• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody have an idea why Monique was so pissed off?

i didnt take her for being pissed off. i think she was taken in by the moment, full of emotions.

i dont know, maybe she was pissed off.

Sounded pissed off to me.

I would like to thank the academy for showing that it can be about the performance and not the politics
doesn't sound particularly happy.

And the look on Samuel L. Jackson's face (in the quick crowd cut shot) gave me the impression he thought so too.

I actually thought most everything that won tonight was pretty deserving. There wasn't a hell of a lot of ego-tripping tonight, the Best Actor was as low key of a guy as Hollywood has ever produced, the Best Picture winner was barely able to get made, financed, produced and distributed, the Best Director was a woman for the first time in history, and Cameron didn't have a chance to repeat his "King of the World" speech. I agreed that Tarantino should have won for the Inglourious Basterds screenplay, which was brilliant, but I'm willing to let that one slide.

The ceremony itself, Martin and Baldwin, the dance number and some of the acceptance speeches I was pretty meh on, but that's what the fast forward button on the TiVo remote is for. :thumbup

The soundtrack is the best I've heard in along time...and I'd truly be embarrassed to admit how many times I've listened to Ryan Bingham doing "The Weary Kind" since I saw the movie the first time on Monday (and again on Tuesday ;))

I thought the soundtrack to Crazy Heart was not good at all. As a huge Bridges, T-Bone and Countryish music fan I was super disappointed. It all sounded contrived and purposeless.

Also, Crazy Heart was the exact same premise as "The Wrestler" just a year later. Guy, substance abuser who used to be on top, meets a younger woman who has a kid (who reminds him of his own kid) and falls in love with them (for whatever reason, cause they're way out of their collective league) and ends the movie ambiguously back on top. Why is no one talking about this?

Random thoughts:

Steve and Alec were great.

Meryl is super attractive.

Most people who won deserved it.

Happy to see "Jim" Cameron lose. Sad to see Quentin lose.

i agree with you uncool. the opening sequence grabbed me and kept me going for the rest of the movie. Q got screwed.

Inglourious Basterds was definitely my favorite film of the year (followed by Adventureland and Up in the Air), and maybe my favorite of all of Tarantino's films. The Hurt Locker was great but I don't think it would even make my top 5.

I finally saw Doubt this week, too, and still can't believe anyone actually thought Slumdog Millionaire was a better movie last year. Just for fun I looked at about the last 20 best picture winners today and it's amazing how poorly some of them have aged and how many were absolutely robbed--L.A. Confidential, anyone?

Also, Crazy Heart was the exact same premise as "The Wrestler" just a year later. Guy, substance abuser who used to be on top, meets a younger woman who has a kid (who reminds him of his own kid) and falls in love with them (for whatever reason, cause they're way out of their collective league) and ends the movie ambiguously back on top. Why is no one talking about this?

Because it's kind of hard for a book written in 1987 to rip off a movie that was written and shot in the '00s:

http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Heart-Thomas-Cobb/dp/0060158034

Robert Downey Jr, was eye candy.

The only category I really gave a crap about was animated feature film, and "Up" won. I would have liked to see "...Mr. Fox", but oh well. "Up" was still good.

Did anybody else notice the glaring ommission in the IN MEMORIAM portion of the show?

No mention of

Farrah-Fawcett2.jpg

There have been people who had far less active film careers than Fawcett who were featured in that memorial montage.

I didn't catch the whole montage (walked in shortly after it began). Seriously, they left her out?

Anybody have an idea why Monique was so pissed off?

I think she was referring to the controversy surrounding her film - "politics", aka: people being critical of and questioning the purpose of Precious. To many it comes across as a white-guilt voyeurism trip wrapped in a faux righteous indictment of the welfare system. I've heard this argument a lot in the media, so I bet Mo'Nique has probably heard it about 100,000 times more than I have.

Either way, she totally effin' deserved it.

To each , his (or her) own...There are many films that follow a similar story arc. For this particular story though, it's the actors and the music that brought it to life and made this particular film stand out more than others similar in kind. I'd say the reason no one is talking about it is because the heart and soul Jeff Bridges poured into his character far outweighs the unoriginal story argument. But that's just me!! For me, it's one of the best films I've ever seen and I'll be watching it for the rest of my life

What was the deal with George Clooney? The stare-down between he and Alec Baldwin seemed awkwardly weird to me. Nearly every time the camera was on him, he looked dour and somewhat pissed off. Not sure if the "jokes" that Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin Anyone opened with had anything to do with his mood or not.

Did anyone else notice the unhappy Clooney?

I haven't watched the Academy Awards in a few years, up until last night. They used to have so many more categories. They used to break down film genres, and had nominations for each category. When did they pare them down to the number we saw last night?

Guest Runaway Jim

I never knew that Steve Martin could be so UNfunny.

I don't know what you're talking about. He's one person that is always funny to me. I thought he and Baldwin were good together. I enjoyed them taking little shots at each other all night. That was funny.