if you could eliminate 1 musical act/artist

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

I was going to give a hearty vote to the Eagles, but now I'm thinking that everything U2 has done since Rattle and Hum - hell, maybe even Joshua Tree - undoes all the good they may have done to the '80s soundscape. So I'll vote for them. The Eagles are far more benign in their scope of influence, so I'd happily eradicate the still-viable threat.

Guest Speed Racer

If anyone who voted for U2 can sit through U23D and still feel the same way, then good Lord.

Is there music by the band U2 in U23D? If so, then I imagine it would be a cakewalk to come out of it with the same vote.

Is there music by the band U2 in U23D? If so, then I imagine it would be a cakewalk to come out of it with the same vote.

If you liked them at some point (which it seems you did), then not enjoying the film would be an outrageous display of stubbornness. Hating for hating's sake.

I was going to give a hearty vote to the Eagles, but now I'm thinking that everything U2 has done since Rattle and Hum - hell, maybe even Joshua Tree - undoes all the good they may have done to the '80s soundscape. So I'll vote for them. The Eagles are far more benign in their scope of influence, so I'd happily eradicate the still-viable threat.

The Eagles are kind of bland and crappy, but probably not worth getting thrown out of a taxi cab over.

Guest Speed Racer

If you liked them at some point (which it seems you did), then not enjoying the film would be an outrageous display of stubbornness. Hating for hating's sake.

Oh no, I have never enjoyed their music, not one single song, but I do acknowledge that their first several records were good - not anything I enjoyed or wanted to listen to, but I can understand why one might praise them. And then they just became a parody of themselves. A giant, philanthropic, obscenely awful parody of themselves. I would have been happy if, in 1994 or so, Bono resigned from music and dedicated himself to philanthropy, a la Bill Gates.

Dylan weighs in:

2614426839_e1cc4be046.jpg

Jesus, I want to punch Mr. Dylan in the face in that picture. He looks like such a tremendous dick.

Also, this thread is ridiculous. You can't tell me honestly that The Eagles, U2, Phish, the Grateful Dead, and James Taylor are worse than, say, the Insane Clown Posse.

OK... I'm not gonna wish anyone away, because that's just plain arrogance and kind of mean, BUT, I've always thought that there should be one day a year that no radio station in the world would be allowed to play Fleetwood Mac. Imagine that!

Similar to the Phil Collins/Genesis situation. If you got rid of Fleetwood Mac (I making an assumption that you are referring to the Fleetwood Mac that existed from the mid-seventies onward) you would be getting rid of the Peter Green era 'Mac' as well and classic songs such as 'Oh Well', 'Black Magic Woman', 'Albatross' and 'Man of the World'...and you shouldn't do that.

On the Phil Collins debate, irrespective of the Genesis issue (I couldn't live without 'Lamb' or 'Foxtrot'), he has put out some good stuff over the years. There is alot of trash but his first two albums are great....and you would be getting rid of 'Easy Lover' which is another classic pop song. I could live without Sussuddeo or what ever it was!!

Bottom line on Phil Collins is simple. He was the drummer and backing singer on 'Supper's Ready'. 'Suppers' Ready' is the most awe-inspiring, spine-tinglingly song that has ever existing. Therefore, don't get rid of Phil Collins. Thanks.

Pop and Achtung Baby are possibly some of my favorite albums of all time. It boggles my mind how someone would not appreciate these albums in the scape of all U2 has released over time.

My top 5 U2 Albums

Achtung

Pop

Unforgettable Fire

War

October

Seconded.

Not so much for the Dead's music itself, about which I'm mostly ambivalent, but for all the jam-band idiots that music inspired. If it's even remotely possible that erasing the Dead from history could spare us from the jam-band genre altogether, then I say, off with their heads.

Most of all the "Jam band"run-off from the GD never sees the light of day on radio/tv. Unless you're mistakenly going to shows of music you don't like I don't see the harm the jam bands cause the folks who don't dig them. It's not like they're commercial shills that you see and hear every time you turn a corner.

Jesus, I want to punch Mr. Dylan in the face in that picture. He looks like such a tremendous dick.

Also, this thread is ridiculous. You can't tell me honestly that The Eagles, U2, Phish, the Grateful Dead, and James Taylor are worse than, say, the Insane Clown Posse.

Some people are allowed to do and be whatever they want, no matter how much of a dick they may appear to be. Bob Dylan is one of them.

U2 really really should have thrown in the album-making towel after Achtung. Everything (pretty much, I am thinking of "Walk On" and "Elevation" as exceptions) since has just eroded their greatness.

This.

I mean c'mon. Some jagoff is going to list the Beatles any minute, I just know it!

Eliminating The Association would eliminate my wedding first dance song: "Never my Love"

Eliminating U2 would eliminate the first concert I went to (Unforgettable Fire tour in the Minneapolis Armory, opener: Red Rocket) as well as one of my favorite Johnny Cash songs The Wanderer, as well as one of my favorite Pavarotti cameos - Miss Sarajevo.

Elimating The Doors would eliminate my go-to karaoke song: LA Woman

Eliminating Insane Clown Posse would have no effect on my musical universe. I've never heard anything by them and am only vaguely aware of them due to guest spots on the Howard Stern show.

I maintain my vote for Big & Rich, if only for the way they pronounce "Cit-tay"

Guest Speed Racer

Oh, this has nothing to do with who deserves to be eradicated from history, this is about who you would choose to eliminate if given the choice. Having never heard a single song by Insane Clown Posse, they haven't done that much to offend me; having been assaulted by "Beautiful Day" and the rest of that forsaken album at every track and cross country meet for nearly a decade, not to mention to and from meets and every day of the week between meets, U2 is the only reasonable choice for me to pick.

Bottom line on Phil Collins is simple. He was the drummer and backing singer on 'Supper's Ready'. 'Suppers' Ready' is the most awe-inspiring, spine-tinglingly song that has ever existing. Therefore, don't get rid of Phil Collins. Thanks.

"A FLOWER??"

(how about Phil's vocals on More Fool Me?)

Most of all the "Jam band"run-off from the GD never sees the light of day on radio/tv. Unless you're mistakenly going to shows of music you don't like I don't see the harm the jam bands cause the folks who don't dig them. It's not like they're commercial shills that you see and hear every time you turn a corner.

every once in a while i get within minimum nasal distance of a fan. that's basis enough.