The Besnard Lakes Are The Roaring Night

This band was not on my scope until I heard "Albatross" one day on the XMU station and was seriously rocked by it. I just got it from the iTunes but am too beat to listen to it now, but I am excited. What do you all say?

stunning album/band.

Chicago Train is one of my favorite songs this year by far.

the guitar tones on the 2nd track "Like the Ocean, Like the Innocent Pt. 2: The Innocent" at the end kick so much ass rock.gif

guessing Pfork will give it a pretty high 8 and Best New Music on Fri or Mon (surprised they haven't reviewed it yet, but it's a busier week)

definitely check out their last album 'The Besnard Lakes Are The Dark Horse', it's really damn good too, but i prefer Roaring Night.

loved them in concert and agree with Kyle, this second record is better than the first.

(although I'm sorta concerned about Kyle's caring what Pitchfork thinks or when they will give their number to the record. I know it matters for all kinds of sales and attendance things, but shit, if a band is good, we don't need a rating by mole-person with a thesaurus to tell us) ;)

loved them in concert and agree with Kyle, this second record is better than the first.

(although I'm sorta concerned about Kyle's caring what Pitchfork thinks or when they will give their number to the record. I know it matters for all kinds of sales and attendance things, but shit, if a band is good, we don't need a rating by mole-person with a thesaurus to tell us) ;)

haha... touche.

i actually don't care personally what they think of it as long as i love it, it's just i realize how much of a difference something like that can make for a smaller band like them is all, so hopefully for their sake ;)

Hey, it is definitely a yea. A very well-crafted and complex piece of music. They are officially my new band crush.

It's ok if I am the only guy who doesn't like this album.

Chances are 50/50 I'll be joining you. I've been steered wrong (and right) from reading this board (and others) many times.

Not even kidding: having never heard of this band, I read the thread title and was 100% confident that our friend, the wilco fan in Japan who posts ocassionally, got tipsy at a barenaked ladies show and came back here to post about it :yay

I hope thats inoffensive.

i'd argue there's a lot more to it underneath the surface.

it's not an album you can just sample a few tracks or skip through and fully enjoy, it takes a bit of patience, i'll be the first to admit that.

Listened to their first album a bunch of times, it never really grabbed me outside of one or two tracks (I think "Devastation" was the one I liked, although I'm not even sure that's the right name). Anyway. Is this one just more of the same? If I wasn't sold on the Dark Horse, is this new one worth my time??

No wonder the Besnard Lakes album sounds so good. Check out Lasek Goreas studio gear:

Break glass studios

yup. it's the same console that 'Physical Graffiti' was recorded on:

http://www.spinner.c...s-led-zeppelin/

sleepy.gif

also. blah @ pfork for not recognizing the full brilliance of this one (they gave Dark Horse an 8.3 and this is definitely better, as much as i love that one). oh well, it's pretty high on MetaCritic 51.gif

The "all for you" part after all of the D-Day imagery at the end of that one song is killer!