And now, some shocking news

Book 'Game Change' portrays Sarah Palin as unstable ignoramus who believed Saddam was behind 9/11

BY Helen Kennedy

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

The gossipy new campaign book that has the political world buzzing portrays Sarah Palin not just as an ignoramus who believed Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11 but also as possibly mentally unstable.

"Game Change," the 2008 deconstruction, says the stress of vaulting onto the national stage caused Palin to have wild mood swings.

"One minute, Palin would be her perky self; the next she would fall into a strange blue funk," the authors write.

The morning of her ill-fated CBS interview with Katie Couric, Palin - "her eyes glassy and dead" - was unresponsive to attempts to prep her as she was being made up.

"As they were about to set off to meet Couric, Palin announced 'I hate this makeup' - smearing it off her face, messing up her hair, complaining she looked fat," the book relates.

Palin went on to give answers to Couric that were so incoherent the interview permanently damaged her.

Palin went into a tailspin. She stopped eating or sleeping, and drank only a half a can of diet soda a day, recounts the book written by John Heilemann of New York magazine and Mark Halperin of Time magazine.

"When her aides tried to quiz her she would routinely shut down - chin on her chest, arms folded, eyes cast to the floor, speechless and motionless, lost in what those around her described as a kind of catatonic stupor," the book says.

"If I had known everything I know now, I would not have done this," the book quotes Palin as saying.

She talked often about her baby, Trig, who spent most of the time in Alaska, and some John McCain aides thought she might be suffering postpartum depression.

When the campaign took her to Arizona to prep for the veep debate, McCain's staff made sure a doctor friend was on hand "to observe her," the book says.

Palin's spokeswoman Meg Stapleton has dismissed the book's allegations as inaccurate gossip from people who weren't there.

"The governor's descriptions of these events are found in her book, 'Going Rogue.' Her descriptions are accurate," Stapleton said in a statement Sunday night to 60 Minutes." "She was there. These reporters were not."

"Game Change," which features priceless images like Rudy Giuliani, John McCain and Mike Huckabee in a line at a pre-debate urinal, making fun of the absent Mitt Romney - also up contains many other revelations:

The book says aides feared Bill Clinton was jeopardizing his wife's run by having an affair in 2006. The book says a trio of Hillary's top aides formed "a war room within a war room" to counter gossip about her husband and were able to discount all philandering rumors but one.

"The stories about one woman were more concrete, and after some discreet fact-finding, the group concluded that they were true: that Bill was indeed having an affair - and not a frivolous one-night stand but a sustained romantic relationship," the book says.

They braced for a press frenzy that never came.

The book, which was based on interviews with dozens of anonymous staffers, does not name the woman or provide any details.

The Clintons did not comment.

- During the heated early weeks of 2008, Bill Clinton helped sink his wife's chances for a key endorsement from Ted Kennedy by belittling Barack Obama as nothing but a race-based candidate.

"A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee," the former president told the liberal lion.

The book says Kennedy was deeply offended and it helped convince him to go ahead with his pass-the-torch endorsement of Obama, a pivotal campaign moment.

The ex-prez reportedly griped bitterly, "the only reason you are endorsing him is because he's black. Let's just be clear."

The revelations are guaranteed to reopen the 2008 racial wounds that had been scabbing over amid Clinton's post-election public silence and his wife's high marks as Secretary of State.

- McCain's aides were convinced his wife was cheating on him and forced him to confront her.

- John Edwards' affair with a videographer was an open secret among his aides, three of whom quietly quit the campaign early on. He is described as crass and delusional, demanding first the veep slot and later imagining Obama would make him Attorney General in exchange for his endorsement.

- The book tears down cancer-striken Elizabeth Edwards' popular public persona, calling her a woman who was scornful to her "intellectually inferior" husband and described by insiders as "an abusive, intrusive, paranoid condescending crazywoman."

The day the National Enquirer exposed Edwards' affair, she fought with him publicly and tore open her blouse to reveal her lumpectomy. "Look at me!? she wailed at John and then staggered, nearly falling to the ground," the book recounts.

The book has already caused Democratic Senate Leader Harry Reid to apologize to Obama - he is quoted as praising him for having "no Negro dialect unless he wanted to have one."

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I might actually buy this one in hardcover.

I bet she is laughing all the way to the bank:

Sarah Palin takes Fox News commentator job

By RACHEL D'ORO, Associated Press Writer Rachel D'oro, Associated Press Writer – Tue Jan 12, 9:04 am ET

ANCHORAGE, Alaska – Sarah Palin, former Alaska governor and 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate, will return to her broadcast roots and take her conservative message to Fox News as a regular commentator, the cable channel announced Monday.

"I am thrilled to be joining the great talent and management team at Fox News," Palin said in a statement posted on the network's Web site. "It's wonderful to be part of a place that so values fair and balanced news."

Fox said that according to the multiyear deal, Palin will offer political commentary and analysis on the cable channel, as well as Fox's Web site, radio network and business cable channel.

She also will host occasional episodes of Fox News' "Real American Stories," a series debuting this year that the network said will feature true inspirational stories about Americans who have overcome adversity.

"Governor Palin has captivated everyone on both sides of the political spectrum and we are excited to add her dynamic voice to the FOX News lineup," Bill Shine, executive vice president of programming, said in a statement.

The News Corp.-owned network declined to say when Palin will start or how much she is being paid. Also unclear is how the arrangement will work, whether Palin will move to New York or commute from Alaska. Company representatives did not respond to calls seeking comment and Palin's spokeswoman, Meghan Stapleton, did not respond to e-mails seeking comment.

Palin, 45, is hugely popular with conservatives and has more than 1.1 million Facebook followers.

She stepped down as Alaska governor in July, 17 months before the end of her first term in office and less than a year after she vaulted to overnight fame as John McCain's running mate.

The bombshell resignation stunned even supporters and fueled widespread speculation on her next career step — with predictions ranging from seeking the presidency in 2012 to hosting a conservative talk show. She told Barbara Walters in November that a 2012 presidential bid was not on her radar but added she wouldn't rule out playing some kind of role in the next presidential election.

Since resigning, Palin has had colossal success with her best-selling memoir "Going Rogue," released four months after she left office. She finished a nationwide tour in December after hitting some of the political battleground states from the 2008 election and drawing thousands of fans.

If she were to seek the presidency, her new job would provide yet another stage from which to advance her conservative platform. Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who sought the presidency in 2008, also hosts a talk show on Fox News and hasn't ruled out another run for president.

Palin majored in journalism with an emphasis on broadcasting at the University of Idaho and worked part-time as a weekend sportscaster in 1988 for KTUU-TV in Anchorage. She wasn't married at the time and used her maiden name Heath. The station's sports director, John Carpenter, said the young broadcaster left after a few months because of the low pay.

Carpenter said he was sorry to see her go. She was a hard worker who enjoyed the entire process, not just being in front of the cameras, he said.

"She knew sports, she could talk sports, she looked OK on TV," Carpenter said. "She had the aptitude, no question."

Palin's upcoming commentary career had her Facebook fans giddy with excitement Monday.

"Tell 'em like it is girl!!!!!!," one person wrote on a post.

"I look forward to seeing you on Fox....but I hope it doesn't prevent you from running in '12!," another wrote.

Ever try laughing all the way to the bank? Not easy.

First hand knowledge? ;)

One thing Sarah Palin probably doesn't have to worry about for the rest of her life is money. If she's smart (if....) she'll just take advantage of her fame, work a few hours a week for fox, reap the proceeds of her book, and go fishing. Not a bad life.

And how much is she getting paid for this one:

Palin to address alcohol industry event in Las VegasPosted: January 12th, 2010 06:07 PM ET
From CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby
art.palinmoney.gi.jpg Palin will speak to the Wine and Liquor Wholesalers of America in April.corner_wire_BL.gifWashington (CNN) – Las Vegas and alcohol probably aren't the first two things that come to mind at the mention of Sarah Palin, but the former vice presidential candidate is about to change that.

At least that's according to Craig Wolf, the president and CEO of the Wine and Liquor Wholesalers of America, who announced Tuesday that Palin will keynote the group's annual convention and and expo in Las Vegas in early April.

"Governor Palin is a great supporter of America's free enterprise system and understands that industries like the beverage alcohol industry play a key role in driving our national economy. We're proud and honored to welcome her as a speaker," Wolf said in a statement. "We expect she will share with the convention attendees her analysis of the current political environment and her vision for America's future."

Man, I might actually buy this one in hardcover.

This does sound like a great gossipy book, although I think I will wait for the paperback.

It is amazing that out of all this stuff, the story that has traction is the one about Harry Reid using the word Negro. Strange that the one story that actually makes some sense, even though Reid's choice of words was somewhat not-PC, actually relected reality, whereas the rest of these clowns, on both sides of the political fence, are ones we really need to be fightened about.

LouieB

That, Louie, is a product of the media being in "Gotcha!" mode. We know it's wrong, but we can't stop ourselves from doing it, as it is so much easier than doing actual research-based and fact-laden journalism.

I think I saw them dudes in line at the bank, right behind Vampire Weekend.

No - but I know some dudes who use to rob banks.

I wonder how much the Fox Network is paying her?

I bet they are going to get big numbers off of whatever she does there.

The people who want her to run in the next election are nuts.

This book was featured on last Sunday's 60 Minutes. Fascinating.

One of McCain's campaign dudes said that they had to start from square one with Palin and basically teach her everything about the last 100 years of U.S. history. She was a blank slate.

Here's the link to that Steve Schmidt interview on 60 Mintues. Incredible:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6078906n&tag=api

Palin didn't know anything about WWI and WWII, was too stupid to understand why there was a North Korea and a South Korea. In debate prep she kept calling Joe Biden 'Sentor OBiden", confusing him with Obama. That's why she asked Biden if she could "call him Joe", something that seemed like a crafty maneuver at the time but was really due to the fact that the woman is mentally challenged.

Also priceless were the McCain operatives who openly considered asking McCain to implore Palin to step down if he won the election, for the good of the country. The very people who picked her were the ones most mortified at her becoming VP. Unbelievable.

This does sound like a great gossipy book, although I think I will wait for the paperback.

A little bit too heavy on the gossip, IMO. My impression from what's been released so far is that it's a lot of stuff from anonymous sources. That's fine in small doses, but I don't think I could take an entire book that's sourced like that.

What Schmidt said on 60 mins resonates much more with me because at least he's willing to stand behind his version of the story. Other "insiders" of the various campaigns who've aired their dirty laundry for this book should take notice.

Great thread, Bjornicus! :cheers

Man, has this book been getting the attention or what? It seems like all the pundits can't stop talking about it

You know, there are a number of folks on this board that I respect that have pretty conservative views, but I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that really is an unabashed Palin fan (thank God). I never thought I'd ever live to see a politician that makes Dan Quayle look like a genius, but there ya go. Sarah Palin - the gold standard for idiocy in government.

The book says aides feared Bill Clinton was jeopardizing his wife's run by having an affair in 2006. The book says a trio of Hillary's top aides formed "a war room within a war room" to counter gossip about her husband and were able to discount all philandering rumors but one.

"The stories about one woman were more concrete, and after some discreet fact-finding, the group concluded that they were true: that Bill was indeed having an affair - and not a frivolous one-night stand but a sustained romantic relationship," the book says.

- During the heated early weeks of 2008, Bill Clinton helped sink his wife's chances for a key endorsement from Ted Kennedy by belittling Barack Obama as nothing but a race-based candidate.

"A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee," the former president told the liberal lion.

The book says Kennedy was deeply offended and it helped convince him to go ahead with his pass-the-torch endorsement of Obama, a pivotal campaign moment.

The ex-prez reportedly griped bitterly, "the only reason you are endorsing him is because he's black. Let's just be clear."

It's pretty amazing Hillary puts up with Bill, innit it? The guy remains a sleazeball.

Im gonna have to go grab this one. I wonder if Hillary ever gets any on the side??

I hope so. She's got my number.

That's why she asked Biden if she could "call him Joe", something that seemed like a crafty maneuver at the time but was really due to the fact that the woman is mentally challenged.

Perhaps, but I think it was also to set him up for the "Say it ain't so, Joe" zinger.

Perhaps, but I think it was also to set him up for the "Say it ain't so, Joe" zinger.

After seeing the 60 Minutes piece, I'm convinced 100% she asked to call him Joe because she couldn't help the "O'Biden" tic. She even let one slip during the debate.

he was a great president though. you must admit the 90s was a great time for the US

Definitely, no arguments there - voted for him twice, supported him even throughout Lewinskygate. He's just been a perpetual embarrassment, and either too egotistical or too stupid to realize it.

I think Gov. Palin has her work cut out for her - even Glenn Beck is giving her hell:

Beck Calls 'Bullcrap' On Palin's Non-Answer About Favorite Founding Father (VIDEO)

During that video you can almost hear her inner voice...

I.V.: "Blabber, buy time, delay... delay just long enough to remember one founding father... I can't even think of one, can I? Oh come on Sarah, think! Wait, there was that general dude.. president.. dollar bill.. uh... keep delaying, Beck is catching on to me... Just like that Katie Coorsshack... Another media moment gotcha... Was.. Wasomething... Washington!'

Palin: "George Washington lead them there fathers, so he had to rise to the top - you betcha!"