Bad albums by bands you love...

Talking Heads - True Stories, Naked

I love these guys, but these discs were clearly the beginning of the end. They're sort of in between Little Creatures and David Byrne's Rei Momo in terms of quality, and neither goes far enough in either direction, if that makes sense. A couple good tracks on each disc, but that's about it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard for me to go so far as to say "bad" because if it's a band or artist that I love, there's always something redeeming about it.

That being said, even Elvis Costello has said that Goodbye Cruel World sucks ass. And I bet Dylan would say the same thing about Under The Red Sky. In fairness, it probably has more to do with the production and the 80s in general than the songs themselves. Both albums have some great songs, actually. And both have a special certain place in my heart anyway. See this is why I can't do this.

Talking Heads - True Stories, Naked

I love these guys, but these discs were clearly the beginning of the end. They're sort of in between Little Creatures and David Byrne's Rei Momo in terms of quality, and neither goes far enough in either direction, if that makes sense. A couple good tracks on each disc, but that's about it.

I hear you, mostly - but I like a lot more of Naked than you. It falls apart after like 8 songs or so, for me. After that, each tune feels like it has to be last one....but it's not.

Either way, I'm with you that these mark a band that was (as RS put it) Byrned out.

I hear you, mostly - but I like a lot more of Naked than you. It falls apart after like 8 songs or so, for me. After that, each tune feels like it has to be last one....but it's not.

Either way, I'm with you that these mark a band that was (as RS put it) Byrned out.

Naked is a good album, but I don't even think of it as a Talking Heads album. It sounds like a David Byrne solo album, with a big band backing him up. Jerry's, Chris's, Tina's contributions are buried under the big band. Maybe that's why it was their last album?

I never knew so many people didn't like Wilco (The Album) - I don't feel so alone any more!

I don't like Planet Waves by Bob Dylan, but love everything else up until the 1980s. I include Self Portrait & Dylan in that - both of which I really like, I just don't like the sound of Planet Waves or something. Oh, actually I forgot The Times They're A-Changin' - I don't like that either. Can i have 2?

Wild Frank - how can you not like Tupelo Honey? I suggest you listen to Moonshine Whiskey a few times in a row. I mean, it's not as great as Moondance, St. Dominic's Preview or Veedon Fleece, but it's probably the one that makes me the most happy when I listen to it.

I would like to say an an interesting aside that, in my honest opinion, Tom Waits is the only major artist that has never put out a bad album. Everyone else has duff records in their catalogue but Toms output is immaculate...so far.

The Beatles put out a bad album? or maybe you don't like the Beatles.

The Beatles put out a bad album? or maybe you don't like the Beatles.

...funny you should say that. Last year I started a thread on here about me not liking the Beatles. It got quite interesting if I recall. I'm not really in a position to say whether or not they put out a bad album but I suppose their recorded output only covered 10-15 years whereas other major artists have had 30-40 years careers. Not sure what my point is....but no, I'm not a Beatles Fan.

...funny you should say that. Last year I started a thread on here about me not liking the Beatles. It got quite interesting if I recall. I'm not really in a position to say whether or not they put out a bad album but I suppose their recorded output only covered 10-15 years whereas other major artists have had 30-40 years careers. Not sure what my point is....but no, I'm not a Beatles Fan.

I remember that thread! That makes more sense. I expect to see you in the "Bands I now Love" thread very soon.

Actually the Beatles only really had about a 7 year recording career.

Yeah I'm not sure why I don't love 'Trick of the Tail'. I much prefer 'Wind and Withering' and 'And Then There Were Three..' from the same period. I totally understand where you're coming from with Neil but no matter how much of a fan I am I still can't stomach some of his output. I still buy everyone on release but some get filed away to gather dust (Everybody's Rockin, Old Ways, Life and Landing on Water especially!).

i actually like landing on water. it is horrible, but i like it. i wish he would rework those songs solo acoustic. especially, Drifter.

The Jayhawks - Smile. Just too polished and contempory sounding. I understand what they were trying to do, but they failed.

Completely agree. I didn't listen to Rainy Day Music for probably 2-3 years after it came out because I disliked Smile so much. Now Rainy Day is one of my favorite Jayhawks discs.

This:

f13330w0nxs.jpg

Nearly everything the man made before it is pure genius. This is pure shit. Everything he's done since is mediocre. I can't think of an artist who has had such a negative career-defining moment as this album.

Landing on Water

Everybody's Rocking

Old Ways

Trans

I was just listening to Teenage Fanclub's album 13 today. That's the album that really made me love that band but listening to it today made me realize the production is really muddy and is not as crisp sounding as their other albums.

Does that count? I really like the record and don't think it's a "bad" record, just needs a facelift.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Southern Accents

It certainly does have prodction issues and some really odd songs...But Rebels and Southern Accents are iconic songs.

Landing on Water

Everybody's Rocking

Old Ways

Trans

i would say that LOW, ER, and OW are horrible albums. i love them though. Trans is actually a great album. I cannot wait to hear what would have been Island in The Sun that Geffen rejected before ironically accepting Trans.

This Note's For You is another terrible album, with a few really good songs. Coupe De Ville being one.

I was just listening to Teenage Fanclub's album 13 today. That's the album that really made me love that band but listening to it today made me realize the production is really muddy and is not as crisp sounding as their other albums.

Does that count? I really like the record and don't think it's a "bad" record, just needs a facelift.

Grand Prix is one of the top ten albums of the 90s. i can't seem to get into the other albums. Hang On is great thought. Just way too long.

I'd guess that there are not too many people here that are a bigger King Crimson fanatic than I am, but I have to say the LP Lizard just doesn't make the nut for me. It really is the definition of pretentious, imo.

You'd think that with folks like Keith Tippett, Mel Collins, and guest vocals by Jon Anderson the record would be a killer - but it's not. At all. The next record - Islands - is only marginally better. Those two records come in between the classic first lineup, and the AWESOME Lark's Tongues/Starless/Red lineup. My guess is Der Fripperstien had contractual obligations to meet with KC '71.

The odd thing is the live shows I've heard from that period are really interesting, and pretty damn good. Go figure.

Meat Puppets have several albums that suck balls.

• No Joke!

• Monsters

and even...

• Meat Puppets

There are few truly "bad" albums by bands I love. Now all the "new" Son Volt stuff is Bad in my opinion, but I don't recognize that lineup as Son Volt.

Neil Young's catalouge speaks for itself after Hawks & Doves, but that has been well documented here.

There have been some underwhelming albums by bands I love. Only one coming to mind this am would be:

Sun Kil Moon - April (just never could connect with it, long, boring, monotone)

PS: After about three full spins of the new Midlake, I'm wondering where it will fall? So far it is SLOWLY growing, but on the surface no where near as captivating as Van Occupanther (but I am drawn back enough to give it a chance)