You And I

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't like it at all. That's all.

Not to poke at you, but you have hit one of my hot points.

Everything doesn't have to be either the greatest/best ever or the worst/shit.

The internet leads to intensification of opinions because of the impersonal nature of the medium and, thusly, renders all opinions meaningless. We no longer have context nor perspective.

I get more out of the statement 'I just don't like it at all. That's all' than the 'shit song'.

Of course, I started a firestorm a month or so ago point this out in a much more pointed manner.

Well, isn't it the "shit song" to him?

Circular talk.

We are a real world,living example of Idiocracy here. Everything is either 'KICKASS' or it 'SUCKS DONKEY DONG'.

Guest Speed Racer

Circular talk.

We are a real world,living example of Idiocracy here. Everything is either 'KICKASS' or it 'SUCKS DONKEY DONG'.

I can only hope I could be so concise.

This is a discussion board, where people should be free to be as brief or formal as they like. As far as I'm concerned, my standards extend no further than the Rules & Regs. If someone says "your opinion is shit," I take offense, but if they say "'You & I' is the shit song," that's fine by me.

Guest Runaway Jim

The internet leads to intensification of opinions because of the impersonal nature of the medium and, thusly, renders all opinions meaningless. We no longer have context nor perspective.

That might be true, very true in fact, but my expressed opinion of the song was not intensified. I just really don't like "You and I". It's easily my least favorite Wilco song. So in the context of Wilco's catalog, "You and I" is shit to me.

And so when someone starts a thread about wanting Wilco to push "Deeper Down" as a single, I'll be sure to note that I think that's an "ok song", and not one that they should push as a single.

Semantics.

I got a grin at this coming from you.

We reach brother.

Oh, I'm going to call this how I see it. I think the internet does allow bomb throwing without consequence, but in terms of the music, I think this outspoken loathing of "You and I" is pure indie rock credibility crap.

This is the same crap that causes people to completely discredit Kings of Leon because they have achieved wide ranging success. (has the actual music really changed that much between their first record and the last?????)

This is of course seen in all genres. I'm by no means a heavy metal guru but I found the outcry quite silly when Metallica released the Black Album. Is It wrong that they just created an album that had actual quality songs?????

I think "You and I" appears to easy or obvious to indie hipsters and therefore has to be written off as having some sinister motive of "wanting to be heard". Oh God!

The same group that yells sellout when Wilco pushes their music on Volkswagon commericials because God knows with all the exposure from radio Wilco is just being spoon fed to the masses?

The ironic thing, is because I listen to what people consider not mainstream music, I'm accused of being a snob about this, but I could care less if Avett Brothers or Death Cab sign to a major label or not, I could care less what song is promoted on what commercial or tv show, or what album hits it big or not. I care about if I like the music.

All that being said, I like "You and I". I love singing along to it. I love the duet, I love how Feist's timing is off. I think it is catchy. I'm a dad, so what does that make me __________________________?

Guest Speed Racer

Oh, I'm going to call this how I see it. I think the internet does allow bomb throwing without consequence, but in terms of the music, I think this outspoken loathing of "You and I" is pure indie rock credibility crap.

Some people just don't like it. It's that simple. I love it, but I can see how the song can grate - it's very Mr. Rogers, and some people want a little more out of their Wilco than that.

Trying to speak for someone else is dangerously close to telling someone their opinion is wrong, and I don't care for that at all.

Some people just don't like it. It's that simple. I love it, but I can see how the song can grate - it's very Mr. Rogers, and some people want a little more out of their Wilco than that.

Trying to speak for someone else is dangerously close to telling someone their opinion is wrong, and I don't care for that at all.

Speed Racer, you always challenge me about stating that someone's opinion is wrong (maybe that should tell me something). I'm not telling anyone anything, except my view on this. Of course my statement doesn't hold true for 100% of posters on Via Chicago, but we all know what I'm talking about. I think this last Wilco record has drawn the line in the sand with this arguement. It isn't like someone saying, "I don't like Grizzly Bear, it just doesn't do anything for me". I think most could see both sides of that coin. I think Tweedy said it best when he joked about how offensive You and I is to some people. He was making fun of those who feel that way because you have to go out of your way to really dislike that song. I think that seems obvious. It is like hating pizza or honda civics or the vacation movies.

To paraphrase H. L. Menken, I respect people's opinions about music, but only in the sense and to the extent that I respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart

Guest Speed Racer

Speed Racer, you always challenge me about stating that someone's opinion is wrong (maybe that should tell me something).

I do, because I think you do. I think you do it in a roundabout way, though; you'll never tell someone to their face, but you'll respond to someone's opinion with, "Some people think...and that is pure indie rock credibility crap." Same thing.

I think Tweedy said it best when he joked about how offensive You and I is to some people. He was making fun of those who feel that way because you have to go out of your way to really dislike that song. I think that seems obvious. It is like hating pizza or honda civics or the vacation movies.

Who on earth likes vacation movies? Some people just don't like Wilco serving up pop - they aren't offended by the song (though I am offended by Leave Me Like You Found Me). It has nothing to do with indie credibility, just what people want from the band. I can get good pop anywhere, but I can only get Wilco from Wilco.

I do, because I think you do. I think you do it in a roundabout way, though; you'll never tell someone to their face, but you'll respond to someone's opinion with, "Some people think...and that is pure indie rock credibility crap." Same thing.

Who on earth likes vacation movies? Some people just don't like Wilco serving up pop - they aren't offended by the song (though I am offended by Leave Me Like You Found Me). It has nothing to do with indie credibility, just what people want from the band. I can get good pop anywhere, but I can only get Wilco from Wilco.

Not vacation movies, The Vacation Movies. (I hope that makes a difference for you).

As far as the opinion thing, I don't know, I'm not feeling like I'm being roundabout. I'm actually trying to clearly and in a straightforward way, say I hear your opinion and I question the motives. That is all. I'm serious, I just had a brother in law tell me how much crap KOL are now. That opinion is not rooted in any objective reality. The music hasn't changed, just the popularity and album sales. That is my point. Now if you truly "hate" or think You and I "sucks", "worst song ever" etc, cool. Good luck with that. (not you speed racer, you said you like it, to those who made those statements.)

Guest Speed Racer

Not vacation movies, The Vacation Movies. (I hope that makes a difference for you).

It does. I can't stand them myself (not a Chevy Chase fan), but it helps to make my point.

I'm actually trying to clearly and in a straightforward way, say I hear your opinion and I question the motives. That is all.

Then you should say that directly to the person: RJ, I question your motives. Not "some people..." That's what's roundabout.

Why do you care what someone's motives are? What do you stand to gain?

It does. I can't stand them myself (not a Chevy Chase fan), but it helps to make my point.

Then you should say that directly to the person: RJ, I question your motives. Not "some people..." That's what's roundabout.

Why do you care what someone's motives are? What do you stand to gain?

What do I stand to gain? I'm interested in what makes us tick. Why one person can hear something one way and another be completely on the other side. I like to explore and debate these differences, and I think bullshit gets in the way of having a real conversation about it. What does anyone gain from You and I sucks?

I'd rather someone say, like you did, that I can get simple pop from anywhere. And I would ask did the Beatles ever make simple pop songs, do those songs suck? Does "In My Life" suck? That's just an example of a real conversation that can never take place if we just say no it's crap.

Guest Runaway Jim

I don't have any negative opinion of anyone that likes "You and I". We all like what we like.

I just don't like it.

Now, they should release "One Wing" as a single because it's possibly their best song post-YHF. How's that for intensification???

P.S. - ain't a god damn thing cooler than being a dad.

I don't have any negative opinion of anyone that likes "You and I". We all like what we like.

I just don't like it.

Now, they should release "One Wing" as a single because it's possibly their best song post-YHF. How's that for intensification???

P.S. - ain't a god damn thing cooler than being a dad.

I think "One Wing" is awesome, and I'm not trying to say people can't not like "you and I " (that would be weird and stupid). And I was baiting someone to call me a dad rocker :dontgetit