if you could eliminate 1 musical act/artist

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uncle Tupelo

Just kidding, few I was a bit afraid to even type that. Honest answer is something along the lines of Snoop Dogg, NWA, Tupac. I LOVE hip hop, but those guys have inspired a lot of crappy music. Also, I have a problem with the fact that kids looked up to these guys has heroes in some regard

and wait 'til Ellen (Wilco Worshipper) sees this request!

Hey NOW! I NEVER said I LIKED the song! I just happen to know a work out routine that goes to it and since I work at a 50's diner, I get to hear it just about EVERY time I work! LUCKY ME!!! :dancing

This is tough because all bands I know well enough to have a strong negative opinion of were at least great at one point in time (U2, REM, GnR, etc.).

Whoever suggested American Idol was on the right track, I think. Not necessarily for anything musical, but if it wasn't for that show we would never have had to endure Simon Cowell, Ryan Seacreast, or the unholy return of Paula Abdul!

I'm curious about how old you are. The 80s popular music landscape was absolutely dreadful. The underground scene was incredible. But otherwise it was horrible synth-pop, hair metal, and glossy "R&B" with no real soul. U2 is an incredibly arrogant group, to be sure and have other weaknesses, but to claim that the musical landscape of the past and present would not be worse off is way off base, I think.

I'm 34. And I'm obviously in the polar opposite place to yourself when it comes to appreciating U2. As far as 80s music goes, I've always seen U2 as part of the problem that perpetuated how bad popular sounds were back then.

Now I understand that U2 bring a lot of joy and happiness to a lot of people, but so too does heroin, and that deserves elimination also.

You were a little young for proper perspective on the '80s, but I won't hold that against you.

U2 were a breath of fresh air back then. In the midst of synthpop dominance, they were a guitar band. Sure, Bono could be a bit much to take, even then, but U2 in the '80s was about the best thing going ... at least of the stuff that made it onto the airwaves and MTV.

Guest Runaway Jim

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Phish yet. But I'm sure someone will soon enough.

Me too. If my girlfriend posted here, I'm sure she would. :(

Seems people would rather do away with The Dead, partly in hope that bands like Phish would never come around later.

I stick by my vote for U2. Aside from how annoying Bono is, I just find them so musically boring.

And Cat Stevens too. One fatwa, coming up!

You were a little young for proper perspective on the '80s, but I won't hold that against you.

U2 were a breath of fresh air back then. In the midst of synthpop dominance, they were a guitar band. Sure, Bono could be a bit much to take, even then, but U2 in the '80s was about the best thing going ... at least of the stuff that made it onto the airwaves and MTV.

Hey, let's not be cruel on the 80s, my dislike of U2 goes far beyond that decade.