Vampire Weekend - "Contra"

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the first album but think the new stuff is absolutely horrid. "Horchata" made me cringe the first time I heard it and, much like "Beverly Hills" by Weezer did, it only multiplies every time I heard it.

None of those songs would even scratch the first album IMO.

Guest Speed Racer

I sent my dad their first LP because of its Graceland-y vibes, and I imagine he'll be getting the second for his birthday. My sister and I have been sending him contemporary music for a few years now and it's so refreshing to get picked up from the airport to She & Him instead of the local smooth jazz station.

They played two unreleased songs when I saw them in June of 08, and only one made it onto the album. I really liked the other one, but I can't remember anything about it, except that I think it made a 50 Cent reference.

I loved the first album but think the new stuff is absolutely horrid. "Horchata" made me cringe the first time I heard it and, much like "Beverly Hills" by Weezer did, it only multiplies every time I heard it.

None of those songs would even scratch the first album IMO.

I Think UR A Contra is up there w/ their best songs, but besides that there's def not any singles on here as good as A-Punk, Oxford Comma, or I Stand Corrected. it's a much more refined and less frantic record than the first, so there's no doubt that the youthful energy is lacking more than on the first.

Horchata is lame, as is California English, but other than that i dig the record for the most part. solid 7.5/10 or so, but def not as great as the debut. more cohesive of a listen though...

I sent my dad their first LP because of its Graceland-y vibes

Listening now. They still sound like a band who formed out of a classified ad that read "Band Members Needed. Is Paul Simon's Graceland the only album you've ever heard? If yes, call now."

I listened to the first single once and liked it.

If it's on sale first week I'll probably get it.

I was over saturated by them when the self-titled came out, so I didn't buy it until early last year and then liked it quite a bit.

Then again, I used gift card money on it so it was like a family member bought it instead of me so there was less of a standard I guess.

I wasn't crazy about the first record but this just seems like a rehash, as someone else said it is a little more refined but I don't know if thats for the better.

Guest Speed Racer

Listening now. They still sound like a band who formed out of a classified ad that read "Band Members Needed. Is Paul Simon's Graceland the only album you've ever heard? If yes, call now."

I know, right? My dad could listen to W(TA) or SBS and think, "This is that crazy music Lauren likes," but he hears Vampire Weekend and thinks, "Ooooh, here are some smart kids who know good music!" Truly the daddiest dad rock I've ever heard.

I Think UR A Contra is up there w/ their best songs...

That song really stands out on this album. A great ethereal quality and some beautiful vocals. I'm a sucker for piano, too, so that helps this song. That and "Giving Up the Gun" sound wonderful to my ears.

I know, right? My dad could listen to W(TA) or SBS and think, "This is that crazy music Lauren likes," but he hears Vampire Weekend and thinks, "Ooooh, here are some smart kids who know good music!" Truly the daddiest dad rock I've ever heard.

Hey, I'm a Dad and I like Rock.. Does that make me a Dad Rocker?? :P

That's a wee bit of a simplification or simply quite wrong. There's a definite Afro-pop influence in some songs but there's also a lot more going on. They definitely have a sound unlike anyone else just now.

That's a wee bit of a simplification or simply quite wrong. There's a definite Afro-pop influence in some songs but there's also a lot more going on. They definitely have a sound unlike anyone else just now.

I agree it is an unfair criticism, but I think part of the comparison also comes from the lead singer's voice. He just sounds a lot like Paul Simon to me, especially Graceland Paul Simon.

If I were Vampire Weekend I would just be happy people keep comparing me to a classic album like Graceland.

I agree it is an unfair criticism, but I think part of the comparison also comes from the lead singer's voice. He just sounds a lot like Paul Simon to me, especially Graceland Paul Simon.

If I were Vampire Weekend I would just be happy people keep comparing me to a classic album like Graceland.

Must be my day to be contrary: stuck Paul Simon on. No reasonable similarity ( I mean Paul Simon is so distinctive). :) Agreed: nice to be compared on a classic on your debut. I like this new one but think that a la Franz Ferdinand or the Strokes, the second one may pale in public and critical response to the first.

not exactly... Fool's Gold sound fairly similar, but take the afro-pop influence a bit further.