A Treasure Trove of Tunes

It seems that there is so much music being made and I know we all have our favorites. There is no way that some people won't get sadly overlooked as time passes. Do you ever think about what obscure/overlooked/underappreicated musicians/bands/artists you would love to turn someone on to. You know, like when you first discovered Nick Drake or Big Star back in the day.

I think I would love to hand my son the complete Hayden discography one day.

or the first 4 or 5 Richard Buckner records.

There are some albums I often go back to that I don't here much about:

Arc Angels - Arc Angels

Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson

Dada - Puzzle

Robin Trower - Victims of the Fury

Maybe Robin Trower would be my choice for an underappreciated artist.

My son is 14 months old. I get to turn him on to EVERYTHING. Fuck yeah.

Word of caution if this is your first child: No matter how cool your musical tastes and record collection are, your son will prefer sing a longs with Barney or Elmo.

I swear the other night I was playing trains with my son who is almost three and we were within two feet of my vinyl record collection (hundreds of unbelievable records) and we were listening to Barney on cassette. Now do I get the father of the year award for not questioning this madness?

"I love you, you love me, we're best friends like friends should be............. :stunned

I loved the Sand Rubies, previously known as the Sidewinders. The self-titled Sand Rubies album is one I go back to again and again.

I saw the Sand Rubies open for the Jayhawks on the Hollywood Town Hall tour in '93. By then I think they'd begun to unravel and had a replacement bassist and drummer, but they were still great. Their brief reunion in the late '90s produced another pretty respectable album. They put another record out in 2007, but I've neglected to pick it up so far (inspired by this thread, I'm now looking for ways to order it).

Solid musicianship, including some serious Neil Young-inspired guitar, and great dusky vocals.

Word of caution if this is your first child: No matter how cool your musical tastes and record collection are, your son will prefer sing a longs with Barney or Elmo.

haha yeah I know. I was kidding (mostly). I just had a particularly weird moment this weekend. We were playing with a puzzle in his room and I had Freewheelin' playing on the small boombox in his room, and I was thinking, this is the first time you are listening to Masters of War. I am sure he was thinking that his diaper was dirty or something.

haha yeah I know. I was kidding (mostly). I just had a particularly weird moment this weekend. We were playing with a puzzle in his room and I had Freewheelin' playing on the small boombox in his room, and I was thinking, this is the first time you are listening to Masters of War. I am sure he was thinking that his diaper was dirty or something.

My son cracks me up with the non kids songs he gets into. He really got into a Chris Knight song about trains that came on the radio on Sunday. He also loves singing "Wilco loves you baby!" Cool kid. It is cute, every time he hears me singing along in the car to a song he asks, "Wilco Daddy?" I say "No, Conor Oberst, No Flaming Lips, No Fruit Bats, etc" I always wonder if he thinks these band names are weird.

I think that I have broached this subject before.

But, because I'm not shy...

Joe Pisapia - Daydreams

Shrimp Boat - Cavale

Jim Ford - The Sounds of Our Time

Brinsley Schwarz - Silver Pistol

Tom Zé - Estuano a Samba

Happy Ashtray - Big Apple

Dolly Varden - Mouthful of Lies

Falstaff - Falstaff

and probably a shitton of others that I wrote about elsewhere that I forgot here.

including, you know...

Hop On Pop - As Drawn By Ethan, Age 2

;)

Shrimp Boat - Cavale

[...]

Dolly Varden - Mouthful of Lies

I have Duende by Shrimp Boat and The Dumbest Magnets by Dolly Varden. Perhaps I ought to explore other corners of those bands' catalogs.

It seems that there is so much music being made and I know we all have our favorites. There is no way that some people won't get sadly overlooked as time passes. Do you ever think about what obscure/overlooked/underappreicated musicians/bands/artists you would love to turn someone on to. You know, like when you first discovered Nick Drake or Big Star back in the day.

I think I would love to hand my son the complete Hayden discography one day.

or the first 4 or 5 Richard Buckner records.

My (almost 4yr old) son's name is Hayden, he loves seeing his name on CDs.

He has really cool taste so far, his favorite songs are "White Winter Hymnal" by Fleet Foxes, and "Is There a Ghost in My House" by Band of Horses.

I agree, no matter what he's exposed to now, he will probably grow to think my music taste so lame.

I have turned a few friends & my little brother on to Wilco.

And I exchange CDs with a friend at work, I think we've both discovered some great stuff that way.

i could do w/ an education program solely dedicated to New Zealand artists...

The Bats

Verlaines

The Chills

The Clean

Goblin Mix

Bird Nest Roys

Able Tasmans

Straitjacket Fits

Split Enz

Peter Jefferies

Graeme Jefferies

Alastair Galbraith

Terminals

Roy Montgomery

Gordons

Bailter Space

King Loser

Sneaky Feelings

so many amazingly good bands that came out of that tiny island nation in the years '81 to '91

i could do w/ an education program solely dedicated to New Zealand artists...

The Bats

Verlaines

The Chills

The Clean

Goblin Mix

Bird Nest Roys

Able Tasmans

Straitjacket Fits

Split Enz

Peter Jefferies

Graeme Jefferies

Alastair Galbraith

Terminals

Roy Montgomery

Gordons

Bailter Space

King Loser

Sneaky Feelings

so many amazingly good bands that came out of that tiny island nation in the years '81 to '91

dont forget Crowded House, from the ashes of Split Enz

Speaking of bands from the southern hemisphere, I've long been a fan of Icecream Hands. It's a shame they never developed a following in North America.

Hoodoo Gurus, too.

I have Duende by Shrimp Boat and The Dumbest Magnets by Dolly Varden. Perhaps I ought to explore other corners of those bands' catalogs.

Both are similiar to the other albums mentioned. Both are equally good IMHO.

LouieB

The Wonder Stuff - Never Loved Elvis

If only for "Size of a Cow" and "Welcome to the Cheap Seats".