What was the deal with George Clooney? The stare-down between he and Alec Baldwin seemed awkwardly weird to me. Nearly every time the camera was on him, he looked dour and somewhat pissed off. Not sure if the "jokes" that Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin Anyone opened with had anything to do with his mood or not.

Did anyone else notice the unhappy Clooney?

Yeah, he seemed to be annoyed, but I thought it was a put-on. Who knows, though.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the deal with George Clooney? The stare-down between he and Alec Baldwin seemed awkwardly weird to me. Nearly every time the camera was on him, he looked dour and somewhat pissed off. Not sure if the "jokes" that Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin Anyone opened with had anything to do with his mood or not.

Did anyone else notice the unhappy Clooney?

It's part of his schtick. Everybody comments on how wonderful he is and he acts put out. His girlfriend, however, seemed really pissed off.

I haven't watched the Academy Awards in a few years, up until last night. They used to have so many more categories. They used to break down film genres, and had nominations for each category. When did they pare them down to the number we saw last night?

The categories have been the same since 2001, when they added Best Animated Feature. The only award that's been cut recently was Best Original Musical or Comedy Score, which only lasted from 95-99. Otherwise, the awards have been the same for several decades.

I think it was a put-on too, though I didn't think so at first.

By the by, how fucking cool is Jeff Bridges?

He didn't see to be channeling Bad Blake...he seemed to be channeling the Dude.

By the way...Bridges is slated to appear in the remake of True Grit(the John Wayne role, Matt Damon in the Glenn Campbell role, and Barry Pepper in the Robert Duval role).

Bridges was interviewed last night by a Good Morning America correspondent who asked him what he would say to his father. He completely broke down into tears and said "I've got the baton, Dad!" The interviewer woman broke down, too, and gave him a hug. It was really pretty moving.

The categories have been the same since 2001, when they added Best Animated Feature. The only award that's been cut recently was Best Original Musical or Comedy Score, which only lasted from 95-99. Otherwise, the awards have been the same for several decades.

Gotcha. As I said in my original post, it had been several years since I'd watched the Oscars. I wasn't kidding.

I thought Martin and Baldwin were great

Clooney was just playing a bit

I thought this was one of the better Oscar shows, all in all.

I'm sure your impression had nothing to do with Avatar (deservedly) being locked out of the big awards. ;-)

I'm sure your impression had nothing to do with Avatar (deservedly) being locked out of the big awards. ;-)

oddly since the show ran over, and the wife only set the DVR to record 15 minutes over, I missed the presentation for director and best movie (as well as Bullock's acceptance--was it any good?). I took Betlmann's advice and got over my Avatar disdain far in advance of the show, in order to avoid having to make repairs to the apartment. to each his own (sucky movie).

Bullock's acceptance was very good. Best of the night.

The emotion she showed and her comments about loving childrn were poignant given her personal situation.

I think she was referring to the controversy surrounding her film - "politics", aka: people being critical of and questioning the purpose of Precious. To many it comes across as a white-guilt voyeurism trip wrapped in a faux righteous indictment of the welfare system. I've heard this argument a lot in the media, so I bet Mo'Nique has probably heard it about 100,000 times more than I have.

You might be right, but I thought she was referring to a different controversy: Apparently, some people in Hollywood thought Mo'Nique should have campaigned harder for herself--I guess the way she refused to play the typical Hollywood campaign game was "scandalous" and alienated some of the Academy voters.

Farrah Fawcett was a TV star. Were they supposed to show a montage of Cannonball Run and Logan's Run?

She got Oscar buzz for this movie role:

Extremities

and she Co-Starred with Jeff Bridges in this one:

Somebody killed her Husband

My $.02:

*Loved the show -- martin and baldwin were hilarious. Loved the bit where they were in bed together. Jake and I had a big laugh over that one this morning

*The Clooney thing seemed contrived though -- but there was not "anger" per se

*The acceptance speeches were mostly great, though I HATE when they cut people off

*I also thought it was very odd that there was mention of Michael Jackson who was maybe in one feature film (The Wiz if memory serves) yet none of Farrah who was in several (though mostly terrible films) and certainly was more of an actress

*Loved the John Hughes tribute

Next year I swear I will actually see one of the movies before the oscars.

Anyone know what the hell Sean Penn was talking about during his Best Actress intro when he said “actors don’t win this two years in a row”...?

I'd wager even Penn didn't know what he was talking about.

Thanks for the info Beltmann, re: Mo'Nique/politics. Hadn't known about that. Sounds like that was it.

Best parts: Baldwin, after applauding Woody Harrelson: "he's so high!" / Martin after a really nice heartfelt speech from a 'nobody': "I wrote that speech for him."

Anyone know what the hell Sean Penn was talking about during his Best Actress intro when he said “actors don’t win this two years in a row”...?

apparently he didn't thank his wife last year and was saying that he and the academy both forget to acknowledge deserving women...or something.

I'd wager even Penn didn't know what he was talking about.

;) True!! I just hate those moments where I feel like I have no idea what just happened, like maybe I had a mini stroke or something and just missed the important part of what was said...

Farrah Fawcett was a TV star. Were they supposed to show a montage of Cannonball Run and Logan's Run?

she was in The Apostle (as well as several other movies) and received a golden globe nomination for her role in a move. They managed to include Michael Jackson but not her. Anyone want to name how many movies he was in...

Guest Runaway Jim

They've said before that they don't have enough time to include everyone in the memorium. How they choose which people to include, I don't know. But I remember that they didn't include Brad Renfro a couple of years ago and that was their reply.