Mo’Nique in “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire”

Animated Feature Film

“Coraline” Henry Selick

“Fantastic Mr. Fox” Wes Anderson

“The Princess and the Frog” John Musker and Ron Clements

“The Secret of Kells” Tomm Moore

“Up” Pete Docter

Art Direction

“Avatar” Art Direction: Rick Carter and Robert Stromberg; Set Decoration: Kim Sinclair

“The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus” Art Direction: Dave Warren and Anastasia Masaro; Set Decoration: Caroline Smith

“Nine” Art Direction: John Myhre; Set Decoration: Gordon Sim

“Sherlock Holmes” Art Direction: Sarah Greenwood; Set Decoration: Katie Spencer

“The Young Victoria” Art Direction: Patrice Vermette; Set Decoration: Maggie Gray

Cinematography

“Avatar” Mauro Fiore

“Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” Bruno Delbonnel

“The Hurt Locker” Barry Ackroyd

“Inglourious Basterds” Robert Richardson

“The White Ribbon” Christian Berger

Costume Design

“Bright Star” Janet Patterson

“Coco before Chanel” Catherine Leterrier

“The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus” Monique Prudhomme

“Nine” Colleen Atwood

“The Young Victoria” Sandy Powell

Directing

“Avatar” James Cameron

“The Hurt Locker” Kathryn Bigelow

“Inglourious Basterds” Quentin Tarantino

“Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” Lee Daniels

“Up in the Air” Jason Reitman

Documentary (Feature)

“Burma VJ” Anders Østergaard and Lise Lense-Møller

“The Cove” Nominees to be determined

“Food, Inc.” Robert Kenner and Elise Pearlstein

“The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers” Judith Ehrlich and Rick Goldsmith

“Which Way Home” Rebecca Cammisa

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Picture

The Blind Side

District 9

An Education

The Hurt Locker

Inglourious Basterds

Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire

A Serious Man

Up

Up in the Air

Casualties if it were still only 5 noms:

Blind Side

District 9

An Education

Precious

Up

Avatar makes the list because of its boffo boxoffice.

Guest Runaway Jim

Avatar makes the list because of its boffo boxoffice.

Avatar makes the list because it's awesome.

That said, I'm rooting for The Hurt Locker. And for Kathryn Bigelow for directing.

Guest Runaway Jim

Could someone please explain the fascination with Penelope Cruz? Is she really that great of an actress? I just don't get it.

No. I think she's dreadful and unpretty.

I'm rooting for The Dude to win one for Crazy Heart.

Me too! :thumbup

Could someone please explain the fascination with Penelope Cruz? Is she really that great of an actress? I just don't get it.

Yeah, I always thought the same thing! I just don't get it either!

I don't agree with Up as a Best Picture nominee. Part of it is that it's already nominated for Animated FIlm and the other part is that I thought that it wasn't as good as Wall*E.

I knew that The Hangover would never get nominated, since the Academy is pretty snobbish toward comedies. I expected to see Invictus in there due to it being a great film and directed by Clint Eastwood. I also thought that A Single Man and Crazy Heart would sneak in, since I didn't picture District 9 getting noticed. And 500 Days Of Summer I felt should have been in there instead of The Blind Side. I haven't seen An Education, so I don't know you know you know you know you know.

Oh and one last thing: If anyone else directed Avatar, it would never have been nominated or made as much money. It doesn't make much sense, but only the Lord Of The Rings have been successful at getting a nomination and being sci-fi fantasy.

Guest Speed Racer

I don't agree with Up as a Best Picture nominee. Part of it is that it's already nominated for Animated FIlm and the other part is that I thought that it wasn't as good as Wall*E.

Lots of films in Best Picture are nominated in other categories; if it was one of the best films of the year according to the Academy, should it not also be considered one of the best animated films? If the Academy thought it was one of the best films of the year, should they have restricted it to the animated category...just 'cause?

I think that measuring certain genres and categories against previous years is more than silly; I think Forrest Gump was a tremendous film, but I don't knock other films in that category because they aren't as good as Forrest Gump.

Lots of films in Best Picture are nominated in other categories; if it was one of the best films of the year according to the Academy, should it not also be considered one of the best animated films? If the Academy thought it was one of the best films of the year, should they have restricted it to the animated category...just 'cause?

I think that measuring certain genres and categories against previous years is more than silly; I think Forrest Gump was a tremendous film, but I don't knock other films in that category because they aren't as good as Forrest Gump.

Yes, I see it completely redundant to nominate it in both categories. (Screenplay is different. The Messenger & In The Loop got into those categories and not 2 from the Best Picture club. In the past getting a screenplay nod was like saying "well, you know we only have 5 spots for Best Pic so this is like a runner up category for those 'edgier" films) It's a spot filler in Best Picture and should win Best Animated, so that's why it seems a bit silly to me.

The Academy measures against previous years more than anybody. That's why they decided to add 5 nominees to Best Picture to "make up" for The Dark Knight &/or Wall*E snubs. I can guarantee that they will change this format after one year. For the record, I don't really put much stock into what they award/nominate mostly because it seems like they are always a year behind. i.e. Russell Crowe wins in 2000 for Gladiator (?) and not in 1999 for The Insider etc.

Edit: Let's take your thoughts and put them into a hypothetical situation. Ok. The Academy keeps this format for the next 5 years. Ok. Each year the "best" animated film sneaks into the Best Picture race and never wins. Don't you think some people would get upset about that? Even moreso if it keeps winning Best Animated and just serves as a spot filler.

Guest Speed Racer

Not if the best animated film of the year was also one of the best films of the year. I don't see the category as redundant at all. There are many years where the best animated film was not one of the best films of the year, and I imagine there will be many years like that in the future, too. The last I checked, the majority of films nominated for Best Picture don't actually win - are they spot fillers, too? Throwing an animated film into the Best Picture category isn't a "spot filler," it's an honor.

If Avatar wins for best picture, I will kill myself.

Or at least bitch about it for a couple of days on 2 message boards and facebook, and to my friends and loved ones. That'll probably suffice.

Guest Runaway Jim

That's why they decided to add 5 nominees to Best Picture to "make up" for The Dark Knight &/or Wall*E snubs.

Except that The Dark Knight was not a snub. It wasn't that good.

I kind of like the idea of nominating 10 movies, but it risks making the Academy Awards seem like The People's Choice Awards 2.

Avatar and Blind Side are both decent entertainment, but I would never think of either as Oscar caliber.

I think "Up" is deserving of a nominee, regardless whether it's in the animated category or not.

Of the nominated movies I've actually seen, I'd vote for "Up in the Air."

Guest Runaway Jim

If Avatar wins for best picture, I will kill myself.

Or at least bitch about it for a couple of days on 2 message boards and facebook, and to my friends and loved ones. That'll probably suffice.

I think we got the picture in the Avatar thread. You didn't like.

Where's the fascination you speak of? It's not like she's not a superstar or anything. She did win an Oscar, though.

If the Academy's goal was to nominate a good, well-attended, crowd-pleasing popcorn film (which is how I'd classify Avatar), Star Trek should have been the one....by a long shot. Not only was Star Trek good entertainment, but it was fun and funny in parts....something James Cameron doesn't seem to understand.

And if they nominated 10 movies last year, there WAS a deserving super-hero movie....it was called Iron Man.

Plus, there's no surprise for the Best Animated Film category. Let's see Up was nominated in both categories. I wonder if it will win Best Animated? Anti-climactic indeed. Anne Hathaway should have announced that award this morning. Up wins Best Animated and save us all the suspense.

You can pick apart the Oscar's any which way and they all begin to not make sense. Such as how can an actor be nominated for a film that isn't up for a Best Screenplay? Are they pulling words out of the air that are qualifying as Oscar caliber? Take a look at Jeff Bridges, for example, he is a sure fire win for Best Actor and the film isn't nominated for Best Screenplay, Director and Picture. It all seems a bit odd when you look at it that way.

Best Screenplay is complimentary to a Best Picture nomination. But then again Avatar got snubbed in that category.

Guest Speed Racer

Plus, there's no surprise for the Best Animated Film category. Let's see Up was nominated in both categories. I wonder if it will win Best Animated? Anti-climactic indeed. Anne Hathaway should have announced that award this morning. Up wins Best Animated and save us all the suspense.

I'm sorry they spoiled the surprise for you.

You can pick apart the Oscar's any which way and they all begin to not make sense. Such as how can an actor be nominated for a film that isn't up for a Best Screenplay? Are they pulling words out of the air that are qualifying as Oscar caliber? Take a look at Jeff Bridges, for example, he is a sure fire win for Best Actor and the film isn't nominated for Best Screenplay, Director and Picture. It all seems a bit odd when you look at it that way.

Acting is different than reading, and you know that. Jeff Bridges truly gets into his character, to the point where you forget he's Jeff, forget he's the Dude, and believe that he's Bad Blake. The screenplay wasn't bad, to be sure. If nothing else, the Oscars show you how many minute details can contribute to the success or failure of a film.

Well, I think it's safe to say that if it was the old format these would be the 5 nominees for Best Picture which link up neatly with Best Director.

The Hurt Locker

Inglourious Basterds

Precious

Up In The Air

It won't happen, but I'd love to see Fantastic Mr. Fox win best animated film. I loved Up as well, but I think Fox was a better movie.

I preferred Up, but Fantastic Mr. Fox was very worth seeing. I love how the movie was made and designed.

I'm very curious to see the nominated "The Secret of Kells". Supposedly it won't be released in the States until Spring. It's an Irish film and sounds interesting.

"Ponyo on a Cliff By the Sea" was also very good and it would have been on my Top 5 list.