Vampire Weekend - "Contra"

i just realized...

Horchata = The Rugrats Theme

ha! it is kinda similar.

i'm liking the album. they'll always be a band for me that i can throw on and not have to think a lot about it. there's a place for that.

ps - you can say what you want about the Paul Simon comparisons, but his voice is getting kind of similar to Paul's on this newest record. Musically not as much, but Ezra's voice is taking on that very 'soft' quality Paul's has always had to me.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And quit with the Paul Simon comparison -- there's about 100,000 South African records that also sound like Paul Simon. It a style of music.

for what it's worth, paul simon sounds like about 100,000 South African records. Although I always hear more west african on his stuff on Graceland.

you can say what you want about the Paul Simon comparisons, but his voice is getting kind of similar to Paul's on this newest record. Musically not as much, but Ezra's voice is taking on that very 'soft' quality Paul's has always had to me.

I completely agree. I don't think it's an unfair comparison either. If you have to be compared to someone, you could do worse than Paul Simon. The soft, easy going quality of their voices is very pleasant...in a good way.

i don't like this record

Same here. Someone should start a thread about bands you used to love, but now hate... I wore out their first record and now I can't stand to listen to it... I put in Contra and I'm just not feeling it.. I think they tried to be a little more adventurous on this album but it backfired. The autotune is what really did it for me.

Same here. Someone should start a thread about bands you used to love, but now hate... I wore out their first record and now I can't stand to listen to it... I put in Contra and I'm just not feeling it.. I think they tried to be a little more adventurous on this album but it backfired. The autotune is what really did for me.

i think the auto tune is only on one song..

i gotta say... hate the band all you want, but i watched their Unplugged on Palladia over the weekend... (i've seen them live a few times before tho too) and they are pretty impeccable musicians. That and Ezra's voice seems to never really waiver at all (now whether or not you dig his voice is another story).

i gotta say... hate the band all you want, but i watched their Unplugged on Palladia over the weekend... (i've seen them live a few times before tho too) and they are pretty impeccable musicians. That and Ezra's voice seems to never really waiver at all (now whether or not you dig his voice is another story).

I never said I hated VW, but I just wore out the first album and now can't stand to listen to it. And Contra is kind of a disappointment.

I'd like to see that unplugged. Playing unplugged really brings out the true musicianship in a band. A lot can be masked by loud drums and distortion.

I like horchata too, well the drink, not the song....which is sorta stupid.

LouieB

the song has been described as stupid and lame. for some reason, i like it.

i think the unplugged show was quite good and am excited to see them in concert for the first time in a few months.