Vampire Weekend - "Contra"

Listening now. They still sound like a band who formed out of a classified ad that read "Band Members Needed. Is Paul Simon's Graceland the only album you've ever heard? If yes, call now."

:cheekkiss

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be my day to be contrary: stuck Paul Simon on. No reasonable similarity ( I mean Paul Simon is so distinctive). :)

I think maybe it's just the soft, effortless and easy delivery. I think about "Crazy Love, Vol. II" from "Graceland" and to me that sounds like a delivery that is similar to what the guy in VW is doing. And maybe I'm delusional!

:lol

That's a wee bit of a simplification or simply quite wrong. There's a definite Afro-pop influence in some songs but there's also a lot more going on. They definitely have a sound unlike anyone else just now.

Do you know the album Graceland? Every second of any VW song brings some touch of Graceland to mind.

I agree it is an unfair criticism, but I think part of the comparison also comes from the lead singer's voice. He just sounds a lot like Paul Simon to me, especially Graceland Paul Simon.

If I were Vampire Weekend I would just be happy people keep comparing me to a classic album like Graceland.

Me too, I love Graceland. I said it because it's what they sound like to me.

I really like it.

Best album of 2010...

...(so far)

out of what records? lol.

Beach House - Teen Dream is the best album of 2010 so far for me by far. guessing it gets a pretty insanely high score on Pitchfork next week.

out of what records? lol.

Beach House - Teen Dream is the best album of 2010 so far for me by far. guessing it gets a pretty insanely high score on Pitchfork next week.

Yeah, where is the best records of 2010 thread? laugh.gif

I have only heard one song from the Beach House and I am really looking forward to the rest.

The Eels and Spoon are the only 2010 albums I have heard and I love both of them. Could be a good year for music.

so far my fave records from this year are Beach House (way way out front), Retribution Gospel Choir, Title Tracks, and Eels.

i like Transference a lot, but i don't love the entire record yet like i do those other 4.

so far my fave records from this year are Beach House (way way out front), Retribution Gospel Choir, Title Tracks, and Eels.

Is Beach House readily available (in other words, leaked), or do you need to be Kyle basically to get your hands on it? :music

• 2 weeks later...

I love this record. I love these guys. Nobody is writing or playing music like this. Musically they are way way advanced.

And quit with the Paul Simon comparison -- there's about 100,000 South African records that also sound like Paul Simon. It a style of music.

I love this record. I love these guys. Nobody is writing or playing music like this. Musically they are way way advanced.

And quit with the Paul Simon comparison -- there's about 100,000 South African records that also sound like Paul Simon. It a style of music.

It's just the easy thing to do. I have a buddy who compares everything to Counting Crows or Pearl Jam, basically because that's all he knows.

I agree about the album. I like it better than the debut, actually.

The debut, for me, had some really good songs, particularly the first 4 tracks, but eventually grew tiresome due to very repetitive and boring arrangements. Not only do I like the songs on this record more, but each track has its own identity and is interesting production-wise. A winner in this first part of the year.

in what ways are they musically advanced?

i think i don't care for tracks 4 or 8.

the Auto-Tune is pointless on 4 and 8 is too overtly radio poppy for my tastes.

2 starts off really cool but i kinda hate that super high girlish (unless this is actually

a girl guest singer and not Ezra) bit in the chorus.

Holy shit, there's auto-tune on it? There is just NO END to their suckitude, is there?