The thing that's always puzzled me is the Immaculate Conception is on my birthday (Dec. 8), and yet it only took 17 days after that for the baby J to be born.

Someone please explain this to me.

The thing that's always puzzled me is the Immaculate Conception is on my birthday (Dec. 8), and yet it only took 17 days after that for the baby J to be born.

The Immaculate Conception actually refers to Mary being conceived without any original sin. Thank you 9 years of Catholic school!

Well the Orthodox church celebrates Christmas in January. I don't think anyone really has the date or even the year pinned down.

greeks and macedonians are both Orthodox, but the greeks celelbrate on december 25, whereas we wait til Jan 7th - what gives?!?!

greeks and macedonians are both Orthodox, but the greeks celelbrate on december 25, whereas we wait til Jan 7th - what gives?!?!

Greeks converted from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar late, and moved the holiday accordingly. The others converted to the Gregorian calendar, but kept the holidays on the old days post conversion...

immaculate conception is when mary was conceived. (by her mother), and like ikol said, refers to her being born without original sin.

when she became magically pregnant is called the annunciation which is supposed to be march 25th i'm pretty sure, which lands nicely at somewhere between 39 and 40 weeks before december 25th.

Honestly I think the church just made up a bunch of dates and myths to match them. No way a lady gets pregnant without doin' it. Y'all are suckers.

Edit: This is Good Old Neon.

immaculate conception is when mary was conceived. (by her mother), and like ikol said, refers to her being born without original sin.

when she became magically pregnant is called the annunciation which is supposed to be march 25th i'm pretty sure, which lands nicely at somewhere between 39 and 40 weeks before december 25th.

Many thanks to both you & Ikol - I honestly did not know this. I was baptised Catholic, but I've never spent a day in the Catholic Church that didn't involve a wedding or a funeral.

Greeks converted from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar late, and moved the holiday accordingly. The others converted to the Gregorian calendar, but kept the holidays on the old days post conversion...

its cool being macedonian orthodox - at easter, the eggs are cheaper, and at christmas, we can use the boxing day sales for cheaper presents!! :dancing

Honestly I think the church just made up a bunch of dates and myths to match them. No way a lady gets pregnant without doin' it. Y'all are suckers.

I always thought the whole thing came about due to a conversation between Mary and Joseph:

Mary: "So it looks like I'm pregnant! Isn't that exciting?"

Joseph: "But you and I never did it yet."

Mary: "Right, it was that other guy."

Joseph: "So you cheated on me??"

Mary: "Yes... no... I mean... it wasn't just any old guy... it was... uh... um... God.. yeah, that's it... it was God Himself. So it's not like I had any choice in the matter. I mean, when the Supreme Being wants to have a child, you pretty much have to go with the flow."

Joseph: "Of course! That explains everything. Sorry for doubting you for a minute there."