if you could eliminate 1 musical act/artist

I'm going to step in here and defend OutKast, because Stankonia is a pretty flawless record, top 10 of the previous decade for me.

:thumbup

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I choose Phil Collins, would that also eliminate Genesis?

Just specify -- Phil Collins the Singer, not Phil Collins the Drummer. That way, we still get Peter Gabrial Genesis and the good post PG Genesis -- everything up to Invisible Touch, although Domino is a good song.

My vote -- Steely Dan.

Steely Dan = Satan

phil sang the HELL out of supper's ready on the 1978 tour

his vocals from like 1976-80 were every bit as good on the gabriel material as gabriel

and steurmer could play circles around hackett!!

phil singing afterglow was the fucking SHIT ... amazing singer

In defense of Phil Collins -- I did see Geneis on the reunion Tour and it was pretty damn good -- a very even balance between old and new ..even Tonight Tonigth Tonight kicked ass. And there was no crap Genesis (e.g. Land of Confusion, Illegal Alien.)

Completly agree about Afterglow.

In defense of Phil Collins -- I did see Geneis on the reunion Tour and it was pretty damn good -- a very even balance between old and new ..even Tonight Tonigth Tonight kicked ass. And there was no crap Genesis (e.g. Land of Confusion, Illegal Alien.)

Completly agree about Afterglow.

Genesis played Land of Confusion whenI saw them on the reunion tour. I think they played it every night. Home by the Sea was a highlight for me at the show!

Since Wilco covered a Steely Dan song for a soundtrack, does that make 'em Satan worshippers? :shifty

(personally I love Steely Dan)

I apologize for being critical of the Dark Lord.

I guess I can add this the list of the many things JT and I would disagree on .. I hate diet coke, prefer a clean shaven man, and think Steely Dan grew from the depths of hell. ..

I can't think of anyone that I'd want to eliminate.

At the risk of sounding pompous, they've all added something to the cannon of popular song.

Of course, I could live without ever hearing Barry Manilow ever again.

At the risk of sounding pompous, they've all added something to the cannon of popular song.

Need a backbone to post in this thread. As Stalin once observed, "When you chop wood, chips fly." And if you really wanted to sound pompous, you would know the difference between a cannon you shoot with and a canon you take shots at.:cheekkiss

Need a backbone to post in this thread. As Stalin once observed, "When you chop wood, chips fly." And if you really wanted to sound pompous, you would know the difference between a cannon you shoot with and a canon you take shots at.:cheekkiss

Or something.

I tend not to proofread my internet message board posts too closely. It's most-likely the death of the written word as an artform, but... fuck it.

Also, I am serious.

I cannot think of any artist that I would want completely eliminated; I just turn off the radio or whatever.

Or something.

I tend not to proofread my internet message board posts too closely. It's most-likely the death of the written word as an artform, but... fuck it.

Also, I am serious.

I cannot think of any artist that I would want completely eliminated; I just turn off the radio or whatever.

Well, you have just eliminated yourself from the "Who Gets Kicked Out of the Lifeboat" committee.

Okay...

(*grows balls*)

Garth Brooks

damn, I hate that guy.

And

2 Live Crew

UGH!!!

I could easily say anything "New Country".

Tim McGraw, Rascall Flatts, Brooks & Dunn, Toby Keith, Garth Brooks. Toss the whole lot of 'em. But that's like picking on people who are mentally challanged and physically disabled. It's too easy.

Therefore, my vote goes to Def Leppard (speaking of physically disabled with their one armed drummer). I'd like to pour so much sugar on them that they suffocate.

I could easily say anything "New Country".

Tim McGraw, Rascall Flatts, Brooks & Dunn, Toby Keith, Garth Brooks. Toss the whole lot of 'em. But that's like picking on people who are mentally challanged and physically disabled. It's too easy.

Therefore, my vote goes to Def Leppard (speaking of physically disabled with their one armed drummer). I'd like to poor so much sugar on them that they suffocate.

NOOOO!!!!!!!

THIS:

c33511kk8d2.jpg

is a perfect record!

And THIS:

h29649khcg3.jpg

Is one of the best of the '00s. Just too much fun!

And, actually, that second one goes to show that they are really not a "heavy metal" band, no matter how much they were marketed as one by the label in the 80's. They're a glam rock band, plain and simple. And, damn they're good.

(Although I will get on-board with you for your hate of "Pour Some Sugar On Me" and all of Hysteria, actually. Blech.)

NOOOO!!!!!!!

THIS:

c33511kk8d2.jpg

is a perfect record!

And THIS:

h29649khcg3.jpg

Is one of the best of the '00s. Just too much fun!

And, actually, that second one goes to show that they are really not a "heavy metal" band, no matter how much they were marketed as one by the label in the 80's. They're a glam rock band, plain and simple. And, damn they're good.

(Although I will get on-board with you for your hate of "Pour Some Sugar On Me" and all of Hysteria, actually. Blech.)

Todd - I thought Pyromania was great too. In 1983, when I was 12. But now, I think the only Def Leppard song I might be able to stomach is 'Too Late For Love'.

This is what makes music great. It is all about what YOU like.

Todd - I thought Pyromania was great too. In 1983, when I was 12. But now, I think the only Def Leppard song I might be able to stomach is 'Too Late For Love'.

This is what makes music great. It is all about what YOU like.

I agree.

But, have you heard that second album that I mentioned?

It's a covers record that is beyond great.

I had stopped listening to Def Leppard a long time ago, too. (You and I are about the same age.) But I heard their version of "Waterloo Sunset" while flipping stations one night, without knowing who it was. And I was blown away.

That record is, very simply, a great rock band playing great songs, with a lot of love.

Here's the AllMusic (4.5-star) review:

h29649khcg3.jpg

Def Leppard always had a streak of glam running beneath their heavy rock -- listen to "Armageddon It" or "Photograph" for proof -- so it's no surprise that when the quintet decided to record a covers album in 2006, they devoted it to the '70s glam and hard rock that inspired them to pick up their guitars and play. What does come as a surprise is that the resulting Yeah! is a sheer delight, a roaring rock & roll record that's their best album since Hysteria. Often, cover albums get bogged down in reverence or ambition, as artists either offer interpretations that are straight copies or fussy reinterpretations as they busily try to make a favorite song their own. That's not the case here. Def Leppard alternate between fairly faithful renditions of familiar classics like T. Rex's "20th Century Boy," Badfinger's "No Matter What," or David Essex's "Rock On," to subtle reinterpretations where they make seemingly difficult covers seem easy and unmistakably Def Leppard. It's true on their streamlined, muscular take on Electric Light Orchestra's swirling, psychedelic "10538 Overture," but it's most notable on their remarkable reworking of the Kinks' "Waterloo Sunset," which now sounds like a power ballad from Hysteria without ever once sounding like it's an affront to the immortal original. This take on "Waterloo Sunset" works because it's informed by a palpable love of the original, and that love is apparent throughout this terrific record. But there are plenty of good covers albums that are fun merely because the band is having a good time. What makes Yeah! exceptional is that Def Leppard is reconnecting with the reason why they're even in a band by playing the rock & roll that inspired them in the first place. They're reinvigorated by this material, and by playing these songs, it's easier to appreciate what makes Def Leppard a great rock & roll band. Compare their versions of Free's "A Little Bit of Love" or Thin Lizzy's "Don't Believe a Word" to the originals -- they're not as big and bluesy as Free, but the huge riff that drives the song is a direct forefather of Leppard's powerful signature sound, and "Don't Believe a Word" hammers home that few bands built on Lizzy's twin guitar harmonies as well as this group did. But it's not just that these covers put Leppard's music in context; it's that they sound more like a genuine rock & roll gang than they ever have: listen to the truly raw take on the Faces' "Stay with Me," which may not be quite as sloppy as the original (how could it be?), but it's equally greasy and riveting -- plus, it's sung with raw gusto by guitarist Phil Collen, whose turn on the mic emphasizes that this is a sound of a true group. They still sound like Def Leppard -- there are still cavernous drums, huge guitars, and driving harmonies -- but they no longer sound as slick and calculated as they did on their albums after Hysteria; they sound alive and vigorous, making a convincing case that they're now their own best producers. If they could carry this sound and feel onto an album of originals, they would have a killer record, but saying that diminishes the accomplishment of Yeah!. It's a killer record in its own right, and more pure fun than anything yet released in 2006. Few bands could achieve an artistic comeback via a covers album, but as this glorious record proves, there are few bands like Def Leppard.

:rock :rock :rock

1 20th Century Boy Bolan 3:40

2 Rock On Essex 2:53

3 Hanging on the Telephone Lee 2:22

4 Waterloo Sunset Davies 3:38

5 Hell Raiser Chapman, Chinn 3:19

6 10538 Overture Lynne 4:30

7 Street Life Ferry 3:26

8 Drive-In Saturday Bowie 4:07

9 Little Bit of Love Fraser, Kirke, Kossoff ... 2:33

10 The Golden Age of Rock 'N' Roll Hunter 3:28

11 No Matter What Ham 2:51

12 He's Gonna Step on You Again Demetriou, Kongos 4:04

13 Don't Believe a Word Lynott 2:19

14 Stay with Me Stewart, Wood 4:30

If you ever loved the band, this is well-worth checking out.

The guys have great taste in music, and they play the hell out of these songs!

I agree.

But, have you heard that second album that I mentioned?

It's a covers record that is beyond great.

I had stopped listening to Def Leppard a long time ago, too. (You and I are about the same age.) But I heard their version of "Waterloo Sunset" while flipping stations one night, without knowing who it was. And I was blown away.

That record is, very simply, a great rock band playing great songs, with a lot of love.

Here's the AllMusic (4.5-star) review:

h29649khcg3.jpg

:rock :rock :rock

1 20th Century Boy Bolan 3:40

2 Rock On Essex 2:53

3 Hanging on the Telephone Lee 2:22

4 Waterloo Sunset Davies 3:38

5 Hell Raiser Chapman, Chinn 3:19

6 10538 Overture Lynne 4:30

7 Street Life Ferry 3:26

8 Drive-In Saturday Bowie 4:07

9 Little Bit of Love Fraser, Kirke, Kossoff ... 2:33

10 The Golden Age of Rock 'N' Roll Hunter 3:28

11 No Matter What Ham 2:51

12 He's Gonna Step on You Again Demetriou, Kongos 4:04

13 Don't Believe a Word Lynott 2:19

14 Stay with Me Stewart, Wood 4:30

If you ever loved the band, this is well-worth checking out.

The guys have great taste in music, and they play the hell out of these songs!

I haven't heard it. But, the track list surprises me a great deal. I'll check it out.

There's a great deal of truth in this. I mean, come up with something that is cheesy, crass, corny, manufactured, manipulative, or plastic and I'll show you a timeless classic from the '70s that tugs at your heartstrings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOiKa51ll-k&feature=related

Come on they were Awesome!!! :rock :rock :rock

Springsteen

Even though I love him, Dylan. Just to shake things up to see how things turned out and to ruffle some feathers. No so much as a let's get rid of a bad musical act, but more of like an experimentation a la "It's A Wonderful Life."

Modern? John Mayer.

But if I had to pick one artist that offended me the most in my whole life time, it would be Collective Soul. I still twitch whenever any of their songs come on the radio, and "Gel" is my least favorite song of all time.