NPR: 10 Albums You're Too Cool to Like

Okay, so it's a flawed list (what isn't?) and maybe even a flawed concept for true music geeks, like most of us. (I don't think that I would ever qualify as a "hipster," and I doubt that many of us do.) But it's still kinda fun.

Here's the link: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121226486&sc=nl&cc=progserv-20091220

No, no — the headline's not referring to you. Heaven forbid. But someone like you listens to a lot of cool and/or unusual music, and refuses to sample the good stuff right under his or her nose because it's "mainstream." Lots of hipsters know about the very latest bands, having scoured the Web for the newest undiscovered thing, but are coiled to backlash as soon as others "get it." And, while the music world needs hipsters to help others find new stuff, it's best not to think them omniscient — after all, there's lots of great music they're too cool to notice.

Okay, so it's a flawed list (what isn't?) and maybe even a flawed concept for true music geeks, like most of us. (I don't think that I would ever qualify as a "hipster," and I doubt that many of us do.) But it's still kinda fun.

Here's the link: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121226486&sc=nl&cc=progserv-20091220

The Danny Balis record is SUBLIME. It sounds vital, yet harkens back to the days of the two Hanks (Williams and Snow).

Danny Balis

I'll have to try that Danny Balis album. Never heard of him. I do like the Willie album as well at the Pearl Jam. The Rhett Miller I have had since it came out but don't think I've listened all the way through as of yet. I'll have to try and give that a shot now that new releases have slowed a bit.

Guest Speed Racer

Rhett Miller solo albums are an abomination in the eyes of god. It has nothing to do with hipsters or hip-factors. These albums aren't "uncool," they are purely and simply terrible.

Rhett Miller solo albums are an abomination in the eyes of god. It has nothing to do with hipsters or hip-factors. These albums aren't "uncool," they are purely and simply terrible.

There are some great songs on the Instigator. The Believer was not good. Haven't heard the newest one yet, but I did just recently order it. Old 97s music has provided me with so much, that I figure buying his solo work, even if it isn't great is worth it.

Did "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" make this list?

Rhett's new one is the most blah I've ever felt about any of his work. The Believer was pretty bad but it got worse with this album I think. Every single chorus of every single song involves him shouting the word "love."

I understand most of his songs are about heartbreak, but yikes. Switch it up a LITTLE.

he's funny as hell...love the between-song stage banter. definitely see him live if you get the chance.

I think I fell in love with Har Mar when he said to the snotty teenage girl standing with her back to the stage in the front row while he was playing, "Turn the fuck around or leave. I'm working up here. I don't go to your job and slap the dick out of your mouth." It was kind of mean-spirited, not altogether original, but still funny as hell. Then he walked over to and on top of the bar where he did shots. It may sound awful reading this, but it was really entertaining seeing it unfold in person. I had no idea what he was going to do next. It was wonderful.

"Turn the fuck around or leave. I'm working up here. I don't go to your job and slap the dick out of your mouth."

And people complain when Jeff politely asks them to put away their camera phones. Look at how much restraint he's showing!

Rhett's new one is the most blah I've ever felt about any of his work. The Believer was pretty bad but it got worse with this album I think. Every single chorus of every single song involves him shouting the word "love."

I understand most of his songs are about heartbreak, but yikes. Switch it up a LITTLE.

I call bullshit on Rhett Miller's heartbreak. He is too cute not to be swimming in tail.

I call bullshit on Rhett Miller's heartbreak. He is too cute not to be swimming in tail.

And the same goes for Aimee Mann.

checked out that danny ballis album today. wow. how'd that one slip through for me?

Danny is REALLY talented. He has been a part of several Top notch Dallas bands (The Sparrows, Sorta) that slipped through the cracks.

The unfortunate death of Carter Albrecht tore the heart out of Sorta just when it looked like they might have a chance to break in a major way. Check out Carter Albrecht...it is worth a listen. And you'll understand a lot of where Danny's songs come from.