Time

Pigs

Dogs

Wish You Were Here

Another Brick in the Wall Part II

Have a Cigar

Echoes

Fat Old Sun

Dogs is a masterpiece of guitar work. Comfortable Numb gets all the attention (deservedly so), but Dogs is Dave's best work.

Dogs is a masterpiece of guitar work. Comfortable Numb gets all the attention (deservedly so), but Dogs is Dave's best work.

Yup.

Prince solo was very good, but not the best ever.

If we're talking technical mastery of the instrument, Nels still wins out to me:

But on the whole, my theory of guitar soloing can be summed up with this story between SRV and BB King:

SRV got the chance to play with BB King, one of his idols, for obvious reasons. SRV was nervous, but when BB King came up there and played, SRV made it rain. Going crazy and everything, fiery passion and whatnot. Obviously talented, and all. But when it came BB's turn to solo, he played one note. Ping! And everyone laughed, because everyone knew in one note, the idol had shown up the idolizer.

I am a believer in brevity when it comes to guitar soloing...I have no patience for sheer wankery.

If we're talking technical mastery of the instrument, Nels still wins out to me:

But on the whole, my theory of guitar soloing can be summed up with this story between SRV and BB King:

SRV got the chance to play with BB King, one of his idols, for obvious reasons. SRV was nervous, but when BB King came up there and played, SRV made it rain. Going crazy and everything, fiery passion and whatnot. Obviously talented, and all. But when it came BB's turn to solo, he played one note. Ping! And everyone laughed, because everyone knew in one note, the idol had shown up the idolizer.

I am a believer in brevity when it comes to guitar soloing...I have no patience for sheer wankery.

Cite the source

The B.B. playing one note and blowing someone off the stage story has been around forever with various happless guitarist being on the losing end. I'm sure it's been true on occasion. I would still rather here SRV who could also play with quiet restraint when necessary. I do get the point about some guitarists overplaying but then again I think overplaying is sometimes called for in songs.

The B.B. playing one note and blowing someone off the stage story has been around forever with various happless guitarist being on the losing end. I'm sure it's been true on occasion. I would still rather here SRV who could also play with quiet restraint when necessary. I do get the point about some guitarists overplaying but then again I think overplaying is sometimes called for in songs.

B. B.'s chief virtue is his longevity. It has always been Freddie then Albert then B.B. when talking about the King of the blues.

B. B.'s chief virtue is his longevity. It has always been Freddie then Albert then B.B. when talking about the King of the blues.

While I love all those fellows, I am gonna have to disagree: Robert Johnson = King of the Blues.

There's a somewhat similar story about Clifford Brown and Miles Davis playing My Funny Valentine. Brown blew people away with technical prowess, but the Miles took the stage and played with fiery emotion and left Brown in the ashes. I'm not sure if either story is true, they both sound apocryphal. I bet Louie knows the truth of the Brown/Davis story.

While I love all those fellows, I am gonna have to disagree: Robert Johnson = King of the Blues.

Yup.

Dude...(B.B.) KING, (Albert)KING, (Freddie)KING

This ain't rocket science... :lol