TV show?

Guest Runaway Jim

I guess you missed the part about not focusing on the merits of the song. Just whether it is single material?

Oh no, I get it. I just don't want an amazing band like Wilco to push a shit song as a single just to have a single.

Guest Speed Racer

I personally think that "I'm A Wheel" and "Nothingsevergoingtostandinourwayagain" were sure fire hits. I mean why is "Nothings..." not a theme song for a TV show?

In 2004-2005 I heard "I'm a Wheel" every time I turned on the radio - about every other day.

You have to license songs for TV shows, and something tells me a show with that theme song would suck donkey balls, which might be why Wilco never got behind that. Also, they were still on Warner at the time and Warner cared as much about promoting Wilco as they did about promoting the clap.

RJ's right - it has nothing to do with the merits of the song, but pushing a weak song as a single is still a lousy idea. I love You & I, and I love hearing it on the radio more than YKN, and I think that BBN, I'll Fight or W(TS) would have been a better single.

Oh no, I get it. I just don't want an amazing band like Wilco to push a shit song as a single just to have a single.

Which is, humorously enough, why the "Island in the Sun" comaprison was a slam-dunk. :lol

I think this is interesting. I know the world has changed and the idea of pushing a single with your A & R guy leading the way and buying off DJ's is likely old school, but I think anyone responsible for the marketing of Wilco who is listening to Wilco (The Album) would push "BBN" to college radio and modern rock and push "You and I" to everywhere else.

And the whole idea of pushing the best/most creative/stunning artistic vs. the most eligible to get a large amount of folk interested is not what pushing a single is about. Did Neil Young release "Heart of Gold" or "Cimmanon Girl" as initial singles or did he release "Man Needs A Maid" and "Losing End"? You know my poorly analogized point.

Guest Speed Racer

"Island" is primarily an overexposure issue. When I was in high school I would get up at 5am in the summer to have breakfast before my run, and I would watch music videos (back when they played them). "Island" would show up at least twice during VH1's two-hour rotation between 5am - 7am the WHOLE summer, and I just associate the song with Shredded Wheat-related heartburn and training runs.

Guest Speed Racer

I think this is interesting. I know the world has changed and the idea of pushing a single with your A & R guy leading the way and buying off DJ's is likely old school, but I think anyone responsible for the marketing of Wilco who is listening to Wilco (The Album) would push "BBN" to college radio and modern rock and push "You and I" to everywhere else.

I think they are pushing Y&I and YKN quite heavily. Like I said, I hear Y&I quite frequently, and occasionally hear YKN. I heard IAW all the time when they were promoting AGIB and HMD when YHF came out. A lot depends on location, clearly (Minneapolis is very Wilco-friendly), but there is a noticable (100%) increase in exposure since they signed to Nonesuch.

Not a knock on the song, but what "category" would You And I fit in as a single-- adult contemporary? :unsure

I'm pretty out of the loop, I suppose singles are mainly iTunes based now. Wilco hardly ever gets played on commercial radio in Canada. So it's hard for me to see how they can score and in what channel. Unless Dixie Chicks cover Country Disappeared, now that could go places. lol

I think they are pushing Y&I and YKN quite heavily. Like I said, I hear Y&I quite frequently, and occasionally hear YKN. I heard IAW all the time when they were promoting AGIB and HMD when YHF came out. A lot depends on location, clearly (Minneapolis is very Wilco-friendly), but there is a noticable (100%) increase in exposure since they signed to Nonesuch.

Yeah, some of it is location. Our local AAA here in Columbia MO have played the following since I moved here in 2000: Secret of The Sea, Heavy Metal Drummer, Jesus Etc (briefly), The Late Greats, What Light, You Never Know, You and I.

I never heard I'm a Wheel. Anyway, I'm not sure what I'm even asking for, other than not just letting this album float away in terms of opportunity. I think Wilco has missed opportunity for some singles, or maybe they would have caught on if they were single material? Who know.

And the whole idea of pushing the best/most creative/stunning artistic vs. the most eligible to get a large amount of folk interested is not what pushing a single is about. Did Neil Young release "Heart of Gold" or "Cimmanon Girl" as initial singles or did he release "Man Needs A Maid" and "Losing End"? You know my poorly analogized point.

Wow, I never thought I'd see someone suggest that "Losing End" was a better song than "Cinnamon Girl." It gets my vote too, though.

This got me thinking again. What has Wilco released to radio? Outside of Chicago. What have you guys heard in regular rotation. Here is my list of what I believe are the offically promoted singles.

1. Box Full of Letters Official Single

2. Outta Site (Outta Mind) Official Single

3. California Stars Official Promo Single

4. Can't Stand It Official Single

5. A Shot In The Arm Official Single

6. Secrets Of The Sea Regular Radio Play

7. Heavy Metal Drummer Regular Radio Play

8. War On War Official Single

9. The Late Greats Regular Radio Play

10. I'm A Wheel Regular Radio Play(according to Speed Racer)

11. What Light Official Single

12. You Never Know Official Single

13. You And I Regular Radio Play

It seems Monday and I Got You should be on there, but I can't confirm either.

Get it right: "Island In The Sun" was/is great - "Beverly Hills" is shitty(est) Weezer ever song.

What he said. Islands is a great song, as well as many other songs from The Green album...

"Beverly Hills" signaled the end of Weezer for me.. It's been all down hill from there.

This got me thinking again. What has Wilco released to radio? Outside of Chicago. What have you guys heard in regular rotation. Here is my list of what I believe are the offically promoted singles.

1. Box Full of Letters Official Single

2. Outta Site (Outta Mind) Official Single

3. California Stars Official Promo Single

4. Can't Stand It Official Single

5. A Shot In The Arm Official Single

6. Secrets Of The Sea Regular Radio Play

7. Heavy Metal Drummer Regular Radio Play

8. War On War Official Single

9. The Late Greats Regular Radio Play

10. I'm A Wheel Regular Radio Play(according to Speed Racer)

11. What Light Official Single

12. You Never Know Official Single

13. You And I Regular Radio Play

It seems Monday and I Got You should be on there, but I can't confirm either.

Walken got a lot of play.

Guest Speed Racer

I have never heard a Wilco song played on the radio...

Shows how much I listen to the radio I guess..

In college I would listen to the radio for forty minutes on Tuesday mornings and for two twenty-minute chunks on weekday afternoons in the locker room. Still heard Wilco nearly daily. Now I listen to it in my girlfriend's car, and hear them every other day.

"Beverly Hills" signaled the end of Weezer for me.. It's been all down hill from there.

Everything post-Pinkerton sounds more like a Weezer-influenced band than Weezer itself.

I have never heard a Wilco song played on the radio...

Shows how much I listen to the radio I guess..

I rarely listen myself. You are missing nothing, unless you have a sweet college station in town, which we do in Columbia.

was Jesus Etc ever played in normal rotation?

Everything post-Pinkerton sounds more like a Weezer-influenced band than Weezer itself.

Exactly. Weezer has become a novelty of themselves.. Although Green had some good tunes, and even Maladroit was a decent record. But still, post Pinkerton Weezer, Rivers just lost his edge..

Guest Speed Racer

I don't think I've ever been as disappointed with a new album as I was with Weezer's Green.

My poor 15 year-old self was crushed when I heard the Nutrisweet pile of slop that was Rhett Miller's (second) debut solo album. It's a wonder that poor man has since shown his face in public - not to mention released several more solo albums.

But I was young and naive then.