Bad albums by bands you love...

I'd guess that there are not too many people here that are a bigger King Crimson fanatic than I am, but I have to say the LP Lizard just doesn't make the nut for me. It really is the definition of pretentious, imo.

You'd think that with folks like Keith Tippett, Mel Collins, and guest vocals by Jon Anderson the record would be a killer - but it's not. At all. The next record - Islands - is only marginally better. Those two records come in between the classic first lineup, and the AWESOME Lark's Tongues/Starless/Red lineup. My guess is Der Fripperstien had contractual obligations to meet with KC '71.

The odd thing is the live shows I've heard from that period are really interesting, and pretty damn good. Go figure.

couldn't agree more about lizard and especially islands. from lark's tongue through red, they were insanely good though

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are few truly "bad" albums by bands I love. Now all the "new" Son Volt stuff is Bad in my opinion, but I don't recognize that lineup as Son Volt.

Neil Young's catalouge speaks for itself after Hawks & Doves, but that has been well documented here.

There have been some underwhelming albums by bands I love. Only one coming to mind this am would be:

Sun Kil Moon - April (just never could connect with it, long, boring, monotone)

PS: After about three full spins of the new Midlake, I'm wondering where it will fall? So far it is SLOWLY growing, but on the surface no where near as captivating as Van Occupanther (but I am drawn back enough to give it a chance)

the downfall begins with the second side of H&Ds :)

concerning KC, been digging the Thrak album lately.

Meat Puppets have several albums that suck balls.

• No Joke!

• Monsters

and even...

• Meat Puppets

No Joke does suck. However, I'm shocked you'd list Meat Puppets up there . There are some classic angst-ridden tunes on there and it's the album that started it all. Monsters is a pretty excellent album, too, imo. "Party Til the World Obeys" and "The Void" are weak, but everything else on there I quite like. In particular, "Touchdown King," one of my all-time favorite Pups tunes.

To each his own, of course.

The Clash - Cut the Crap.

Actually, I'm just assuming it's a bad album. I've never bothered listening to it.

Never listened to it either. Cripes I don't think I've even heard of it. Is this the last one after Mick Jones and the drummer had left (or been booted from) the band?

I have Cut The Crap - inherited it when my wife and I merged collections - she had it as a hand-me-down from a friend's older brother.

Let me check who's on it (I know Mick isn't)...

"The Clash":

Joe Strummer

Paul Simonon

Nick Sheppard

Pete Howard

Vince White

I think I listened to this once (maybe only one side of it), and though I have no plans to give it another spin, I can tell you Joe looks fuckin' cool in the jacket photo.

Well, it is out now...

OK I'm not sure I'm going to make it past the first song, "Dictator". It sounds like if (in 1985) Roger Waters heard Big Audio Dynamite and hired Fishbone to make a song in response.

Second song sucks more. Loud tuneless riff. Off. Sorry.

REM- Reveal and Around the Sun (unlike a lot of REM fanatics, I think I consider Reveal a worse album than the much-maligned ATS, but they're both stinkers)

South San Gabriel- Carlton Chronicles (I realize that this is beloved by many Will Johnson fans, but I just can't get into it)

Robert Pollard- Superman Was a Rocker (god bless you, Uncle Bob, but this album is dreadful)

Well, it is out now...

OK I'm not sure I'm going to make it past the first song, "Dictator". It sounds like if (in 1985) Roger Waters heard Big Audio Dynamite and hired Fishbone to make a song in response.

Second song sucks more. Loud tuneless riff. Off. Sorry.

Only Clash album I don't own. Good to know I'm not missing anything.

I love New Morning!

Ditto. "Day of the Locusts," is one of my favorite Dylan tunes, too. New Morning is solid all the way through, imo.

Self Portrait is pretty bad, though there are several tracks I go to on it.

Guest Runaway Jim

I also love New Morning. I too love "Day of the Locusts", though "Went to See the Gypsy" is the tune that really stands out for me.

The Dylan album I can't get into is John Wesley Harding.

The outro from "Hello, Goodbye" aside, I've never been a big fan of The Magical Mystery Tour.

While I mostly listen to Phish's live stuff, I will occasionally give their studio stuff some play time. But never Hoist. I love the songs live, but just don't like the album.

No Joke does suck. However, I'm shocked you'd list Meat Puppets up there . There are some classic angst-ridden tunes on there and it's the album that started it all. Monsters is a pretty excellent album, too, imo. "Party Til the World Obeys" and "The Void" are weak, but everything else on there I quite like. In particular, "Touchdown King," one of my all-time favorite Pups tunes.

I'll agree and disagree with both of you on this. I'm with Pop Todd on Meat Puppets. I heard Meat Puppets II first and when I went back and got the first one I couldn't believe it was the same band.

But I agree with Lammycat on Monsters. I like that one. And while we are talking Meat Puppets, I think Forbidden Places is their great, overlooked album.

I'll agree and disagree with both of you on this. I'm with Pop Todd on Meat Puppets. I heard Meat Puppets II first and when I went back and got the first one I couldn't believe it was the same band.

But I agree with Lammycat on Monsters. I like that one. And while we are talking Meat Puppets, I think Forbidden Places is their great, overlooked album.

Yes!

"Sam" shoulda been a hit. And "Ten Gallon Pie" melts my face every time. I saw them do that one live, and I still don't know how Curt plays it!

As to the debut. I want to like it. I really do. But it's just damn near unlistenable! Sloppy, poorly played and sang. Just... ugh.

I will try to give it another listen, but I don't hold much hope for it, I'm sad to say.

the final cut - pink floyd

I actually love that album. It's pretty much a Roger Waters solo album with David Gilmour guitar solos but some of his best lyrics ever.

Now the Division Bell, that sucks.

New Morning is an incredible album. It's probably Dylan's best "minor masterpiece," and I don't mean that in a bad way at all. It's a really, really good album, because it's so relaxed, and simple. There's plenty to like about it.

exactly. production values are kinda low, but the songs make up for it. Sign In The Window and Time Passes Slowly are my favorite from it.

Neil Young's catalouge speaks for itself after Hawks & Doves, but that has been well documented here.

This is a very lazy and tired statement. Hard not to argue that there are a higher percentage of clunkers with his post-H&D's output. But to dismiss all those albums as bad is simplistic and ignorant.

Freedom

Ragged Glory

Harvest Moon

Sleeps With Angels

Broken Arrow

Silver & Gold

Greendale

Prairie Wind

Those are all good to excellent albums if you took the time to listen.

Another shitty Neil record I didn't see is Fork in the Road. Plain horrible.