Bad albums by bands you love...

i'm currently trying to do this with genesis and rush. it was rough at first, but he actual bands reveal themselves after several listens and the production really doesn't matter.

still, i'm a bit embarrassed to reveal which discs i'm working on :shifty although, one could probably guess.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying these are bad records but they are the ones by bands I love that I can't get into:

Neil Young - Prairie Wind, Living With War and a couple of the mid-eighties efforts;

Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey. I love this period of Van's work but can't love this one;

The Jayhawks - Smile. Just too polished and contempory sounding. I understand what they were trying to do, but they failed.

Lambchop - How I Quit Smoking. I love every Lambchop record apart from this one. Not sure why;

My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges. Some good tracks but some very poor ones too. Shame;

Genesis: A Trick of The Tail. I love Genesis a lot but this one, bar Los Endos, does nothing for me. Don't know any other Genesis fan who feels the same but there you go.

Bjork: The last two records. I was a big fan but kind of lost interest with her recent releases. I gave them a go but they just didn't work for me in the way that Homogenic or Vesperine did.

Aerosmith: Honking on Bobo. I really wanted to love this as I always thought they would make a great blues-rock album. Sadly it just didn't work.

Micah P. Hinson: All dress up. I'm a big fan of Micah's first three albums but this covers album was poor with some stange choices of song. Still love the guy though and will always give his albums more than a fair chance.

Bob Dylan: Quite a few actually. Let him off though cause his best stuff is better than everyone elses.

I would like to say an an interesting aside that, in my honest opinion, Tom Waits is the only major artist that has never put out a bad album. Everyone else has duff records in their catalogue but Toms output is immaculate...so far.

I would like to say an an interesting aside that, in my honest opinion, Tom Waits is the only major artist that has never put out a bad album. Everyone else has duff records in their catalogue but Toms output is immaculate...so far.

Completely agree...as long as I've been a fan, I thought that same thing! I mean, even his 80's albums have stood the test of time. Can't say the same for Dylan. :thumbup

Zappa: Thing Fish

Traffic: Shootout at the Fantasy Factory

Pink Floyd: The Wall

I was thinking about Pink Floyd but I love The Wall. The one I have always struggled with is 'Atom heart Mother'. The titled track is far too overblown and 'Alan's Psycadelic Breakfast' is just poor. I also didn't really take to the two post-Waters records much as I would have liked too.

I'm not saying these are bad records but they are the ones by bands I love that I can't get into:

Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey. I love this period of Van's work but can't love this one;

The Jayhawks - Smile. Just too polished and contempory sounding. I understand what they were trying to do, but they failed.

My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges. Some good tracks but some very poor ones too. Shame;

Agree on all points except for Tupelo Honey. Love this one.

Agree on all points except for Tupelo Honey. Love this one.

In the spirit of this thread and you're love of 'Tupelo Honey' I'll give it another go tonight. Can't fault the title track and also 'Wild Night' but the other tracks haven't hit home. Now 'Veeden Fleece' on the other hand is perfect in every way.

Completely agree...as long as I've been a fan, I thought that same thing! I mean, even his 80's albums have stood the test of time. Can't say the same for Dylan. :thumbup

good point about waits. not a huge fan, but he sure has maintained creative integrity.

Neil Young - Prairie Wind, Living With War and a couple of the mid-eighties efforts;

Lambchop - How I Quit Smoking. I love every Lambchop record apart from this one. Not sure why;

Genesis: A Trick of The Tail. I love Genesis a lot but this one, bar Los Endos, does nothing for me. Don't know any other Genesis fan who feels the same but there you go.

Bjork: The last two records. I was a big fan but kind of lost interest with her recent releases. I gave them a go but they just didn't work for me in the way that Homogenic or Vesperine did.

Aerosmith: Honking on Bobo. I really wanted to love this as I always thought they would make a great blues-rock album. Sadly it just didn't work.

Micah P. Hinson: All dress up. I'm a big fan of Micah's first three albums but this covers album was poor with some stange choices of song. Still love the guy though and will always give his albums more than a fair chance.

Bob Dylan: Quite a few actually. Let him off though cause his best stuff is better than everyone elses.

Trick of the Tail so so so good. interesting you don't like it. concerning neil young, he's the only artist that i like every damn thing the guy puts out. EVERYTHING. that's not to say i prefer some more than others. objectively, he's got some real cringe worthy music. i love it though!

Trick of the Tail so so so good. interesting you don't like it. concerning neil young, he's the only artist that i like every damn thing the guy puts out. EVERYTHING. that's not to say i prefer some more than others. objectively, he's got some real cringe worthy music. i love it though!

Yeah I'm not sure why I don't love 'Trick of the Tail'. I much prefer 'Wind and Withering' and 'And Then There Were Three..' from the same period. I totally understand where you're coming from with Neil but no matter how much of a fan I am I still can't stomach some of his output. I still buy everyone on release but some get filed away to gather dust (Everybody's Rockin, Old Ways, Life and Landing on Water especially!).

The first one that comes to mind is The Smiths - "Rank". Although, it's a live album so I'm not sure if it should count. Live albums seem to be hit or miss.

This is tough because I think there are a number of bands/artists that just don't make good records anymore (U2, R.E.M). I'm trying to think of bands who have an album that's a clunker and the clunker is the anomale.

In the spirit of this thread and you're love of 'Tupelo Honey' I'll give it another go tonight. Can't fault the title track and also 'Wild Night' but the other tracks haven't hit home. Now 'Veeden Fleece' on the other hand is perfect in every way.

If you can, you should listen to it on vinyl. I almost always listen to Paul Simon's self-titled debut as a companion to this record for some reason...I just love the vibe of these records.

be_here_now.jpg

Edit: Actually every Oasis album other than Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory qualifies.

I enjoyed the bulk majority of Don't Believe the Truth. And The Masterplan, while not an official album but a B-Sides collection, is pretty solid straight-through. There are enough good tracks from that to make an album on the level of Definitely Maybe or What's the Story Morning Glory.